2005/2006 Buffalo Sabres

Idemo Buffalo

They were considered the 31st best team in hockey prior to game 1. They had not qualified for the playoffs in the 3 previous years. They went to Game 7 of the Coference Finals. One could argue had they won that game 7 they would have won the Cup.

The team was 8-9 through their first 17 games. They Won 18 of their next 22 games.

The team lost 6 straight in late March. They won 7 of their last 8 games. 

Moral of the Story, hockey is a game of streaks, where anything is possible.

Don't count out the 2024/2025 Buffalo Sabres. Lots of hockey to play.

Anything is still possible. Anything.

Edited by Idemo Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Idemo Buffalo said:

They were considered the 31st best team in hockey prior to game 1. They had not qualified for the playoffs in the 3 previous years. They went to Game 7 of the Coference Finals. One could argue had they won that game 7 they would have won the Cup.

The team was 8-9 through their first 17 games. They Won 18 of their next 22 games.

The team lost 6 straight in late March. They won 7 of their last 8 games. 

Moral of the Story, hockey is a game of streaks, where anything is possible.

Don't count out the 2024/2025 Buffalo Sabres. Lots of hockey to play.

Anything is still possible. Anything.

Thanks Kevyn. Or Terry. 

We don't owe this organization blind faith anymore. Prove it or go home. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm typically an optimist and a glass-half-full kind of guy.  I've been patient with Adams and the slow and deliberate rebuild.  I liked Granato, but agreed, by last season's end that it was time for him to go.  Ruff wasn't my first choice, but I was OK with the hire.  He was my favorite Sabre as a kid and I was a huge fan of when he  coached the team the first time.  He did some good things as a coach in Dallas and NJ.  While not the ideal hire, I thought he was good enough to fix the bad habits that plagued the team the last couple of seasons - slow starts to games, lack of defensive discipline, terrible power play, etc.  Slow starts to the season are what doomed the last couple of teams, who played much better later on, but they had fallen too many points behind to recover and make the playoffs.  That was supposed to be a major focus this season.

So far, none of the issues have been fixed and they actually look worse.  The best lines have been the 3rd and 4th lines, particularly the 3rd line.  It's probably not a coincidence that the 3rd line consists of Greenway, McCleod, and Zucker all of whom are veteran players who grew up in OTHER NHL ORGANIZATIONS.

We've also seen the likes of Ryan O'Reilly, Eichel, and Reinhart (and others) succeed and win Stanley Cups with OTHER ORGANIZATIONS.  It's hard to believe that these 3 were all Sabres at the same time.

I agree that it's early, anything can happen, hockey is a game of streaks, etc.  Edmonton had a terrible start last year and went to Game 7 of the finals.  That said, Connor McDavid isn't walking through that door anytime soon....

One more point that folks make is that it takes time for the team to adjust to the new coaching staff/new system.  New Jersey has a new coach and is 5-2.  Toronto has a new coach and is 3-1.  And New Jersey had the same European trip that the Sabres had, so that excuse can be thrown out too.  And Columbus, who arguably has less talent than the Sabres and also has a new coach, greatly outplayed the Sabres last night.  It wasn't puck luck or bounces, they simply outplayed the Sabres.

So in sum, despite my past positive thoughts about the potential of this team, I'm just not seeing it.  I guess you have to give Lindy and the current roster until the trade deadline, but if they're not in the hunt by then, it's probably time to blow it up.  I'm sure many here would not even be that patient, but the Sabres are currently not in a position of strength when it comes to the trade market, so I don't think a major deal at this point is realistic.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1