James Reimer claimed by the Ducks

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Noacls said:

Do you not understand he could have sent Levi down to play more and not lose all the quality depth?

Do you not understand that anytime they brought Levi back up to be a Sabre they still would've needed to waive one of Gilbert (who, per Puckpedia seems to have been waived today as he's not listed on the Sabres 23 man roster; so they could keep Kulich up with 3 forwards having been injured in the 2 games against the Devils), Bryson, or Krebs everytime they brought Levi up.  How would that have sat with the guys in the dressing room.  Granted that guy would only need to clear waivers once every 10 games he'd been up w/ the Sabres or every 30 days he was up with them; but doubt that'd sit particularly well with them.

Also, if Levi did beat Reimer out and it sure seems he did; what message does it send to him and the rest of the team that they send him down to Ra-cha-cha until it's time for his next start?

It stinks that they lost Reimer.  And they do seem to have a credibility issue around the league.  But really expect that jerking guys around ISN'T the way to restore the credibility.  (Winning is the way to restore it.)

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I understand what you’re saying, but Levi is already too good for the AHL. His save percentage when playing in Rochester was .927%.  He needs to be facing NHL shooters and NHL speed to continue to develop.  

The most important thing for Levi is playing time    He's better off as 1AAA in Rochester than 1b or 2 in Buffalo at this point in his career.

Just now, pi2000 said:

The most important thing for Levi is playing time    He's better off as 1AAA in Rochester than 1b or 2 in Buffalo at this point in his career.

I know you like to cook young guys, but that’s a well done steak if Levi is here.  I would rather he get 35 nhl starts than 50 ahl starts. I want him on an nhl practice rink and with nhl coaches.  Agree to disagree. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, RochesterExpat said:

We just put NAK on IR. He could have held Reimer for another week. Or done a paper transaction with Levi. This is poor roster management.

Only if they were going to skate one of the D up at F (or run 11-7) unless both Benson and Peterka are good to go come Thursday.  There's only 13 non-IR'd F's on the roster and 1 of those missed Saturday's game and another likely wishes he'd missed Saturday's game as he missed almost 50 minutes of it.

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Levi should play 50 games this season for development. If he gets 50 games in Buffalo, something tells me things have gone wildly sideways. He could have played 30 in Buffalo while playing once a week in Rochester as well. 

Cmon.  You really think 50 games against AHL shooters is better than 30 games vs NHL players?

He's proved he belongs in the NHL at this point 

The posters complaining about this are most likely the first ones first to complain when Remier gets lit up that Levi isn't in net 

Just now, Taro T said:

Only if they were going to skate one of the D up at F (or run 11-7) unless both Benson and Peterka are good to go come Thursday.

Levi gets a paper transaction to Rochester and you recall a forward. If you need him, let Reimer sit as the backup. If not, you don’t have to do anything except send him down and reactivate Levi (if you want Levi on the bench).

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

The posters complaining about this are most likely the first ones first to complain when Remier gets lit up that Levi isn't in net 

I’m only complaining because it’s poor roster management by Adams when he had flexibility. I’d prefer Levi in the NHL than Reimer many times over, but I’d rather have both in the Org instead of losing one for nothing.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, RochesterExpat said:

Levi gets a paper transaction to Rochester and you recall a forward. If you need him, let Reimer sit as the backup. If not, you don’t have to do anything except send him down and reactivate Levi (if you want Levi on the bench).

And what about practice? you remember the issues they had last year with 3 goalies. 
The bottom line is we are talking about James Freaking Reimer.   If they get to the point they need him in net, the team is in lots of trouble 

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

The bottom line is we are talking about James Freaking Reimer.   If they get to the point they need him in net, the team is in lots of trouble 

No, the bottom line is Adams hasn’t proven himself as a GM and this is yet another questionable move.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterExpat said:

No, the bottom line is Adams hasn’t proven himself as a GM and this is yet another questionable move.

Signing a player in the offseason who is desirable on waivers is a questionable move?

The Sabres think Levi is better and belongs there. I agree with them and I’m sure the team does too. 

Lumping Reimer in to make a point about the GM’s inexperience misses the mark.  

14 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I know you like to cook young guys, but that’s a well done steak if Levi is here.  I would rather he get 35 nhl starts than 50 ahl starts. I want him on an nhl practice rink and with nhl coaches.  Agree to disagree. 

Plus, how important is a winning environment in Buffalo to the development of all the young players currently on the roster? Those players trying to get their career started and established on the proper foot? If Levi provides non-negligible value in this area, it probably makes the decision to keep him up a no-brainer 

10 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

While this is not a big to do. Adams is pure garbage and he gets no benefit of the doubt, so I will blame him for not having any foresight; once again. 

I’d settle for sight, outright 

2 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

This is not a problem as long as Luukkonen and Levi stays healthy.

Technically, even if one of them gets hurt (as long as its not a major injury), the other can just play all the games for a short period of time.

Is it optimal? No, but not terrible unless there is a major injury.

15 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I’m only complaining because it’s poor roster management by Adams when he had flexibility. I’d prefer Levi in the NHL than Reimer many times over, but I’d rather have both in the Org instead of losing one for nothing.

They managed to create a situation where one of the two goalies in Rochester is so bad they'd be better off playing with 6 skaters and an empty net. Just piss poor management all around.

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

They managed to create a situation where one of the two goalies in Rochester is so bad they'd be better off playing with 6 skaters and an empty net. Just piss poor management all around.

