GDT: Oct 4 Sabres v Devils in Prague 1pm EST New Season... LETS Go!!!

JoeSchmoe

Okay, it's a little bit early in the season... An hour after game one... But we have some people going after each other. Pretty hard on here... I think the ignore list is going to be getting pretty big for some of us very soon.

And that's too bad. I do really like hearing opposing points of view to my own almost as much as when people agree with me... It makes for good conversation. I'm just not sure how long a lot of us will be able to deal with the over-the-top emotion one game into the season.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Okay, it's a little bit early in the season... An hour after game one... But we have some people going after each other. Pretty hard on here... I think the ignore list is going to be getting pretty big for some of us very soon.

And that's too bad. I do really like hearing opposing points of view to my own almost as much as when people agree with me... It makes for good conversation. I'm just not sure how long a lot of us will be able to deal with the over-the-top emotion one game into the season.

I say the mods block the Ignore button so we can get some full on internet fights. No holds barred!!!!!

social media internet GIF

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Yeah. This is helpful. Buffalo shot 3% on their high-danger chances; NJ shot 17% on the same.

Otoh, I worry about Cozens. On at least two occasions, he had primo chances but his shots were ... meh.

He is very polarizing, probably the most polarizing player on this team.

I think he has the raw talent to be good, but I think he actually has been a player that has done more harm to this team with his play (last year) than he has done good.  There are people that vehemently disagree.

Even this game, I saw the 'same old' Cozens, making terrible hockey decisions, yet there are at least a few other people that think he had a good game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

True.  But win tomorrow and they're tied for the lead in the race for the Presidents Trophy.

Ugly game.  Seemed they weren't ready for the Devils speed which is the downside of playing all preseason against 3rd liners and AHLers.  Come out tomorrow ready to get push back and let's see what happens.  As much as we've been hoping that they'd come out flying these 2 games and it'd set a tone for the full year; these 2 games weren't likely to set the tone for the full year.

Win tomorrow and then do their normal shellacking of the Kings in Buffalo and all is back to doable.  The plus coming out of tonight is the Devils MIGHT come out a little flat expecting it'll be a cakewalk based on how this one went.

Not throwing in the towel before the league season has even officially begun.

Well, it has officially started, but I take your meaning 

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

It doesn't concern me because:

1) It's one game

2) They are playing under a new coach and a new system and have different things they are being asked to do.  It looked like they were thinking too much instead of just playing, which isn't surprising. Likely is going to take a little while for them to be able to just go play and know what Ruff wants them to do and where they should be on the ice.

I mean, everyone should be “concerned”. It’s not like the default is that we are good until proven otherwise, it’s really the opposite. If we are thinking playoffs are even a 50/50 consideration, any loss is “concerning”. What we don’t possess is knowledge that the team will in fact be bad this year. There’s concern for what we will be, as it’s so up in the air, but when you’ve only played one game it’s definitely still exactly that: up in the air. Far too much emphasis is being placed on one game, on that I agree and spoke to earlier. 

It may be true the team will take time to learn Ruff’s system or whatever, but it’s a self imposed staffing decision, and unfortunately for us doesn’t mitigate the necessary results in any way. These standings points aren’t less important because we are gelling or something, and obviously no excuse has been provided

The online world will dollars to donuts swing entirely the other way if we win tomorrow. “We back” will be the refrain. Everyone knows the script. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Not even ***** close and I haven’t been for a long time 

Send me a pm if so inclined. You have my twitter, too. 

Edited by Thorner

7 minutes ago, Thorner said:

I mean, everyone should be “concerned”. It’s not like the default is that we are good until proven otherwise, it’s really the opposite. If we are thinking playoffs are even a 50/50 consideration, any loss is “concerning”. What we don’t possess is knowledge that the team will in fact be bad this year. There’s concern for what we will be, as it’s so up in the air, but when you’ve only played one game it’s definitely still exactly that: up in the air. Far too much emphasis is being placed on one game, on that I agree and spoke to earlier. 

It may be true the team will take time to learn Ruff’s system or whatever, but it’s a self imposed staffing decision, and unfortunately for us doesn’t mitigate the necessary results in any way. These standings points aren’t less important because we are gelling or something, and obviously no excuse has been provided

The online world will dollars to donuts swing entirely the other way if we win tomorrow. “We back” will be the refrain. Everyone knows the script. 

Send me a pm if so inclined. You have my twitter, too. 

If you have to be concerned every time they lose, I am going to assume you have never played competitive sports in your life.

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

If you have to be concerned every time they lose, I am going to assume you have never played competitive sports in your life.

If I was a fan of the panthers, I wouldn’t be concerned after a loss. I don’t think you really understood my post 

playing competitive sports, which I’ve done all my life, has literally nothing to do with my post or analysis of the situation at hand 

Edited by Thorner
  • Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

He is very polarizing, probably the most polarizing player on this team.

I think he has the raw talent to be good, but I think he actually has been a player that has done more harm to this team with his play (last year) than he has done good.  There are people that vehemently disagree.

Even this game, I saw the 'same old' Cozens, making terrible hockey decisions, yet there are at least a few other people that think he had a good game.

Cozens is strangely polarizing in my view. I thought he was our best forward today, and it wasn’t even close. He is closer to being our Hischier than Thompson is to being our Hughes. 

• Like (+1) 1

Frustrating game in that the same issues that dogged us last year were present today. Slow and sloppy start, bad PP and no single player who was both willing and able to do something dynamic to alter the trajectory of the game. On the positive side, it was game one and, if you are so inclined, you can chalk it up to the Sabres starting tentative and nervous (reasons for which not fully understood), and the Devils being opportunistic, and that put us behind the eight-ball, and that’s hockey in a nutshell. What happened today is reason for concern, but not necessarily indicative of how the season will go. I won’t be at all surprised if the outcome tomorrow is reversed. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Cozens is strangely polarizing in my view. I thought he was our best forward today, and it wasn’t even close. He is closer to being our Hischier than Thompson is to being our Hughes. 

No shot. Hirchier is on Barkov’s track.  Jack Hughes will be a top five player multiple seasons of his career. We don’t have that talent on offense.

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

saw none of the game... what did i miss?

Sabres hockey 

Good news is a 23 page game thread is probably the highest it’s been in years. The board came to play. 

• Like (+1) 1

So a quick FU to MSG in Tristate area for blacking out all Devils, Rags and Isles games while still not showing your games on TV!!! May all your teams miss the playoffs by one point!!!

So it sounds like for those that watched it was a shampoo bottle Ssbres, wash, rinse,  repeat.  

Was there a heavier forecheck? Were they playing with speed?? Were they playing with anything Ruff promised??