Would you be happy if Pegula sold the team?

LabattBlue

Sell the team?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Sell the team?

41 minutes ago, steveoat87 said:

Don't want him to sell the team.  If he does, you will never see another hockey team in Buffalo.  Better off hoping that eventually things will change -- he will either do what Dolan did with the Knicks where he hired someone competent and stayed out of their business, or his kids get more involved and either talk some sense into him or assume ownership themselves.

I live in New York City and went through hell with Dolan where he felt he knew best.  Eventually things changed and look where the Knicks are now.

If the Sabres left Buffalo it’s almost a double win. I could pick a new favorite team and I’d have a new most hated team. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • dislike 2

Yes, and it's at least 3 years I've been saying this.  The organization is cursed under his ownership.  I appreciate what he's done.  He's tried. But it's beyond time to sell and I think they would find ownership that keeps the team in Buffalo.  

4 hours ago, LTS said:

I don't care who buys it or if the team moves.  This team is an insult to the city of Buffalo because of the owner. People laugh about Buffalo because they equate the Sabres to the city.

Who wants that?

Get it over with already.

Oh hell yeah.

What are the potential outcomes of a sale?

1. Awesome owner.  Committed to doing what it takes to change the culture.  Brings respect to an organization that used to have huge respect. Hell yeah, gimme some.

2. Crappy owner, just looking for the long term investment.  Ok, so nothing changes.  Whatever.  Eventually apathy sets in and noone cares.  We’re not that far from this now.  Push.

3. Owner that moves the team.  Just speeds along number 2 anyway.

I see no downside and nothing but upside to an owner change.

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

Yes - he lucked into Josh Allen, otherwise useless as an owner

I’ll disagree with this one.  The Bills defense has been one of the better in the NFL in recent years.  Right decisions had to be made to achieve that.  

33 minutes ago, GoPre said:

I’ll disagree with this one.  The Bills defense has been one of the better in the NFL in recent years.  Right decisions had to be made to achieve that.  

Other than the Baltimore game, how has that defense been in the playoffs, when it mattered most? 

Not sure if people are finally ready for this.

Terry Pegula and the Sabres’ fatal error was placing so much emphasis on the “return” for Jack Eichel. It doesn’t really matter if the Sabres were “in the right” or in the wrong, that was the part everyone missed, not if the perception around the league was going to be that they did poorly by their franchise player

Inexcusable Terry missed this b/c *that was our burden to bear* because we TANKED for Eichel. Placing 1 player above all else was *what they signed up for*. They made their bed in 2015 and thought they could avoid paying the piper. Are Tuch and Krebs worth the reputation hit?

You let him get the surgery because you have to. The fallout of denying that to the player you sold the very soul of your franchise to get, is well beyond any trade return that was ever possible

2 minutes ago, Thorner said:

Terry Pegula and the Sabres’ fatal error was placing so much emphasis on the “return” for Jack Eichel. It doesn’t really matter if the Sabres were “in the right” or in the wrong, that was the part everyone missed, not if the perception around the league was going to be that they did poorly by their franchise player

Inexcusable Terry missed this b/c *that was our burden to bear* because we TANKED for Eichel. Placing 1 player above all else was *what they signed up for*. They made their bed in 2015 and thought they could avoid paying the piper. Are Tuch and Krebs worth the reputation hit?

You let him get the surgery because you have to. The fallout of denying that to the player you sold the very soul of your franchise to get, is well beyond any trade return that was ever possible

I usually think you’re pretty spot on, but not here. The combination of firing GMTM and replacing him with a completely different mindset was when the train when off the tracks. Everything since has just been carnage. 

10 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I usually think you’re pretty spot on, but not here. The combination of firing GMTM and replacing him with a completely different mindset was when the train when off the tracks. Everything since has just been carnage. 

Guess you weren’t ready for the cold ring of truth 

Teams change GMs all the time. It doesn’t lead to 14 year playoff droughts 

We replaced Murray 7 and a half years ago

the “carnage” began when we tanked. All of the failings systematic of the ineptitude of the owner. The ineptitude that lead to the fatal flaw I mentioned 

“no one wants to come to Buffalo”. You know, maybe that’s because no one cares about eloquent Sabrespace breakdowns of why we “actually” needed to wage a public war against the player we already prioritized above the rest of the roster several times over.

it didn’t work, Pegula being absolutely butthurt screwed us over, and one day everyone will admit it. When you are ready.

It was never about right and wrong. Perception is reality. If this, above all else, hasn’t been driven home to you in 2024…with the way the world is today..im not sure what to say 

Edited by Thorner

6 hours ago, Thorner said:

Come on, this isn’t a serious question. A sports-historic run of ineptitude aligns precisely with his tenure. Yes, a million times over yes. It would save the franchise 

He’s the biggest issue, by far 

Would defy logic to suggest we could pull a worse rabbit out of the hat. You don’t fear stuff like that when your current hand is the worst possible. 

Wait,  is this Thorny?  I've been out of the loop. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

You do remember when they were paying most of the team league minimum? Also they fired basically the whole front office. When I say what he did as an owner I didn’t mean building *****. It’s easy to build buildings.  It’s hard building a winning NHL team. 

He’s spending money on players because they had one good season a couple years ago. Which appears to be an anomaly at this point. 

he replaced the roof and put in a new Jumbotron. That is basically the upgrades to the arena. 

the only thing that he did was keep the team in Buffalo. Just about every decision after that was a disaster 

You said name one good decision he's made, then named a good decision he's made.

3 hours ago, Thorner said:

I think the fatal error was tanking for McDavid and ending up with Eichel.

20 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

I think the fatal error was tanking for McDavid and ending up with Eichel.

1) tanking “for McDavid” (20%) was always dumb and was folly from the beginning if that was the plan, based purely on odds. That’s why we always said it was about “McEichel.” The only way the strategy ever theoretically made sense (I think it was the wrong decision) if he you thought you could competently build a team around either, because finishing last guaranteed one.

2) As bad as failing to build around a guy demonstrably capable of leading a cup championship team (and league) in scoring was, the result was nonetheless salvageable until the cardinal sin I mentioned. Our reputation is soured because of Pegula’s handling of the situation. What is the perception around the league? That’s what matters. 

Edited by Thorner

I don't even want to try and put these in order

• Turdburger
  • ROR trade
  • Everything about Jack Eichel
  • Ralph Krueger
  • Phil Housley
  • Pat LaFontaine
  • Tank Tank Tank
  • "Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence, will be to win a Stanley Cup."
  •  

The list goes on and on and on...