GDT: Panthers @ Sabres October 12, 2024 @ 7:00PM MSG/ESPN+/WGR 550

SABRES 0311

Played well. Scored goals, had plenty of extra chances to boot. 

greenway looked great, his penalty was weak call. Zucker was noticeable, again weak call against him. Krebs earned his minutes tonight and played pretty well

Disappointed that we didn’t really see our fourth line. Games like this is where I’d expect them. Bensen was alright but he got benched and he will be fine. Still waiting to see something out of McLeod

Actually more curious I didn’t really notice the defense this game. Good or bad. Used to see them doing much of the puck control but today it was all forwards. 

Just now, mjd1001 said:

Benson only played about 1.5 minutes from the beginning of the second period all the way through the end of the game.

I hope in Lindy's post game press conference, that is one of the first 2-3 questions asked.

I wish somebody would also ask him about Lafferty and Malenstyn as well.  It’s a win, but I’m not fond of the strategy of only playing 3 lines to do it.  It’s not sustainable.

Just now, triumph_communes said:

Actually more curious I didn’t really notice the defense this game. Good or bad. Used to see them doing much of the puck control but today it was all forwards. 

Byram had his worst game of the year. He was still decent, but he was clumsy with the puck.

Dahlin still looks off, like he is processing the game 5% slower than usual, or skating 5% slower than usual.

But positionally, the Defense has been pretty good all year and today were very good in their own zone.  I think they get 'picked on' on this board a little too much when it looks like they are out of position, but many of those times they are put in 'no win' situations by the forwards not helping out enough.

Yeah, the D didn't carry/move the puck great today, but in their own zone, they have had a good year overall and a very good game today.

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

I wish somebody would also ask him about Lafferty and Malenstyn as well.  It’s a win, but I’m not fond of the strategy of only playing 3 lines to do it.  It’s not sustainable.

Agree. 6 D-men and 12 forwards makes too much sense unless you have major injury issues.

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Played well. Scored goals, had plenty of extra chances to boot. 

greenway looked great, his penalty was weak call. Zucker was noticeable, again weak call against him. Krebs earned his minutes tonight and played pretty well

Disappointed that we didn’t really see our fourth line. Games like this is where I’d expect them. Bensen was alright but he got benched and he will be fine. Still waiting to see something out of McLeod

Agree with almost all of this especially the bolded.

Going into the season, there was so much hype on the speed of the new guys. So far, I've only noticed it from Aube-Kubel, and he's hurt.

They just made a comment about Ruff vs Maurice on the post game show...

Has there ever been a game played in the NHL where the opposing coaches had more combined career wins going into the game than what we had tonight?

Edited by mjd1001

7 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

I would say Dahlin actually had a poor (for him) game.

They're definitely playing better hockey. They have a lot of things to work on still but they just look more like other teams now and do normal hockey things like hit back and finish checks, back check, block shots. It's looking more and more like an NHL hockey team. I imagine Tuch haters from earlier have changed their minds now (maybe). 

You could argue we are now already reaping the benefits of the back up goalie against us syndrome and they most definitely did not look like the same team that beat up on Boston with Barkov and Tkachuk, Bennett doesn't waste his nastiness on teams like us that's for sure, but you can't take away the Sabrea effort and in this game, they were clearly the better team. 

Grrenway with an oustanding night. 

I still think we'd be a better team with Mitts (and no Byram) but no need to dwell on that when it's a winning night. I think Ruff is slowly having an effect.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Has there ever been a game played in the NHL where the opposing coaches had more combined career wins going into the game than what we had tonight?

and more combined NHL losses, as was pointed out in the broadcast. 

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

Thanks? 

Only because you gave me a thumbs down for predicting an upset. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Has there ever been a game played in the NHL where the opposing coaches had more combined wins than what we had tonight?

The last time Scotty Bowman coached against Al Arbour.

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You could argue we are now already reaping the benefits of the back up goalie against us syndrome and they most definitely did not look like the same team that beat up on Boston with Barkov and Tkachuk, Bennett doesn't waste his nastiness on teams like us that's for sure, but you can't take away the Sabrea effort and in this game, they were clearly the better team. 

Grrenway with an oustanding night. 

I still think we'd be a better team with Mitts (and no Byram) but no need to dwell on that when it's a winning night. I think Ruff is slowly having an effect.

Overall, I have to agree with the bolded, but that is primarily because I firmly believe Cozens is absolutely awful and any skilled Center to take those 2nd line minutes would improve this team dramatically.

Im good with Byram though, I really am. Today was his worst game handling the puck all year, but the first few games he was good that way. But, he is now part of a 6-man D-unit that is playing very well.

I mentioned in another post that sometime the D-men are getting criticized because they look out of position, but I think in many occasions that is because they are trying to play their own role and cover for some bad coverage by the forwards.  Yes, there have been a few glaring mistakes (the Power bad pass, the Samuelsson penalty) but I really  like the overall play in the D-zone by 1-6 back there, and Byram is a big part of that based on simply the minutes he is eating up.

Byram with 5 minutes less ice time tonight though than what he has been averaging the first 3 games, Lindy must have noticed something was off with him.

But yeah, They 'need' Mitts right now more than Byram...unless/until Cozens gets his head straight again with hockey.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2