GDT: Sabres @ Devils (in Prague), 10/5 @ 10am ET, MSG (local), NHLN, 550

#freejame

On a positive note: even nfl teams sometimes make the playoffs after 0-2 starts. It’s optics, and a belief that past precedent is a solid indicator that the 0-2 is reflective of the roster, that represent the concerning factors more than anything, more than we are actually behind any actual 24-25 8-ball

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Just finished watching this (replay as 7am is way too early on a Saturday for me) and so I've been able to read through all your comments and feelings. As usual I see it differently than many of you. 

Overall the team had more pace and effort. They battled for more pucks, but many of the same problems were still there. Levi was good. Goaltending might not be an issue, might even be a strength. It was really nice to see the return of Conor Clifton. He was one of the few who seemed to have listened to Ruff and he looked more like his Bruin self. I liked Krebs effort and compete but he really is no better than Curtis Lazar (at best). 

What was really nice to see (on the Sabres goal) was a big save and then a greasy goal the other way. That sort of quick turnaround and effort is how you can win games you don't necessarily deserve to win. 

Now, on the hit. Perfectly legal hit. Good solid contact. Peterka had his head down. His own fault. I'd even argue that it was marginal in terms of interference. Probably a few seconds late, but in the playoffs they'd let that go entirely. Illustrates how a guy like Dillon is what we actually needed on this D, not what we did. 

I'm really appalled by Sabres fans here critiquing Tuch and if I were him and that's the Sabres fan view I'd want out of this town. Only guy who stood up. Sure, he was reluctant to fight Dillon. Dillon's tough. Tuch's not a fighter. But he stood up for the team. Where the f was Malenstyn later in the game huh? Give me a break on your Tuch criticisms. He deserves better than you. 

Byram is a horrible defenseman. Horrible. Of all Adams moves I think the Mitts for Byram deal might be the one to sink this team more than any other. McLeod does not impress me at all and Thompson-Mitts-Cozens as your top 3 centers in that order would be a much better team than Thompson-Cozens-McLeod. 

Malentstyn is an AHL level player and a complete waste of space. Zucker? He played right? What did we sign him for again? Okay, try to convince me that was a good deal. Well done Adams, maybe you can flip him at the deadline for another 2nd rounder (3rd if he keeps playing like this). 

Unless he's hurt I do not in any way understand benching Benson. Zucker and others deserve benching. Benson was at least giving effort every shift. No comprehension of the logic there at all. 

Not much more to say. This team is going nowhere unless something changes drastically. 

Tuch is a floater. He skates big wide circles and only has an impact for the few seconds he’s on the PK.

I think Lindy should’ve used the fourth line to send a message but Tuch is playing outside where he should, third line.

• Eyeroll 1

Alex Tuch is sorta an Event guy. He’s always up for the Moments but he’s not a guy who’s seemingly giving his best day in and day out. He’s always struck me as the guy who “always finds the camera”

Edited by Thorner
  • Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

11 minutes ago, Thorner said:

On a positive note: even nfl teams sometimes make the playoffs after 0-2 starts. It’s optics, and a belief that past precedent is a solid indicator that the 0-2 is reflective of the roster, that represent the concerning factors more than anything, more than we are actually behind any actual 24-25 8-ball

On another positive note, they USED to be good at home under Ruff and go on a short homestead once they get stateside. 

Also, the Kings in Buffalo are USUALLY (wasn't the case 2 years ago but was again last year) the Sabres b*tches.  Probably about the best possible opponent they could hope for after the overseas trip.

Win that; find a way to beat the defending Champs and you're getting close to being back where you need to be.

5 minutes ago, Thorner said:

Alex Tuch is sorta an Event guy. He’s always up for the Moments but he’s not a guy who’s seemingly giving his best day in and day out. He’s always struck me as the guy who “always finds the camera”

And that would be fine on a team that can compensate with actual high end players. Not saying he is a terrible player but he isn’t what the team needs in terms of consistency. Dare I say putting a letter on him doesn’t send a positive message.

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

When you put it that way it sounds like tattling. I think he’s also acting as a senior advisor for Terry and taking an inventory of the roster/FO.

Maybe thats just wishful thinking on my part. 

