GDT: Buffalo Sabres vs Columbus Blue Jackets 10/17/24 --ESPN + and MSG!

bob_sauve28

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Advanced analytics are useful in some evaluations, they can add 'color' to the picture.  The problem I have with them is when someone tries really really hard to come up with just a couple numbers, or a handful of numbers, to prove a point.

-The 'eye test' doesn't always work, but SOMETIMES it is enough.

-Simple stats don't always tell the whole story (Goals, assists, shots on goal, plus-minus) but they do tell part of a story and should not just be thrown away.  

-Advanced stats, well, In my opinion, they are no worse, but not any better than either of the above.

If I SEE something with my eyes, can I back it up with some kind of data, (analytics or simple stats), or if I see something else with my eyes, can I disprove it with some kind of data?  Even if you can do that, it shouldn't be the end of the story. It shouldn't do anymore than open up a larger discussion about the game, the style of play, the player, etc.

I think good teams do that. They use simple stats, analytics, AND coaching/eye tests together.  Sometimes it gets annoying when the 'math nerds' just throw out analytics and say "there, we are right, you are wrong, deal with it"

Absolutely. The fact they have only won one game means the "analytics" are bad in a lot more areas than they are good. Grabbing one group of stats is not the whole picture. 

3 hours ago, USMCSnyper said:

Must wins...in October. Great. I F'N hate this group. so frustrating. I want to fire Power into the sun. He is so bad. Cozens has been awful, as with Quinn. I am hoping that this is a transition period to a new system....but my goodness.

This isn't a must win game. We have a new coach and a new system. Give them 10 games to figure it out.  It would be nice to win this game and silence the critics (getting 5 of 6 points should do that) but the Sabres will figure of the PP and get rolling. This is a good 5 v 5 hockey team. The last two games showed that. 

1 minute ago, Idemo Buffalo said:

This isn't a must win game. We have a new coach and a new system. Give them 10 games to figure it out.  It would be nice to win this game and silence the critics (getting 5 of 6 points should do that) but the Sabres will figure of the PP and get rolling. This is a good 5 v 5 hockey team. The last two games showed that. 

For many fans and their short term psyche/sanity, this is a must win.  But yeah, a loss makes things harder an harder with each loss, but we aren't at a point where one game will doom the entire season.

A game is never a 'must win' unless that precludes any other game after it from being labled a must win.  Kinda the same thing that in any season, in any game, you are 'never out of it' if there is a chance you can still 'get back into it'.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

Would like to see Benson on a line with Greenway so I could watch hockey as a remember it. 

If Quinn is benched, and Cozens TOI is reduced, (and it was against Pitt - with McLeod and Greenway seeing more shifts and TOI than him or anyone on the “second line”) why not replace Zucker with Benson and call it your second?  Demote Cozens to a third line with Zucker and Kulic and see if they can gel.  

Edited by Broken Ankles
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

For many fans and their short term psyche/sanity, this is a must win.  But yeah, a loss makes things harder an harder with each loss, but we aren't at a point where one game will doom the entire season.

A game is never a 'must win' unless that precludes any other game after it from being labled a must win.  Kinda the same thing that in any season, in any game, you are 'never out of it' if there is a chance you can still 'get back into it'.

This is without a doubt a MUST WIN game for the players. They need it, proves the way they are playing is working, will work, and gives Lindy more and more credibility with each win. These boys are fragile. With every win comes more confidence in Lindy's system and in themselves. The players NEED to win!

4 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

We've preached accountability all offseason from the coaches to the players, if this is true we should see Dylan Cozens benched and Kulich get the opportunity at 2nd or 3rd line C tonight correct? Otherwise I feel like we are on the exact same trajectory as last season coaching-wise.

Accountability was empty words. Lindy never benched Samuelsson after he lost the game with a “hockey suicide” penalty.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

If Quinn is benched, and Cozens TOI is reduced, (and it was against Pitt - with McLeod and Greenway seeing more shifts and TOI than him or anyone on the “second line”) why not replace Zucker with Benson and call it your second?  Demote Cozens to a third line with Zucker and Kulic and see if they can gel.  

I'd bench Cozens now instead of Quinn, unless Quinn is dealing with an injury. Seriously. He is giving you zero offensively, and he is the worst forward on the team defensively.

If I have a guy who is 'tied' for the worst on one side of the ice, and IS the worst in the other aspect...I'll take anyone (even Zucker or Kulich) over him now.

If I were Lindy, I'd sit him down in the film room, make him look at his mistakes again positionally, tell him how simple they are to fix, and tell him..."you are getting 2-3 games off from the press box. When you come back, do not do those things again or you will sit again".  But again, I'm starting to think more and more that Pegula may be the one who is a big fan of Cozens and that is why hes been given a lot more rope with his game. 

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Back to back so Levi should be in.
Columbus is one of the weaker teams but the Sabres need to come in edgy from last night’s result and just play simple hockey. Build an early lead to take the crowd out and have a buffer for the third period, when their energy may sag.

The PP better figure it out soon, can’t win without some help.

I recall last season Columbus came in and beat us like 9-4. 

We might like seeing them on the schedule, but everyone enjoys seeing Buffalo on their schedule,

• Haha (+1) 1

Last night was one of the few games I get to see all of here in Pittsburgh. I cannot believe we looked out physicaled by the Pens.  

I agree with all the players called out in this thread for poor play. Correction, Owen Power for a defenseman does not play to his size or position, poor decisions or neutralize the players he is covering. Cozens should not be centering the 2nd line with how he is playing, he looks like he gained no strength or stamina in the offseason which should have been his off-season plan and currently is not worthy of the A he's been gifted. Quinns game also appears off but maybe it's the center he has and coach change, but his confidence appears lacking. Last where is the coaching, where is Lindy we used to know who shuffled lines and players when they weren't always needed and now needs something to change this team's mojo. 

At least I don't get to watch that again tonight and can just check online to see what they are or are not still doing right. 

If they win, I am guessing Levi will have a lot to do with that not necessarily better PP or execution by the forwards or D.

Let's go Buffalo, Mostly Wishful.    

Edited by R_Dudley

• bob_sauve28 changed the title to GDT: Buffalo Sabres vs Columbus Blue Jackets 10/17/24 --ESPN + and MSG!
1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Fine with it. I would demote Cozens to wing though, I am starting to agree with others that he isn't a center. 

Lets hope Östlund does it well in Rochester this year, because trading Casey is becoming more and more horrible. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Lets hope Östlund does it well in Rochester this year, because trading Casey is becoming more and more horrible. 

How's he doing?  Colorado has to be the biggest trainwreck of the season at this very early point, 25 goals allowed in 4 games.  That's absolutely brutal.

37 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

agree here... and for those calling for Adams to trade for a top 6 guy... please for the love of God no... do not let this incompetent have any say, control or ability to move our assets. This will end in disaster.

1 hour ago, Sidc3000 said:

Accountability was empty words. Lindy never benched Samuelsson after he lost the game with a “hockey suicide” penalty.

And this is why I was not wanting Ruff, many of the fans in NJ said he never held anyone accountable. So now we have to deal with this all over again?

1 hour ago, shrader said:

How's he doing?  Colorado has to be the biggest trainwreck of the season at this very early point, 25 goals allowed in 4 games.  That's absolutely brutal.

Casey has 3 points and is still a -6. That means he’s been on the ice for 9 goals against. He’ll never be a dependable 2 way center.