The Current Situation

SABRES 0311

You spend to the cap.

very simple answer. 

teams that spend to the cap don’t always make the playoffs, but those that dont basically never do, so it’s a very good place to start.

there’s only 2 potential reasons we aren’t spending to the cap:

1) Pegula is cheap

2)Intentionally, to save money for our RFAs

Both would point to debilitating issues. Obviously 2 is way stupider, as with number 1 we aren’t really failing at the chosen goal, we just don’t have the same goal as the owner. Number 2 would point to the prioritization, still, of the future, which we can’t win under 

• Like (+1) 1

pump the brakes

it's 3 games in with a new head coach, enough of this "instant gratification" mentality... you're like little kids in the back seat "are we there yet? are ae there yet?" 30min into a 2hr drive

it's gonna take 20-25 games before we start to even scratch the surface of what this team is gonna look like under Lindy

"how to fix it?" they outplayed the Kings and deserved a better result but that's hockey... man the ***** up and move on to the next game

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Simple, fix the power play. 

That’s all you have to do 

This is like saying, “it’s simple: you fix the amount of goals we put into the net”

you don’t “fix” the powerplay. Utter misnomer. You roster better players on the powerplay 

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

pump the brakes

it's 3 games in with a new head coach, enough of this "instant gratification" mentality... you're like little kids in the back seat "are we there yet? are ae there yet?" 30min into a 2hr drive

it's gonna take 20-25 games before we start to even scratch the surface of what this team is gonna look like under Lindy

"how to fix it?" they outplayed the Kings and deserved a better result but that's hockey... man the ***** up and move on to the next game

Pump the brakes. 😂 

If you want to wait 25 games for the team to get its act together that’s a lot of points to give up. This team is trying to squeak into the playoffs so 25 games of this is not going to work.

1 minute ago, Thorner said:

This is like saying, “it’s simple: you fix the amount of goals we put into the net”

you don’t “fix” the powerplay. Utter misnomer. You roster better players on the powerplay 

Nope, I’m spot on. They have not scored one f’n pp goal yet and they are 0-3. No coincidence there, lol 

The PP is the problem 

3 steps:

-You have money to spend, it might be hard to find a trading partner the first week of the season, but you need to use that money and draft capital/prospects to bring in another Center.

-Cozens immediately becomes a fixture on the 3rd line once you bring in someone else. Winger? Center? doesn't matter, he is now a 3rd line player until he proves otherwise.  Or Move him as part of a package with a package of picks and other players to get that other center.

-Pray Thompson starts converting his chances.  Power Play, even strength, he is getting the shots yet everything he is doing looks 5% slower than the last few years. 

At least for tonight, I was fairly happy with the rest of the team. Its just you can't have your top 2 forwards, you $14m combo, having 1 goal on 26 shots for the season.

Edited by mjd1001

9 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

pump the brakes

This is only a relevant factor if that team, by scratching the surface at game 25, is able to then catapult itself into a playoff spot via that development. Figuring it out by game 25 isn’t relevant if there isn’t enough runway to catch up

The coach is a footnote re: an nhl roster, anyways. They don’t get non playoff teams into the playoffs. Or vice versa. Improvement or the opposite: merely on the margins. Said it all offseason: if you need ONE coach to fix the output of TWENTY guys: you have already lost 

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Nope, I’m spot on. They have not scored one f’n pp goal yet and they are 0-3. No coincidence there, lol 

The PP is the problem 

Ya; you didn’t understand my post 

Edited by Thorner

2 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Pump the brakes. 😂 

If you want to wait 25 games for the team to get its act together that’s a lot of points to give up. This team is trying to squeak into the playoffs so 25 games of this is not going to work.

if they play like they did tonight for the next 22 games, they'll be in a good spot

huge improvement from Prague

I, for one, am encouraged

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Thorner said:

This is only a relevant factor if that team, by scratching the surface at game 25, is able to then catapult itself into a playoff spot via that development. Figuring it out by game 25 isn’t relevant if there isn’t enough runway to catch up

The coach is a footnote re: an nhl roster, anyways. They don’t get non playoff teams into the playoffs. Or vice versa. Improvement or the opposite: merely on the margins. Said it all offseason: if you need ONE coach to fix the output of TWENTY guys: you have already lost 

Ya; you didn’t understand my post 

Not true, I didn’t read your post at all. No reason to. My point was correct, the PP is the problem 

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

if they play like they did tonight for the next 22 games, they'll be in a good spot

huge improvement from Prague

I, for one, am encouraged

Not saying they didn’t play better. They’re still averaging 1GF and 4 GA though. Producers aren’t producing. Line combos might need a change.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Not saying they didn’t play better. They’re still averaging 1GF and 4 GA though. Producers aren’t producing. Line combos might need a change.

it's 3 games 😂

chin up buttercup

4 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Not true, I didn’t read your post at all. No reason to. My point was correct, the PP is the problem 

"Fixing" the PP would obviously help. They'd likely have one win, and who knows if it would have changed any of the other 2 games.  So yes, that is a big issue.

But even if the PP was working they are still only shooting 3.6% 5 on 5.  Yes, 3.6%.  Even with a functioning PP, long term thats not enough unless you get a lot better/more productive even strength.

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

"Fixing" the PP would obviously help. They'd likely have one win, and who knows if it would have changed any of the other 2 games.  So yes, that is a big issue.

But even if the PP was working they are still only shooting 3.6% 5 on 5.  Yes, 3.6%.  Even with a functioning PP, long term thats not enough unless you get a lot better/more productive even strength.

Getting pp goals makes you stronger in rest of your game. But not scoring ANY PP goals is just death