GDT: Panthers @ Sabres October 12, 2024 @ 7:00PM MSG/ESPN+/WGR 550

SABRES 0311

The first 3 games, the Sabres did not respond to pressure well. If the forcheck against them was pressing, they didn't respond well.  On the PP if they were pressured, they didn't respond well.

It looks like Florida is out of position a lot tonight, but i'm not sure that is what it is.  I think Florida scouted the Sabres and figured out, the way to play the Sabres is to press them, even to the point of overpursuit.  So far tonight, the Sabres are simply handing that better than they have the first couple games by making the 'smart' play, taking what they are given pass to pass.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

The first 3 games, the Sabres did not respond to pressure well. If the forcheck against them was pressing, they didn't respond well.  On the PP if they were pressured, they didn't respond well.

It looks like Florida is out of position a lot tonight, but i'm not sure that is what it is.  I think Florida scouted the Sabres and figured out, the way to play the Sabres is to press them, even to the point of overpursuit.  So far tonight, the Sabres are simply handing that better than they have the first couple games by making the 'smart' play, taking what they are given pass to pass.

It’s mostly conversion imo. 14-7 Shots FLA

They didn't get hurt there on the PK and got a stoppage with 2 seconds left in the PK, but I didn't like 3 of the 4 Sabres defenders all on the puck on the boards. If the puck even gets kicked out, Florida now has 3 on 1. It didn't kill them, but someone should have dropped back off the boards on the PK there.

2 minutes ago, Thorner said:

It’s mostly conversion imo. 14-7 Shots FLA

Yeah, I get that. Positionally they may have actually played better against LA the first 2 periods than they are now. But the goals they have scored, their good scoring chances, are a result of the Sabres making simple smart plays. 

Kulich was bothered all the way in, but I'll say what I said last game. Unless you have 'elite' hands (not good, but elite), these guys on breakaways, penalty shots, even 2-on-1's, they are going in too far on the goalie. I think they should shoot earlier or make their final move earlier. They go in so far and there is often no room left.  

If the goalie isn't 10 feet out of the net, then he is giving you SOMETHING to shoot at, take the 10-12 foot shot.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1