GDT: Stars @ Sabres 10/22/24, 7:00 PM EDT; MSG, ESPN+, WGR

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

His actual goal % is worst on the team despite his expected goals being one of the best. The team may be valuing actual production vs expected production.

Then how do you explain Cozens leading the team in shots but with no goals and 2 assists (one I think on an empty netter) having the 3rd most ice time among all forwards on the team and being a fixture even strength and on the Power play?

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If that is the case, sit him for 2-3 games if needed. He's young. The team isn't relying on his production. Better he sit for a few games and get to 100% than to keep playing at 80-90% (or whatever he is)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Thanks for the clarity on this one.  Makes sense and provides opportunity for others to elevate their games (that means you Quinn).  Competition for ice is important.  

You are welcome.

I believe anyone would have a hard time finding a coach who does not love Benson’s Game 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Thanks for the clarity on this one.  Makes sense and provides opportunity for others to elevate their games (that means you Quinn).  Competition for ice is important.  

Quinn is mind boggling for me. There has been no mention of an injury with him that I recall. Yes, he had a big injury last year, but he played AFTER it and then had the whole offseason.

-With Cozens, he is getting the same ice time, he is getting the same chances. More shots. He looks pretty much the same player as the last couple years but with Cozens, he simply isn't converting any chances.

-Quinn is different.  He is only getting off 1 shot per game (or less). His skating speed is down. According to NHL edge his 'speed bursts per game' are down. basically, he is skating a LOT worse than last year. Unlike Cozens he isn't getting into good scoring areas. He isn't taking or getting off shots. They have a metric called "Skating distance" and I don't know what it is but he is way higher than last year. Quinn isn't just missing 1 or 2 parts of his game, he really is a totally different player in almost every way and I have zero idea why.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Then how do you explain Cozens leading the team in shots but with no goals and 2 assists (one I think on an empty netter) having the 3rd most ice time among all forwards on the team and being a fixture even strength and on the Power play?

Cozens is 40%, Benson is 25%. They're probably seeing this kid being on the ice for so many GA and saying his inexperience is costing the team.

40 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Quinn is mind boggling for me. There has been no mention of an injury with him that I recall. Yes, he had a big injury last year, but he played AFTER it and then had the whole offseason.

-With Cozens, he is getting the same ice time, he is getting the same chances. More shots. He looks pretty much the same player as the last couple years but with Cozens, he simply isn't converting any chances.

-Quinn is different.  He is only getting off 1 shot per game (or less). His skating speed is down. According to NHL edge his 'speed bursts per game' are down. basically, he is skating a LOT worse than last year. Unlike Cozens he isn't getting into good scoring areas. He isn't taking or getting off shots. They have a metric called "Skating distance" and I don't know what it is but he is way higher than last year. Quinn isn't just missing 1 or 2 parts of his game, he really is a totally different player in almost every way and I have zero idea why.

I think Quinn just needs to simplify his game and shoot more.   Stop thinking and be the finisher for that line.   Once he gets a few goals the confidence will come back the other parts of his game will emerge.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Idemo Buffalo said:

It is a 4 game homestand.  Stars, Wings, Panthers, and Islanders.  Only 8 points available. 4-0. 3-1. 2-0-2. Any combination would be 6 points. 

Your original post said it was an 8 game home stand. 

But yeah, 6 out of 8 is definitely a successful run.

17 minutes ago, Idemo Buffalo said:

It is a 4 game homestand.  Stars, Wings, Panthers, and Islanders.  Only 8 points available. 4-0. 3-1. 2-0-2. Any combination would be 6 points. 

I do not mean to be a Debbie downer, but i would be shocked if they way this team is playing that they get 3 points in this homestand. Really hope i am wrong but based on the eye test of this team....... we suck. LOL

31 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Cozens is 40%, Benson is 25%. They're probably seeing this kid being on the ice for so many GA and saying his inexperience is costing the team.

