GDT: Panthers @ Sabres October 12, 2024 @ 7:00PM MSG/ESPN+/WGR 550

SABRES 0311

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

and more combined NHL losses, as was pointed out in the broadcast. 

Only because you gave me a thumbs down for predicting an upset. 

Fair duece…whatever that nonsensical phrase means 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorner said:

Nice little win.

It’s just a small thing but I like the play McLeod made on the last regular goal. He gets the puck to the right areas where good things happen.

I noticed a couple of nice back checks today using his speed.  Not getting a ton yet in the O zone but nice seeing him using that speed to his advantage.  That’s his game and he needs to always be back checking hard as he can catch most guys and atleast apply some pressure. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Played well. Scored goals, had plenty of extra chances to boot. 

greenway looked great, his penalty was weak call. Zucker was noticeable, again weak call against him. Krebs earned his minutes tonight and played pretty well

Disappointed that we didn’t really see our fourth line. Games like this is where I’d expect them. Bensen was alright but he got benched and he will be fine. Still waiting to see something out of McLeod

Actually more curious I didn’t really notice the defense this game. Good or bad. Used to see them doing much of the puck control but today it was all forwards. 

The D picked their spots, but agree forward came back deeper on D and did a lot more work on breakouts... me likey... if Sabres can vary style from game to game much less predictable.

• Like (+1) 1

Tuch was meh in the first... reason for first goal against... didnt back check but was better after that... looks like a couple guys still getting into game shape... Power now learning Ruff way to be more physical but its gonna take time... he depends on his stick and skating but not that big frame to do damage.

8 hours ago, Doohicksie said:

Synopsis:  Knight is a sieve; they traded the wrong goalie.

They may have traded the wrong goalie, it’s too early to tell as both are still very young and just starting out.  

Florida got Reinhart, 60+ goals and the GWG in Cup finals game 7.  I think they are good with the trade right now.  

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I wonder if Benson is a bit banged up. 

My guess is he is still nursing a bit of an LBI and with 11 forwards they just made it simpler and shortened the bench with the 2 goal lead. Also, right or wrong (wrong in Benson’s case), Ruff and a lot of NHL coaches likely have a bias against the 19 yr old, when protecting a lead in the 3rd.   

Edit: didn’t see that Ruff had commented before I posted. 

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ctaeth said:

Greenway +4 on the night. 

Wow!

10 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Just got back from my night out, I can’t even believe they won with that score. Can’t wait to read about it.

FYI, not to be a downer, but their goaltending was awful. Still, we took advantage of it and did not give up a ton of scoring opportunities

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So I shouldn’t expect the guys being paid to be our best players to actually be our best players?  So far this season Tuch, Greenway, Clifton and Levi have been our best players.  We need to hold the “leadership” group accountable for bad performance after bad performance.  Even with a solid win tonight, 3/4 of the guys I mentioned were invisible again and the PP in which all 4 are key players is still 0 for the season.

I am inclined to disagree with bolded assessment. 

Thompson: had a goal and was round the net quite a bit. Was a very solid option for D-zone exits. I presume him to be the 1/4 you noticed?

Cozens: Got himself a couple beauty chances and set up a few others. Yes, he and other need to bury them - but getting and setting up high danger chances is hardly invisible.

Power: Was actually very solid in the D-zone. So far this year, I have actually noticed him using his big frame for more effectively to box out and protect the puck. I think he was even down digging the puck out in the corners in o-zone. If you squint real hard when you rewatch the game, I think you will see him dole out a hit or two!

Dahlin: hard to argue this one. He just seems off from his own blue line and out. His play in the d-zone was solid.

I do get your point - these are our stars and we would all like to see them out there dominating and imposing their will, but the Sabres did all the small things right most of the game and got rewarded. Things were clicking and no one tried to play Hero Puck and it worked out. Maybe we should expect more of the lunch pail Peca/Satan team and less of the Drury/Briere? The "who's our star other than the goalie?" team almost won a cup, so I'll take that if it works.

• Like (+1) 3

Some very general comments about last night's game. Over the past two games I thought Clifton and Greenway played very well. These are not star players but players who are maximizing their assets and are fitting in well with the grittier style of play that the new coach is trying to instill. Greenway is a big fellow and plays big. He's not particularly fast but is positional sound, so he usually is where he is supposed to be. KA used one of his extra second round picks to acquire him. It was a good deal for us.

You can see a greater effort in having net presence on both ends of the ice. It is particularly noticeable in the offensive zone. There is more clutter in front of the opposition goalie when we shoot. 

I thought that Levi played solidly. He wasn't tested too often but when needed he made the stop. If both of our goalies can be consistent and solid, then this team should be in the mix. 

This team is adjusting to Lindy's grittier and more responsible two-way play compared to the looser and more free-wheeling play under Granato. You can see the Lindy difference in this game and the first two periods of the King game. That type of transition is not always smoothly made. But it is evident to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Power and Dahlin have 1 assist between them. 

I thought Power played well. When evaluating the play of defensemen over emphasizing the scoring sheet doesn't always indicate the caliber of play. Clifton may not be racking up stats but I have been pleasantly surprised by his play. What you are doing is resorting to a pre-written script. It's simply too soon to do that. It will serve you well to be a little more patient before slamming the door closed. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

With all the observations of Dahlin being “off”, is there any chance Ruff has been trying to push his buttons (or change an aspect of his game) and Dahlin’s not responding well to it?

My guess is it’s more to do with his previous injury in combination to some degree of Ruff changing some of his game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1