I think the senior advisor is out of scope, he is the head coach.  He made be an advisor to Adams, but not to Terry.  

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

On another positive note, they USED to be good at home under Ruff and go on a short homestead once they get stateside. 

Also, the Kings in Buffalo are USUALLY (wasn't the case 2 years ago but was again last year) the Sabres b*tches.  Probably about the best possible opponent they could hope for after the overseas trip.

Win that; find a way to beat the defending Champs and you're getting close to being back where you need to be.

Remember when we used to always beat SJ in SJ?

I miss Matt D’agostini

Typically the first game home after a long road trip is lousy. Hope the guys can buck that trend vs LA.

One amazing trait with this organization since Terry bought the team is that the worst case scenario always seems to unfold.  You can’t come back home with maybe 1 point or 2,  it has to be zero.  lol.  i mean come on, surprise us with a gift just once in this ownership tenure!

I don't think you can give up on the season after 2 games.  There is alot wrong with this team and I have some hope that Lindy will take steps to address this.  They are too soft and am hoping he can inject some toughness into them.  I am also hoping that Lindy can convince Adams and Terry to spend some money to improve this team.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Just finished watching this (replay as 7am is way too early on a Saturday for me) and so I've been able to read through all your comments and feelings. As usual I see it differently than many of you. 

Overall the team had more pace and effort. They battled for more pucks, but many of the same problems were still there. Levi was good. Goaltending might not be an issue, might even be a strength. It was really nice to see the return of Conor Clifton. He was one of the few who seemed to have listened to Ruff and he looked more like his Bruin self. I liked Krebs effort and compete but he really is no better than Curtis Lazar (at best). 

What was really nice to see (on the Sabres goal) was a big save and then a greasy goal the other way. That sort of quick turnaround and effort is how you can win games you don't necessarily deserve to win. 

Now, on the hit. Perfectly legal hit. Good solid contact. Peterka had his head down. His own fault. I'd even argue that it was marginal in terms of interference. Probably a few seconds late, but in the playoffs they'd let that go entirely. Illustrates how a guy like Dillon is what we actually needed on this D, not what we did. 

I'm really appalled by Sabres fans here critiquing Tuch and if I were him and that's the Sabres fan view I'd want out of this town. Only guy who stood up. Sure, he was reluctant to fight Dillon. Dillon's tough. Tuch's not a fighter. But he stood up for the team. Where the f was Malenstyn later in the game huh? Give me a break on your Tuch criticisms. He deserves better than you. 

Byram is a horrible defenseman. Horrible. Of all Adams moves I think the Mitts for Byram deal might be the one to sink this team more than any other. McLeod does not impress me at all and Thompson-Mitts-Cozens as your top 3 centers in that order would be a much better team than Thompson-Cozens-McLeod. 

Malentstyn is an AHL level player and a complete waste of space. Zucker? He played right? What did we sign him for again? Okay, try to convince me that was a good deal. Well done Adams, maybe you can flip him at the deadline for another 2nd rounder (3rd if he keeps playing like this). 

Unless he's hurt I do not in any way understand benching Benson. Zucker and others deserve benching. Benson was at least giving effort every shift. No comprehension of the logic there at all. 

Not much more to say. This team is going nowhere unless something changes drastically. 

Agree on Clifton.

Agree on Byram.  So far he is not impressive but I'm willing to watch more before I say he sucks.  

Looking at the top 6 you have to agree that the loss of Mitts as a really dumb move. 

Willing to give McLeod and Maltenstyn more time, two games is way to short to evaluate them.  

As for Tuch, I am happy he responded but he really didn't do anything.  He fought Brady Tkachuk better than this guy.  

Benson is hurt, so is Peterka, and so is Abe Kubel.   We will get to see Krebs, Rousek and Kulich now - oh boy, three minor leaguers injected into the lineup.  

Zucker?   I don't think I heard his name in either game.  The $5M that Adams wouldn't give Mitts in what we are paying Zucker.  Once again, Adams looks to be over his head.  

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, steveoat87 said:

I don't think you can give up on the season after 2 games.  There is alot wrong with this team and I have some hope that Lindy will take steps to address this.  They are too soft and am hoping he can inject some toughness into them.  I am also hoping that Lindy can convince Adams and Terry to spend some money to improve this team.