I was more referring to the comment that the team may be valuing production over 'potential production' showed by the Goals expected analytics.

If the team is valuing ACTUAL production, there really proof of that by how much Cozens is getting out there.

17 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I think Quinn just needs to simplify his game and shoot more.   Stop thinking and be the finisher for that line.   Once he gets a few goals the confidence will come back the other parts of his game will emerge.  

What's both encouraging and discouraging at the same time is that Kulich looks better than Quinn, so far. If Quinn can get back to form, then that line second line should be more productive. Right now, my inclination is that Cozens is better on the wing. I would love to have him prove me wrong. 

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

IIRC, hasn’t Quinn spent the majority of his time playing on a line with Cozens since his rookie year when he was converting many of those chances playing with Cozens? 

Mandatory Wastefulness.

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

This team needs multiple wins in a row. This is a game last year that would be a guaranteed loss. Are these Sabres any different?

Search your soul.  You know the answer.

If Aube-Kubel plays Saturday and there are no other injuries, it looks like Benson or Juri would go back to Rochester as they are waiver exempt. So who goes? Was the sit down to prepare Benson for the possibility? Chin up kid, we will call you when we need you. 

2 hours ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

I do not mean to be a Debbie downer, but i would be shocked if they way this team is playing that they get 3 points in this homestand. Really hope i am wrong but based on the eye test of this team....... we suck. LOL

It is a hard homestand. I think 6 points is probably best case scenario. If they only get 4 or 5 but play really well, I won't complain. Lot of hockey left in the season. I am hopeful we can win 3 of the 4. 

Dallas is a tough opponent, but in an 82-game regular season, it's not a major upset for any team to beat any other team on a given night.  If UPL plays a strong game, the Sabres should be in it and have a chance.  The Sabres of the last couple of seasons often would beat a top team, and then lay an egg and lose to a team like Columbus.  Considering they already laid that egg last week, I think there's a chance tonight.

Edited by msw2112

23 minutes ago, Jorcus said:

If Aube-Kubel plays Saturday and there are no other injuries, it looks like Benson or Juri would go back to Rochester as they are waiver exempt. So who goes? Was the sit down to prepare Benson for the possibility? Chin up kid, we will call you when we need you. 

I don't think Benson can be sent down to Rochester unless it's a rehab/conditioning assignment.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jad1 said:

I don't think Benson can be sent down to Rochester unless it's a rehab/conditioning assignment.

Benson, Kulich, and Levi are all still waivers exempt.

2 hours ago, Stoner said:

Don't you want injuries to be 0%?

Human casualties 0.0. Mission objectives met.

49 minutes ago, Stads said:

The Same I Dont Feel It GIF by Ovation TV

Your thoughts betray you. I feel the hopium in you... the conflict.

50 minutes ago, Jorcus said:

Maybe in some way playing in Rochester might do Benson some good:

-Confidence? I'm not a huge believer in it, but in Rochester he is likely to produce more points, thus get his confidence up a bit.

-Working on parts of his game.  Up in Buffalo, he NEEDS to fit into a system, He is placed not where he is best, but where it is best for the team he is.  Now, as good as he might be/is, I'm sure there are parts of his game that can be better. In Rochester he can be placed in situations where he can work on those parts of his game, not be forced into the spot that is best for the team.

Not saying they will do it, and my suspicion is they won't,  but if Benson was sent down to Rochester, he might come back a somewhat better player for it.

Edited by mjd1001

32 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Dallas is a tough opponent, but in an 82-game regular season, it's not a major upset for any team to beat any other team on a given night.  If UPL plays a strong game, the Sabres should be in it and have a chance.  The Sabres of the last couple of seasons often would beat a top team, and then lay an egg and lose to a team like Columbus.  Considering they already laid that egg last week, I think there's a chance tonight.

Your logic is inscrutable.

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Maybe in some way playing in Rochester might do Benson some good:

Wouldn't he have to go back to juniors?