GDT: Sabres @ Penguins October, 16 2024 @ 7:00PM on TNT

SABRES 0311

4 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

Here's your sabres fun stat for the day: Through 5 games, combined stats for Dahlin/Quinn/Benson/cozens 19 GPs, 0 goals, 4 assists, -12

Fun stat #2; our #1 goalie, 3 GP's, 3 losses, 3.67 GAA, .872 SAV% - here's an idea, Levi wins, Levi plays the next game????

I know....small sample size.....but Fun times

Yep, if Levi wins and plays well.  Ride 'em

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

Lindy on the radio this morning (maybe it was yesterday). Said he sees problems with the Powerplay. He said they have a lot to work on and sounded like the coaching staff knows what the issue is, just have to get something through the players heads (my words, not his.)

I'd like to know exactly what they THINK the problem is.

I mean, hooray that he realizes it sucks, but this isn't rocket science. You have five guys, they have 4. You SUCKED past year. Look at that and DON'T DO THAT. To have zero PP goals and leaking shorties 5 games in is inexcusable.

I think it was a mistake to put pressure on Lindy to win now. This team and culture is so dysfunctional it will take years to get them out if it. I don’t think this is the roster to get us there either. But a lot would have to change quickly to get on a playoff pace. 

7 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

5 penalties against 1 for - what a goddam joke.  I'm still trying to figure out what the penalty to Benson was for?  To give Malkin a shot at his 500th??

As tilted as the officiating was for the Pens (and I don't think it was much), does it really matter? We might have lost by 3 if they gave us more power plays.

Edited by SwampD

That’s about as disappointing a loss as it gets. What the heck is Tage doing in OT? 

And for the last however many seasons our shorthanded defense has to be one of the most passive. But when it’s six on five skaters, you have to be more aggressive. Can’t just pack it in and then give a guy space to tap it in! 

UPL did himself no favors on a couple of those goals. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

That’s about as disappointing a loss as it gets. What the heck is Tage doing in OT

And for the last however many seasons our shorthanded defense has to be one of the most passive. But when it’s six on five skaters, you have to be more aggressive. Can’t just pack it in and then give a guy space to tap it in! 

Has Tage ever scored a big goal in a close game?

Just as in years past, but usually not until January, I will be leaving here until they surface  again within the top eight in the east.

good luck to all, removing this stress (which is supposed to be fun) as it’s just not worth it to me.

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

Here's your sabres fun stat for the day: Through 5 games, combined stats for Dahlin/Quinn/Benson/cozens 19 GPs, 0 goals, 4 assists, -12

Fun stat #2; our #1 goalie, 3 GP's, 3 losses, 3.67 GAA, .872 SAV% - here's an idea, Levi wins, Levi plays the next game????

I know....small sample size.....but Fun times

Wasn't a fan of giving Upie that deal when it happened. He was good last year, sure, but how many times does a young goalie have a good year that he can never replicate? If he reverts back to his struggling form, you're stuck paying him $4MM+ for the next 5 years to watch Devon Levi. Add in that he gave long term deals to Cousins & Muel that they're struggling to live up to and Adams should really be in the jackpot this season. They don't turn it around, he should be out the door. I'm hoping really hard that these guys come on and do end up making those deals look good, but the early returns are not good.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

That’s about as disappointing a loss as it gets. What the heck is Tage doing in OT? 

I agree with you with the 6 on 5. You don't want a free-for-all, but with less space on the ice you can be a bit more aggressive.

As far as the regular, 5 on 4 penalty Kill, the Sabres kill penalties best when they do play passive.  From watching the replays of just about every shorthanded goal they have allowed over the past 2 seasons, I would say the majority of them happen when they start chasing and get out of position.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

10 goals over the last two games.  Thats something.  But losing that game tonight is what a culture of losing brings.  Losers will lose.

5x5 this is a pretty solid hockey team. Problem is, their special teams are absolutely horrific and unless they can at least climb their way to "not catastrophically bad", they have zero chance of being a competitive team for the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Has Tage ever scored a big goal in a close game?