The coach won’t make players tougher. They’ve been this way their entire lives. Only way to inject toughness is to acquire those players.

It’s too late to make any of these players except Benson into something they’re not. Same with most players in any sport.

The point is to put a team together of the right types of players with the right differing skill levels. Not hoping to turn existing players into something they’re not.

Team is built wrong. Too much hope in young guys having big ceilings and locking up that hoped potential with big money.The TT, Cozens, Muel, and Tuch you see is what they will be until age causes them to degrade.

Jury is still out on Quinn but the only top six we have are TT and Peterka. Only top three guy is Peterka. Tuch, Benson, and Cozens are middle six. Cozens possibly bottom six depending on what team he’s on.

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Typically the first game home after a long road trip is lousy. Hope the guys can buck that trend vs LA.

One amazing trait with this organization since Terry bought the team is that the worst case scenario always seems to unfold.  You can’t come back home with maybe 1 point or 2,  it has to be zero.  lol.  i mean come on, surprise us with a gift just once in this ownership tenure!

What about the new roof Terry gave us. It’s wonderful 

The idea it’s only been two games is incorrect. A lot of these guys, specifically most of the top six, have been together for a few years. They get the ice time and PPs and look what has been. They will do good against mediocre teams, struggle against bubble teams, and get dominated by top ten teams.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, jahnyc said:

The team is poorly constructed.  There is some individual talent, but the sum of the parts does not make for a quality team.  Watching the Devils successfully drive to the net or get to the front of the net from behind the net suggests that we just don't have the physical mix of players to stop this from happening.

The Devils have some very good young talented players and I think their young core is better than our core.  Not sure if that can be fully blamed on Adams and the scouts, but I don't think that Adams knows how to put together a competitive team roster.  He has had enough time, and the poor results continue.

Their talent had little to do with what went on these past 2 games. Puck possession is everything, the Devils had it, in spades, the Sabres had none. That's just the truth. Lost pucks, puck battles, poor zone exits, entries, all starts with strong puck possession. This entire roster does not hustle to the puck, with puck or to a high danger position to receive the puck, and it shows.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorner said:

Really? I feel like Byram has been good

A legitimate bright spot 

Not saying anything to roster construction but he’s been good so far this season 

I need to see more.  I’ll be at the a home opener so I can watch everything better.  He had some good play last year for the first week.   Then not so much.  Looking for him to make us better back there.  

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Sabres need to revamp top line... Tage playing soft since injury...  he needs a set up guy... Mitts was that... guys needs some testosterone... bunch of shinny $&:-#%!s

The only true setup guy we have is too young and small in Östlund.  Adam’s need to do his job.

27 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I need to see more.  I’ll be at the a home opener so I can watch everything better.  He had some good play last year for the first week.   Then not so much.  Looking for him to make us better back there.  

Clive Owen Television GIF by AMC Networks

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorner said:

Yeah but not every 0-2 is the same. Bengals starting 0-2 and they can probably overcome it because they have proven talent. Someone like Carolina Panthers start 0-2 and they're toast. Sabres core and youth have never proved they can do it over the course of a season. A slow start, will only put them in a hole where they won't be able to get out of. And after getting steamrolled two games on neutral ice, it's hard to believe they will all a sudden start to click and stay above water in the near future.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

FWIW, in terms of Kings having jet leg, they are already on the east coast. They play in Quebec tonight and staying there until they come to Buffalo for the game.

1 minute ago, Two or less said:

Yeah but not every 0-2 is the same. Bengals starting 0-2 and they can probably overcome it because they have proven talent. Someone like Carolina Panthers start 0-2 and they're toast. Sabres core and youth have never proved they can do it over the course of a season. A slow start, will only put them in a hole where they won't be able to get out of. And after getting steamrolled two games on neutral ice, it's hard to believe they will all a sudden start to click and stay above water in the near future.

FWIW, in terms of Kings having jet leg, they are already on the east coast. They play in Quebec tonight and staying there until they come to Buffalo for the game.

It’s tough. I just try to give every season a chance. I’ve spoken before my rope with this regime ends here, so I’m certainly not bailing before game 82

• Like (+1) 1