GDT: Sabres @ Penguins October, 16 2024 @ 7:00PM on TNT

SABRES 0311

5 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

It looked like he was on his way to be a regular 30 goal scorer. Got a ridiculous extension on an outlier season. 

Let's hope it's not an outlier, but a precursor.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Damn, Cozens is only 23.

Adams sucks!

Only 23, but he will be 24 this year.  285 career games played, will be ove 350 by the end of the year.

Yeah, it takes some guys years to 'get it', but supposedly he already 'got it' 2 seasons ago.

I'm just so frustrated with his play and honestly its not even his lack of production. Its is overall play. Its that he makes dumb mistakes and hurts this team, yet he is used on the PP, PK, all the time. Under no coach has he ever had any accountability, no matter how bad he plays.

I said earlier he plays like the 'anti-Crosby' but I think he might be more of an 'anti-Patrice Bergeron'. Bergeron was ALL about positioning.  He knew where to be before anyone else on the ice did. He knew when to follow through on a hit, and when to back off to get himself back in the play quicker.  He didn't have a great shot but he was very sneaky and got himself into scoring position. He never looked like he was working super hard, just 'hard enough' while thinking a great game. That is pretty much the exact opposite of Cozens.

Well, this night was a close game, a back and forth game, and he had a 'kinda benching' toward the end. He played a bit in the 3rd period, but it was only a couple shifts. Maybe that is the first sign of Lindy having enough of his play.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

It looked like he was on his way to be a regular 30 goal scorer. Got a ridiculous extension on an outlier season. 

Once Cozens gets traded he will blossom just like all former Sabres players do! I wouldn’t move him even though it seems like he’s in the dog house on this forum. I know it’s early but this current Sabres team doesn’t look like it’s going to make the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Once Cozens gets traded he will blossom just like all former Sabres players do! I wouldn’t move him even though it seems like he’s in the dog house on this forum. I know it’s early but this current Sabres team doesn’t look like it’s going to make the playoffs. 

As much as I hate his play currently, and I think he is hurting the team, I wouldn't trade him (yet) either.  Unless you get a really good offer. 

But I think his game isn't evolving, its not growing. He plays 'dumb' hockey.  Putting him out there over and over, making him your #2 center and never taking that away from him no matter how poorly he plays....that doesn't really give him any incentive to change his play.

The only thing I can think of is he is a "Pegula guy". Pegula sees the aggressive play and says "I like that kid".  Pegula saw the 30 goal season, and, like a fan, assumes that is the norm, not the exception.  Not to take Adams off the hook totally, but I can see Pegula as one that wanted to 'lock him up' to a long term deal so early and encouraged the team to get it done. It might be the reason that he isn't ever taken out of the lineup. I mean, maybe not, but there doesn't seem like any other reason that makes sense.

He's played bad defensively for his entire career, he hasn't scored for a year and a half, and now 2 different head coaches keep putting him out there and giving him every opportunity in every single situation. Granato and Ruff aren't common denominators. Adams and Pegula are, and I think it might be a tad bit more Pegula.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Cozens for Zegras as both haven’t really lived up to expectations.

Maybe this wont make this team a Stanley cup winner, but right now, I think McLeod and Krebs as your #2 and #3 centers (in either order) makes this a better team. They won't produce that much offensively, but...well...where are we now? They play 'smarter' hockey.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

At the WC where cozens excelled he played wing. Maybe he thinks too much at C and needs to be moved to W??

A lot of us talked about that last year.  The problem isn't he thinks too much....the problem is you need your center to think a bit more than a winger, and he doesn't play that game. He just want to go full speed, no thinking in his game at all.  He is a straight ahead, all-gas-no-breaks type of player. That is who he seems to be now.

He likes to chase the puck. He likes to go to the boards. He likes to hit. He likes to go deep into the corners.  All things I want out of my wingers, and things I don't always want out of my Center (I want my center to be more aware positionally, my wingers can skate hard and crash and bang all day long).

His style of play for sure suits wing better than center. But, that doesn't solve his shooting problem.  He is getting chances in the offensive zone, ...he just can't put them in, and thats been the case for a while now.  Changing him to wing might reduce some of his mistakes he makes at center, but I'm not sure it fixes his non-scoring issue...and ultimately that is why you are paying him $7m per year.

But yeah, if Lindy said tomorrow that they were moving Cozens to wing, I'd be elated.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Stoner said:

Just watched the highlights. Did the goalies make any saves? I'm honestly not sure they showed one.

