GDT: Panthers @ Sabres October 12, 2024 @ 7:00PM MSG/ESPN+/WGR 550

SABRES 0311

I'm overall happy with the Defense back 6 (OR 7 this game) and their play.

They have made a few mistakes the first few games (a few glaring ones) but 95% of the time they are solid, VERY solid.  Even when they seem to be out of position, often times they are in that position due to being hung out to dry by the forwards. 

I don't like Samuelssons penalty last game. I don't like Powers bad pass/giveaway that led to a goal.  I think Dahlin isn't himself in the offensive zone. But in the defensive zone, this group looks pretty good too me..not just today but the whole year.

Looking at the replay of the Greenway goal, Krebs got an assist...but he was really responsible for the goal.

Skated hard on the forcheck, forced the defender to lose the puck, then got it out of the corner out front.

Nothing SPECTACULAR, but everything he did there is what you want your forwards to do without the puck.

There, I said my once-in-6-months nice thing to say about Krebs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, mjd1001 said:

Looking at the replay of the Greenway goal, Krebs got an assist...but he was really responsible for the goal.

Skated hard on the forcheck, forced the defender to lose the puck, then got it out of the corner out front.

Nothing SPECTACULAR, but everything he did there is what you want your forwards to do without the puck.

There, I said my once-in-6-months nice thing to say about Krebs.

I liked how Thompson capitalized at even strength. Doing exactly what you need from a 1C 

Replay of Thompson goal. Again, not great play but simply everyone doing exactly what they should to and not trying to do to much...

-Clifton in the D-zone is pressured from behind, instead of just pushing the puck up the boards he flips it back to Samuelsson who is not covered behind the net.

-Samuelsson holds the puck, looks over the ice, lets the forcheck draw in farther and then flips it back to a now uncovered Clifton.

-Clifton quickly makes an easy, safe pass up to an open Tuch, after drawing the guy on Tuch back to him.

-Tuch skates with the puck for a second or two, turns and see Panthers left Tage wide open on the near wing and makes a simple pass to him.

-Tage comes in as far as he can and lets off a good shot.

Nothing special there. From Samuelsson to Clifton to Tuch, everyone made the easy, smart play and when FLORIDA was out of position, Tage made them pay.

Simple, sound hockey.

Edited by mjd1001

Just now, Carmel Corn said:

889 games with Buffalo...not a cakewalk given his role for the team....I have no problem with his upcoming induction.

I’d prefer to be a franchise that honors winners, but that’s never been the case. At least this makes Danny Gare’s number in the rafters look better. 

• Like (+1) 1