He is tied for most overtime goals over the past 3 years on the team (yeah, I know its only 2 but no one else has more than 2)

And in terms of Game winning goals (however the NHL defines that now), only Tuch has more over the same time period. Tuch 16, Tage, 14, Olofsson 12, Skinner 10.

Cozens, another way he is 'not clutch', in the last 3+ seasons, even including his 30+ goal season, he is credited with a total of 3 game winning goals in 244 games played.

Just now, mjd1001 said:

He is tied for most overtime goals over the past 3 years on the team (yeah, I know its only 2 but no one else has more than 2)

And in terms of Game winning goals (however the NHL defines that now), only Tuch has more over the same time period. Tuch 16, Tage, 14, Olofsson 12, Skinner 10.

Cozens, another way he is 'not clutch', in the last 3+ seasons, even including his 30+ goal season, he is credited with a total of 3 game winning goals in 244 games played.

How many were one goal games, where we needed it, and not 6-2 blowouts?

The team play reflects its Captain, imo. Too many are playing without poise and confidence like Dahlin. His frustration at practice the other day had less to do with Krebs and more to do with our miserable start to a season with big expectations. Trying too hard. Need to relax. Get focused. Stay focused. Eyes on the prize. Finish.

Too many drop passes. Too many extra passes. Shoot the puck on goal. Attack the net. Surround the crease. 

Score a couple PP goals.

Start tomorrow. Get the win.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

How many were one goal games, where we needed it, and not 6-2 blowouts?

No idea, I took a quick look and couldn't find that info. I am pretty sure with the exception of possibly Tuch, he scores goals that are just as important/timely as anyone else who is currently on this team.

Now maybe that isn't good enough, but hes a $7m dollar player, not a $12m guy.  I don't think Tage contributes more to wins than he does to losses...overall. I understand wanting even more from him, but the low hanging fruit on this team to change is not Tage, there are other places to look first.

Edited by mjd1001

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

As tilted as the officiating was for the Pens (and I don't think it was much), does it really matter? We might have lost by 3 if they gave us more power plays.

I guess its less that I wanted more powerplays than I feel there was a serious 2 tier rule set the entire game. In the late 1st or early 2nd, Zucker was literally mugged and taken down and yet no call was made. When we had a 4v3 PP, Thompson was hooked almost 180 degrees without a call and soon after they scored following the next faceoff. Dahlin gets blatantly tripped as they enter the zone thus giving them an easy in yet Thompson playing Malkin hard along the boards is immediately called even without it being a scoring chance impact play. The whole game felt like the Sabres were being called for weak penalties to which the broadcast would refuse to show.

Lastly the offside goal, the TNT announcers made me want to punch my TV I was so perturbed by how they completely ignored that there was a 2nd view of the puck + stick from the other side which would make it easy to see that it was impossible for the puck to have crossed the line when the other Pen had entered the zone.

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

I guess its less that I wanted more powerplays than I feel there was a serious 2 tier rule set the entire game. In the late 1st or early 2nd, Zucker was literally mugged and taken down and yet no call was made. When we had a 4v3 PP, Thompson was hooked almost 180 degrees without a call and soon after they scored following the next faceoff. Dahlin gets blatantly tripped as they enter the zone thus giving them an easy in yet Thompson playing Malkin hard along the boards is immediately called even without it being a scoring chance impact play. The whole game felt like the Sabres were being called for weak penalties to which the broadcast would refuse to show.

Lastly the offside goal, the TNT announcers made me want to punch my TV I was so perturbed by how they completely ignored that there was a 2nd view of the puck + stick from the other side which would make it easy to see that it was impossible for the puck to have crossed the line when the other Pen had entered the zone.

I'm not going to disagree with any of this.

But it's NHL on TNT. I'm sure they all are still pulling Crosby's pubes out of the back of their throat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1