Anywho, that is every game the Sabres have ever played in Pittsburgh.

Jarry saved 2 of 5, UPL was subpar (if Levi played I’m convinced we’d have won), PITs backup goalie was great until for a minute when he wasn’t. UPL let the team down especially on the 5th goal. He makes some really good saves and let in 2 or 3 that he should have saved. We’re getting less than nothing out of Dahlin and half our forwards so far this year. Players need to be held accountable and for the most part they aren’t. Not sure what kulich did wrong to be benched, he’s been better than most of the forwards

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

No real NHL fan base has ever had to put up with anything like this. 

Buffalo still has a real fan base.  That cannot be disputed. 

7 minutes ago, Stoner said:

Just watched the highlights. Did the goalies make any saves? I'm honestly not sure they showed one.

Anywho, that is every game the Sabres have ever played in Pittsburgh.

It sure seem like a scripted Penguinfest. 

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

1-3-1 ….the brutal reality 

1-3-1 isn’t bad after an 0-3 start. Didn’t like how this one ended, obviously. But scoring 10 over two games is definitely a good sign.

Going into the year I liked our projected line 1 and 4. They have been mostly good. I didn’t like lines 2 and 3. Line 3 has actually been very good. Line 2 (Cozens, Quinn, Benson) is a disaster; 1 assist and -12 between them. When they get that line either going or broken up, and UPL gets rolling (I’m not worried about UPL), I think we have a chance to be in it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, repster said:

Last angry points for me tonight, then I’ll be done posting again and some new tease comes along.

This team cannot control pucks and have no flow to their game.

They are off balance half the time, and just have no composure.

That leads to frustration and kills their confidence.

There’s no vets here to get the locker room settled.

It’s like a vicious circle which adds to the weight of 13 years with no playoffs.  

Good luck Lindy, you’re going to need it

There are vets in there.  Young team sure, but they have some experience too.  

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

1-3-1 isn’t bad after an 0-3 start. Didn’t like how this one ended, obviously. But scoring 10 over two games is definitely a good sign.

Going into the year I liked our projected line 1 and 4. They have been mostly good. I didn’t like lines 2 and 3. Line 3 has actually been very good. Line 2 (Cozens, Quinn, Benson) is a disaster; 1 assist and -12 between them. When they get that line either going or broken up, and UPL gets rolling (I’m not worried about UPL), I think we have a chance to be in it. 

The Quinn fan club has to start admitting that he is sucking just as bad as Cozens. Benson I excuse as he's a 19 year old and I'm not shocked he is up and down and has to grow but Quinn is horrible. Cozens is horrible. The unit is a complete liability. 

4th line is also garbage. They have done absolutely nothing. 

5 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Cozens for Zegras as both haven’t really lived up to expectations.

I would also make a call to the West coast, but to Seattle. Haven't watched them play, but it seems like they use Yanni Gourde on their fourth line. Based on previous seasons I think he could balance up a second line, and push Cozens to wing.

Peterka good

Overall 5v5 team play was decent actually 

Cozens extremely bad. Multiple goals were caused by his solo dumb plays. He needs benched. That fight concussion ruined him years back

Zebras completely ruined this game. They made the wrong call on the challenge. They called everything and then once Pittsburgh caught up they put their whistles away until OT. Just ***** infuriating every Pittsburgh game the refs come into play like this

and our special teams is atrocious which makes the ref problem even worse. Special teams can be coached and give it time

UPL is just below average. Not terrible but not good.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

The Quinn fan club has to start admitting that he is sucking just as bad as Cozens. Benson I excuse as he's a 19 year old and I'm not shocked he is up and down and has to grow but Quinn is horrible. Cozens is horrible. The unit is a complete liability. 

To me, the problems with Quinn and Cozens are in the different end of the spectrum.

Quinn is invisible. I think I've seen two giveaways from him  but his problem is mostly the lack of offense. He's not hurting you too much with turnovers and bad decisions. 

Cozens isn't scoring either. He's working himself into position to get chances, He just can't convert them. But the other problem with Cozens is he's hurting you without the puck in all three zones. he's hurting you with giveaways, and he's hurting you with dumb plays.

So yeah, you want both of them to score and neither are doing that. But what's worse? Quinn not even getting chances that at least Cozens is getting? Or Cozens being a liability in all three zones of the ice where Quinn isnt doing that?