GDT: Oct 4 Sabres v Devils in Prague 1pm EST New Season... LETS Go!!!

JoeSchmoe

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

I say lift off and nuke the entire team from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure. But if that fails, or if they start 0-3, at least spread out the new guys so Zucker, Malenstyn, Lafferty, and Aube-Kubel (if healthy) can at least impact the young culture on a line-by-line basis. 

I thought it was interesting how Lindy deployed the fourth line on the PK.

SH TOI

Malenstyn 0:20
Lafferty 0:15
Kubel 0:00 (Was in the box for 1 of our 2 penalties)

I thought they were going to rely more on those guys to kill penalties. Greenway led with 2:24.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

The Sabres still have to pay him $1.9 million this year and next, since they signed him to an extension last year. I’d take that kind of unemployment. Plus he’s now doing segments on the NHL Network on Sirius.

I bet the segments are mediocre also arent they? 

• Haha (+1) 1

I think it would be the best move by the organization to play Kulich tomorrow. When is he ever going to play a real game for his NHL team in Prague? Dude has been busting his butt the last two years. and do we really think Krebs is going to make all the difference in one game? Over a season he is probably more consistently reliable at this point but in a single game - in Prague?! Gotta go with Kulich. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

I'll watch tomorrow. But, there needs to be a complete different feel for the game or else I will lose hope. 

It's one thing to come out shaky in game 1, but if you come out for game 2 against the same team and display what we saw today, then yeah, we have a problem with the actual team construction.. 

I still think Adams is a trash GM, and Pegula has ruined my hometown team for my favorite sport. 

• Like (+1) 4

30 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

I think it would be the best move by the organization to play Kulich tomorrow. When is he ever going to play a real game for his NHL team in Prague? Dude has been busting his butt the last two years. and do we really think Krebs is going to make all the difference in one game? Over a season he is probably more consistently reliable at this point but in a single game - in Prague?! Gotta go with Kulich. 

I agree - this organization just doesn’t get it and if Kulich and Rousek sit again tomorrow it’s just further proof. 

Like last season, I’m giving them 10 games to show me something.  If they keep me interested i’ll hang in there for the next 10 and maybe hit a game or two. I’m dying to support them like i did all through the 70’s as a kid…80’s and 90’s but they make it so damn hard.

I recall last year they started poorly and were like 5-5 after ten games.  They hovered around .500 and then just cratered sometime around mid-November through New Years.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Cozens can't shoot for *****. 

He’ll be a ~15 goal scorer and no more with that muffin he puts on goal. It’s barely an AHL top-6 forward’s level shot. He needs to make his money elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Two or less said:

I thought it was interesting how Lindy deployed the fourth line on the PK.…..

Greenway led with 2:24.

Greenway is a legitimately excellent penalty killer.

Guess I’m not really waiting a few games before commentating..whatever. I’ll keep it brief 

i was impressed by JJ’s pass on the goal

You know who looked good? One Bowen Byram. My worries about what the ETA is for his return to form being proven needless would be a massively positive development. I actually thought UPL was swimming around a lot, he’ll improve. The biggest thing possible for line 2 will be Tage performing as a superstar. Would probably buoy both lines, in effect. Truth is, most times, you need a star on offence to keep the whole machine turning. We didn’t have depth when we had the star in Jack. I think we have the depth now. But no performing star. Not yet. When Tage *was* a star 2 years ago we should by rights have made it if not for key errors from the GM, especially in goal.

Can Thompson be that star again, and for a good while? We’ll see soon to be honest. The runway of his prime isn’t on its early days. 

9 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

I think they were griping the sticks to hard. A lot of missed and fumbled passes. Hope Lindy can get the nerves settled down for the game tomorrow 

Could be a bit of gripping the sticks too tight; but personally expect a lot of the problem was not having faced legit top line competition since last April.  They settled down as the game went on.  Yes, a significant amount of the improvement in shots and chances was due to score effects; but they seemed to be skating with the Devils even in the 2nd significantly better than they'd done in the 1st.

IF that was a significant portion of the issue today, they should be much more competitive from the get go tomorrow.  (So, easy enough to see whether it may be plausible or not.)

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Could be a bit of gripping the sticks too tight; but personally expect a lot of the problem was not having faced legit top line competition since last April.  They settled down as the game went on.  Yes, a significant amount of the improvement in shots and chances was due to score effects; but they seemed to be skating with the Devils even in the 2nd significantly better than they'd done in the 1st.

IF that was a significant portion of the issue today, they should be much more competitive from the get go tomorrow.  (So, easy enough to see whether it may be plausible or not.)

The Devils eased off because they weren't the ones chasing an 0-3 hole. From that point on all they wanted to do is kill off the game (which they did quite easily).

• Agree 1

Well that was a huge disappointment.

They started OK but NJ’s forecheck took over the game about 6 min in and the Sabres got completely worked on both ends for the next 20-25 min of game time.  Then it was 3-0 and the game was over.

And they aren’t doing anything this year if TT and Tuch don’t start playing like they give a crap.   From the Athletic:

The glaring issue for the Sabres in this game was the way the top line played. JJ Peterka, Tage Thompson and Alex Tuch were on the ice for two goals against and didn’t score. The Devils had 71 percent of the expected goals when that line was on the ice at five-on-five, according to Natural Stat Trick.

I think we’ll see Levi and Kulich tomorrow and I’d guess Lindy ripped them a new one after the game.

4 hours ago, Believer said:

This is a highly misleading stat, imo.

Think the game was decided in the 1st Period when the Sabres came out flat and were outshot (as I recall hearing) something like 18 to 5 and were down 2-0. 

How do you come out flat for the first game of a pivotal season of high expectations after several days rest, encouragement from Adams, maybe Pegula and instructions from Ruff?

Seriously confounding.

Someone posted earlier Dahlin, Tuch, Samuelson, Cozens and the other veteran leaders need to show up tomorrow morning from the drop of the puck.

It will be a character test. Win or lose, show up and play hard.

No excuses. 

Yeah they took us to the woodshed and the game was over in the first period.  They were on cruise control the last 30 minutes. They could of put 6-7 if they kept their foot on the gas.  I don't expect much different tomorrow. It's a mismatch. Hope I am wrong. 

4 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

I agree put Kulich in, he should be super motivated to be playing in his country!

Looked like the same team from last year. Cant fathom playing hockey for the first 10mins, bad countless giveaways, non-stop odd-man rushes, can't break out, no offense or zone time, bad PP, cant get shots in high scoring areas…and Ruff chalked it up to them “being nervous” ??? I’m wildly concerned at that comment. The entire thing is worst case scenario after game 1. 

• Like (+1) 1