James Reimer claimed by the Ducks

Brawndo

Gibson is out with an appendectomy.  
he will return soon enough.   Sabres can reclaim him at that point, if necessary 

1 minute ago, Noacls said:

Do you not understand he could have sent Levi down to play more and not lose all the quality depth?

Yes but I want Levi playing in Buffalo not Rochester 

27 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

You can't blame Adams for this part

Not like we could have sent Levi down on paper then waived Reimer at a later date after the goalie needy teams went in another direction.  this all is Adam’s fault. Good luck Rochester getting a save 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ravenking32 said:

Not like we could have sent Levi down on paper then waived Reimer at a later date after the goalie needy teams went in another direction.  this all is Adam’s fault. Good luck Rochester getting a save 

You would rather the Amerks getting saves from Levi than the Sabres?   It's the AHL.  They will find a goalie who is  good enough for that level 

4 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I can only imagine the anger from Sabres fans seeing Reimer in net in place of Levi.  Especially after the way Levi played on the weekend 

I don't think that would have happened, had the team gone the paper-waiver route in order to protect Reimer a bit longer.

24 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Gibson is out with an appendectomy.  
he will return soon enough.   Sabres can reclaim him at that point, if necessary 

Yes but I want Levi playing in Buffalo not Rochester 

They’re in the same boat where Dostal can be sent down without waivers. I feel like they want him around though, 44 games played. So maybe Reimer does get waived pretty quickly. They have 5 other goalies signed (one injured for the year and another in Sweden), so I’m not so sure they will want Reimer in the minors. The contract is dirt cheap though, so who knows. 

Offering a positive contrarian view on why this move is ok:

1) we have two NHL caliber starting goalies on the roster

2) if one goes down the other picks up the slack - both have shown in previous seasons they can handle a heavy workload with a crap team in front of them

3) Both goalies are better than Reimer

4) Reimer level replacements can be found on the waiver wire as needed, or worst case Ontario for a 5-7th round pick

5) pic of me not getting too worked up about the 0-2 start

Trailer Park Boys Ricky GIF by NETFLIX

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We are TWO injuries from trouble. We have two decent goalies in UPL and Levi. 

If UPL or Levi go down with a week-to-week injury who fills in as our back-up goaltender? Do we then overplay the uninjured goalie until they then suffer an injury from being overextended?

I never liked Reimer and at the surface don't care that he's gone, but this whole scenario stinks of poor asset management. You could have sent Levi down as a paper transaction and then waive Reimer as after teams have settled with their rosters. 

Now we have another position we're thin at. 

4 minutes ago, Thorner said:

No you do need a second guy in today’s nhl 

Agreed.  But isn't most teams in trouble if one of their starters go down?

The 3-headed goalie idea sounds awful.  So the alternative is sending Levi down.  But what if (as seems obvious) they think Levi is the better goalie today?  Are we not trying to win now?  

I wanted Reimer as the #3 to be sure.  But we're talking about a 36 year old journeyman career backup vs a top prospect no?  Sucks we lost him but not sure I wanted them sending Levi down just so they didn't have a chance at losing Reimer. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Nuts.

In UPL & Levi we trust.  (They'd better stay healthy.)

I don't trust a kid Levi's age. I wish he was in Rochester for a full year grooming before calling him up. Toss in allow him to be part of a winner which not looking will have here again.

• Agree 1

Just now, The Jokeman said:

I don't trust a kid Levi's age. I wish he was in Rochester for a full year grooming before calling him up. Toss in allow him to be part of a winner which not looking will have here again.

I understand what you’re saying, but Levi is already too good for the AHL. His save percentage when playing in Rochester was .927%.  He needs to be facing NHL shooters and NHL speed to continue to develop.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Agreed.  But isn't most teams in trouble if one of their starters go down?

The 3-headed goalie idea sounds awful.  So the alternative is sending Levi down.  But what if (as seems obvious) they think Levi is the better goalie today?  Are we not trying to win now?  

I wanted Reimer as the #3 to be sure.  But we're talking about a 36 year old journeyman career backup vs a top prospect no?  Sucks we lost him but not sure I wanted them sending Levi down just so they didn't have a chance at losing Reimer. 

Ya, unless Levi would still be readily available for NHL starts and I’m not sure that’s feasible - I’ve just heard people hint at him going to and fro from Rochester.

You are right about the most teams thing. I think much of the angst is driven by how bad SandStorm seems to be. As mentioned, I’m not torpedoing Adams here until the results are bad. Presumably he could grab someone better than Storm if Levi or UPL goes down 

the 3 headed monster could have been an option, I guess, if they just completely parked Reimer until he was due to start. From what I’ve heard from folks like Jake Allen - it wreaks havoc on all three splitting starts but if Reimer literally wasn’t getting any and was just a failsafe, I suppose that idea could have worked. I think Brawndo comes down somewhere around there given his “better be sure” comment up thread