GDT: Stars @ Sabres 10/22/24, 7:00 PM EDT; MSG, ESPN+, WGR

LGR4GM

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Good:  UPL, Krebs, McLeod

The Bad:  The 3rd period once Dallas pulled the goalie.  

The Ugly:  The PP, the 2nd line primarily Cozens and Quinn. Serious Dylan, can’t you even hit an open net?  

Lots of positives in this game, but we serious need new ideas on both special teams.  The 6 on 5 play was terrible.

Gotta add face offs to the ugly..couldn't win one to save our lives in the third.

• Agree 2

Some quick thoughts on this game: I thought UPL was superb. He would be my first star, Power would be my second star. Power's pass back to Tage for a score was a smart and basic play. 

Tage is playing really well. 

A big difference between this year's team and the past few is that our lower two lines are faster and contribute more goals. Big upgrade on those lines.

I thought our team defense that included the play of our forwards was excellent. The pairings and forwards were quick in getting back. Good stick work all around.

Dahlin seemed to move much better in this game. 

I thought our play in the second period may have been our best this season. Dallas was stymied and outplayed. 

Krebs is contributing. He's feisty and gritty. His stick work on his goal was nifty. He waited for the puck to drop before swiping at it. 

This was a good win against a good team with an upper tier goalie. Our play in the second period may have been our best period so far. Dallas was stymied and outplayed. 

• Like (+1) 3

Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way in the standings, but I’m willing to throw away the two Czech games. They’re treading water right now and this is the time to start padding that win column and balance out that horrible start. 

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Good:  UPL, Krebs, McLeod

The Bad:  The 3rd period once Dallas pulled the goalie.  

The Ugly:  The PP, the 2nd line primarily Cozens and Quinn. Serious Dylan, can’t you even hit an open net?  

Lots of positives in this game, but we serious need new ideas on both special teams.  The 6 on 5 play was terrible.

Special teams obviously need work. Against a Cup favorite tonight they gave up 1 SOG across three shorthanded situations and the one pp they had was the best effort of the season. 

yes, show me the baby. Nevertheless…

• Like (+1) 1

Greenway led all forwards in ice time at 19:27. McLeod 2nd at 18:35.

Defense all getting ice time. Dahlin led at 23:41, Clifton lowest but still nearly 16m (15:42) Everyone else right at or near 19 minutes or more.

Clifon had 5 blocked shots (tied with Greenway for the most) and 4 hits (the most on the team) and 4 takeaways (most on team) for the game.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Defense all getting ice time. Dahlin led at 23:41, Clifton lowest but still nearly 16m (15:42) Everyone else right at or near 19 minutes or more.

Clifon had 5 blocked shots (tied with Greenway for the most) and 4 hits (the most on the team) and 4 takeaways (most on team) for the game.

Greenway and McLeod were great tonight. I’m still not sold on Zucker but that pair is on a heater. 

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Practice lines from yesterday

I don't care for how Ruff is treating Benson. Contrary to popular belief here, he is still driving play wherever he goes and yet gets bounced around the lineup. 

I disagree Benson is a small guy. Ruff knows the psychology of the game. Early season calls for psychological dominance. Finess comes later.

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Both Clifton and Greenway have been consistently solid so far in this season. Although neither player would be describe as dazzling, both have played a tough and strong brand of hockey. Greenway may be our best PK player. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, mjd1001 said:

So Saturday is the next game vs Detroit...do you go with UPL in net again? He will have another 3 days off...but then Levi hasn't played in over a week (by Saturday), do you keep him out of another game?

I would go with UPL. He's earned starting again. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Gotta add face offs to the ugly..couldn't win one to save our lives in the third.

Power and his weak moving guys out from front of the net... on going problem... but didnt help UPL see that tip.

I'd keep Power off penalty kill... no angst nor urgency.

Edited by North Buffalo

Just now, North Buffalo said:

Power and his weak moving guys out from front of the net... on going problem... but did help UPL see that tip.

Just like I said before the game, I'm pretty good with Power's overall game.  Hes not going to be physical, I get that.

But, interesting stat on Hits:

Power on the season:  3 hits while averaging over 22 minutes of ice time

Clifton on the season: 22 hits while averaging 14:57 minutes of ice time.

In terms of 'hits per 60 minutes', Clifton is outhitting Power 11-to-1.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Idemo Buffalo said:

Going to be hard for some of the posters here to admit it, but the Sabres are a good hockey team.  

Your hockey posts are good but you need to stop mocking other posters if you want to be here.

• Eyeroll 1

57 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'd say we have seen enough, McLeod should be getting 2nd line minutes over Cozens...BUT.....its working well right now so just keep things the way they are.

McLoed led all Sabres centers in ice time tonight.  

• Like (+1) 1

Quinn with a total of 6 shots on net through 7 games played for him. Something has got to be wrong with him that we don't know about, injury? Hes not even getting shots off or in position to do so.

Cozens.  no goals on 27 shots (leads the team). I'm guessing this isn't a stat that can be easily looked up, but I wonder what the record is for most shots to start a season without a goal for someone who is in your top 3 highest paid Fowards?

Krebs. He now has a goal, he is the best faceoff guy on the team this season, looks like he's playing with a high motor and no major positioning mistakes to cost them recently. Still only 10 minutes of ice time.  Has he earned a little more than that going forward?

18 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

So Saturday is the next game vs Detroit...do you go with UPL in net again? He will have another 3 days off...but then Levi hasn't played in over a week (by Saturday), do you keep him out of another game?

Yes.  UPL. 

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:
2 hours ago, Idemo Buffalo said:

Going to be hard for some of the posters here to admit it, but the Sabres are a good hockey team.  

Your hockey posts are good but you need to stop mocking other posters if you want to be here.

You call that "mocking"?  Really?

Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

• Like (+1) 1