So you’re saying the Sabres should have signed a goalie in the offseason that was good, but not good enough to play in the NHL so no one else would want him? 

Or are we just gonna be mad for the sake of being mad because the Sabres have sucked for so long?
I’ll even give you hindsight…please tell me what the Sabres should have done?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Do you not understand that anytime they brought Levi back up to be a Sabre they still would've needed to waive one of Gilbert (who, per Puckpedia seems to have been waived today as he's not listed on the Sabres 23 man roster; so they could keep Kulich up with 3 forwards having been injured in the 2 games against the Devils), Bryson, or Krebs everytime they brought Levi up.  How would that have sat with the guys in the dressing room.  Granted that guy would only need to clear waivers once every 10 games he'd been up w/ the Sabres or every 30 days he was up with them; but doubt that'd sit particularly well with them.

Also, if Levi did beat Reimer out and it sure seems he did; what message does it send to him and the rest of the team that they send him down to Ra-cha-cha until it's time for his next start?

It stinks that they lost Reimer.  And they do seem to have a credibility issue around the league.  But really expect that jerking guys around ISN'T the way to restore the credibility.  (Winning is the way to restore it.)

If they are bringing Levi up that probably means a goalie was hurt. You put hurt goalie on ir that means no one gets waived . 

2 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

So you’re saying the Sabres should have signed a goalie in the offseason that was good, but not good enough to play in the NHL so no one else would want him? 

Or are we just gonna be mad for the sake of being mad because the Sabres have sucked for so long?
I’ll even give you hindsight…please tell me what the Sabres should have done?

I get people have the right to be mad, but on this forum there is a lot of reaching just to complain about something.

Yeah, there are obviously legit complaints, but we are now deep into the situation where if the Sabres have a binary decision to make..if they select "0" people will complain they didn't select "1", but if they selected "1" many of those people will complain they didn't select "0".  There is an agenda...an 'anti KA', 'anti Ruff', anti "pick your person associated with the Sabres", and no matter what happens, ANY perceived negative outcome will simply be the result of that person that is the focus of the agenda.

(I'll admit I am getting to the POINT of having a full-on agenda against Cozens, but I'm justifying it in my own head because of the repeated bone-head plays he makes game, after game, after game)

9 minutes ago, Noacls said:

If they are bringing Levi up that probably means a goalie was hurt. You put hurt goalie on ir that means no one gets waived . 

Umm, no, in that scenario if they're bringing Levi up, it's because UPL needs a rest.  You don't have a "hurt goalie" to put on IR in all likelihood.  Or are you cool with them losing games by starting Reimer when Levi would've given them better goaltending?  

The team has a window to make the playoffs this year; but they need several things going right for it to happen.  Getting very good goaltending is one of those items they'll need to do so.  Reimer will not consistently give the team very good goaltending.  It's possible UPL and Levi will have issues there as well; but of the 3, the one least likely to consistently give high quality starts is Reimer.  

They don't have the luxury of playing their 3rd best goalie in place of their 2nd best goalie.

Said 2nd best goalie possibly being their best goalie when all is said and done.

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Cmon.  You really think 50 games against AHL shooters is better than 30 games vs NHL players?

He's proved he belongs in the NHL at this point 

No, it’s not what I think. Which is why it’s not what the post says.

I think 30 games in NHL as UPLs primary backup while playing an additional one game per week in Rochester should be how we handle him. That makes 50.

Since NAK is out, Kulich is staying up. We can do paper transactions whenever needed to facilitate it. 

Levy needs games so he doesn’t stagnant. We aren’t supposed to be developing Marty Biron. If we were, sure let him play 30 games and not worry about it. 

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

I don't trust a kid Levi's age. I wish he was in Rochester for a full year grooming before calling him up. Toss in allow him to be part of a winner which not looking will have here again.

It not a matter of trust for me, its experience. 

He could have played in Rochester and in Buffalo, which helps him and the entire organization.   It would have been ok to start him in Rochester and give him a lot of work.   But I guess they will go with Levi as the 2 and if he plays even with UPL, or better, then they can deal with the contract stuff sooner rather than later.  

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

There is something objectively funny about Adams (1) clearly having had Reimer as part of his goaltending plan for the season and (2) then losing him to waivers at the start of the season.

Adams does not inspire confidence as a GM. 

He may have just been brought in for insurance in case things went south with UPL. Reimer was brought in 7/1/24, maybe even as leverage. UPL was signed about 3 weeks later. 

If losing Reimer had been a primary concern, they should have simply signed him to a larger contract with all that Skinner cash. Levi beat Reimer out in camp/pre-season and that was that.

Now... from an organizational perspective, the concern is depth and Sandstorm (deep hurting!) not being a great AHL goalie (by his career numbers) when you have a potential excellent Amerks roster that can learn how to impose its will on the opposition. But if they can't trust their goalie, they'll have a messy season, too.

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

If losing Reimer had been a primary concern, they should have simply signed him to a larger contract with all that Skinner cash. Levi beat Reimer out in camp/pre-season and that was that.

Now... from an organizational perspective, the concern is depth and Sandstorm (deep hurting!) not being a great AHL goalie (by his career numbers) when you have a potential excellent Amerks roster that can learn how to impose its will on the opposition. But if they can't trust their goalie, they'll have a messy season, too.

The Skinner cash paid for the new scoreboard and roof.