GDT: Panthers @ Sabres October 12, 2024 @ 7:00PM MSG/ESPN+/WGR 550

SABRES 0311

11 hours ago, Derrico said:

I noticed a couple of nice back checks today using his speed.  Not getting a ton yet in the O zone but nice seeing him using that speed to his advantage.  That’s his game and he needs to always be back checking hard as he can catch most guys and atleast apply some pressure. 

McLeod was also 10/16 on faceoffs.

• Thanks (+1) 1

My 2 cents:

- That's 2 good efforts in 2 home games so far under Lindy. 

- Greenway was a force.  He's a UFA next summer.  If he keeps playing this way, someone will pay him well -- and I'd be happy for it to be the Sabres.

- Quinn also played very well -- that was the guy that many here expect to turn into a star this season.

- Lindy's shakeup move was, as it turned out, not to bench Samuelsson in favor of Gilbert, but to play Gilbert by dressing 7 D and mostly playing 3 forward lines.  It worked quite well.  The Sabres were not intimidated by the Panthers, who generally play a very physical game and usually push the Sabres around.

- I'd be happy to see the same lineup vs. Pittsburgh on Wednesday.

- The Sabres again got good goaltending.

- I thought the top 2 lines were both pretty good.  Cozens' line didn't score but had a ton of chances, most of which were created by nice little plays by Quinn.  Kulich also is looking more comfortable and effective.  Cozens hasn't finished yet but he is playing hard and it will come.

- The 3rd line was also very effective.  They need a bit more finish from Zucker and McLeod.

- 3-game-in-4 nights roadie coming up, vs Pittsburgh, CBJ and Chicago.  Get 2 wins and we're 1 under DeLuca .500 with some momentum and some promise.

Go Sabres.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JustOneParade said:

Greenway was the best player on the ice 

Dahlin must still be hurt

Sabres power play = Blutarski’s GPA

Liked how they played the 3rd with the lead.

If excuses aren’t accepted for losses then they shouldn’t be offered for wins

IMG_0247.jpeg.15dc28aa3845b0714506e0a621ee83c8.jpeg

What the **** happened to the Sabres I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest Power Play of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst! 'Ooh, we're afraid to go with you, Bluto, we might lose.' Well, just kiss my a— from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this! Matt Ellis he's a dead man, Appert dead, Wilford..."

You know this guy went on to marry a playmate and become a US Senator?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Slack_in_MA said:

With all the observations of Dahlin being “off”, is there any chance Ruff has been trying to push his buttons (or change an aspect of his game) and Dahlin’s not responding well to it?

I would be more inclined to think it’s related to whatever injury kept him out of camp. Seems less of a stretch. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I have a sneaky suspicion Levi will pull ahead of UPL sooner than we think.

I had the same thought but more likely, I think, is that each will have his ups and downs.

14 hours ago, inkman said:

Fair duece…whatever that nonsensical phrase means 

When I drop a deuce, I don't it could ever be described as fair.

14 hours ago, Big Guava said:

Offense finally came.

meg ryan orgasm GIF

1 hour ago, Doohicksie said:

They don't panic, but they also pressure the puck and block lanes (all 5).  HUGE difference from Granato's system.

The whole group is playing solid, so you would think it has something to do with the system they are playing.

On the other hand, I thought the 2nd half of last year they were vastly improved compared to the first half of the year.  I'm just wondering, what percentage of the good play so far is Ruff's system they follow, vs just that they were improving already and a very young D-group got one year older/more experienced.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

The whole group is playing solid, so you would think it has something to do with the system they are playing.

On the other hand, I thought the 2nd half of last year they were vastly improved compared to the first half of the year.  I'm just wondering, what percentage of the good play so far is Ruff's system they follow, vs just that they were improving already and a very young D-group got one year older/more experienced.

One thing I noticed during the second half of last year when the D men got the puck they were good about protecting it behind the net and would support each other until possession was established and they could find a way out of the zone. It was more transitional than rush plays. The first 2 games were kind of bad overall in the structure. There were a lot of players running into each other. In the last 2 games it has gotten much better, they do seem to want to move the puck up ice quicker which is fine but they have to be wary of the giveaways. So it looks a bit different in structure to me. They did a great job when they had the lead breaking up the Panthers attack.  

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

As you noted, there are a variety of reasons why this team seems to be playing better since the first half of the previous year. A significant factor may be that last year in the second half of the season UPL played the bulk of the games and was consistently good. And for the most part, our netminding has been solid. If we can have this level of play from both of our goalies, then we should be in the playoff mix. It's going to be intriguing to watch how the competition ultimately turns out with UPL and Levi vying for the primary role.