GDT: Oct 4 Sabres v Devils in Prague 1pm EST New Season... LETS Go!!!

JoeSchmoe

I talked myself into feeling positive about the Ruff move this summer.  It was great nostalgia seeing him yucking it up with Razor and some of the older guys in those offseason videos. 

But as soon as Toronto fired Keefe on May 9 I was like dang, i wish we would have waited and hired that guy.  Then of course he goes to NJ.

• Like (+1) 1

Watching this team today reminds me just how much the Sabres sucked last season.

Terrible net front presence in both zones, lousy structure in their own zone, terrible zone entries, too many 1 and dones in the offensive zone, overall lack of urgency, etc.

I don't know if Ruff can fix this, but he's going to have to work harder than any man in his 60s should have to to make this work.

Meanwhile that 7 mil or so of cap space that Kev is sitting on is looking pretty good right now.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Trettioåtta said:

The third was their best period. Let's hope they build on that and split this series.

Yeah, they were decent in the third, but it was a very low bar. Not feeling very optimistic if they trot Markstrom out again. NJ went out and got an elite goalie because theirs sucked. That's what real hockey teams do.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

No, he has been one player that played well

I don't know, I have seen the same 'bad' Cozens today.

At least 2 times over-aggressive on the forecheck, taking him out of the play.  A couple bad passes. With about 5 or 6 minutes left he had the puck in the offensive zone with time, the offense was set up, and he skated near the blue line and just shot a 55 foot wrist shot attempt into the shin pads of the defender right in front of him.  There was more, but I saw the same guy that makes bad decisions almost all the time.

He has the talent to notice him. He has the ability to get TOO the puck he puts pucks to the net which is good, its just, to me, he takes the shot when carrying the puck or passing it would be better, and he carries the puck when a shot should be taken. Its like opposite world with him.

Edited by mjd1001

Woot. Missed most of the game in meetings. I know most people will say I was lucky and didn't miss anything.

Meh. I didn't GAF before the game and I still don't. Allowing this franchise to impact one's quality of life is letting Terry Pegula win.  Not a chance I am giving him that satisfaction.

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

I'm sure Ruff is not going to be very pleased with that performance.

You think the players who he's coached these past 8 weeks will care? They are the main issue, to soft, unwilling to commit, unwilling to do what is necessary to win. That's what I've seen this game, and these past 13 seasons, long before Lindy for that matter. It's not just talent, it's not just coaching, it's believing in themselves, in each other. That starts with leadership, not only in ownership, in management, but on the ice. This team has no rudder. Hasn't for over a decade, even with ROR, Eichel, Reinhardt. What's the solution? When you successfully answer that, you can be Sabres GM.

• Agree 1

Here’s my take on the Sabres, I think Ruff was hired back because of Pegula’s blessings. I think Terry is part of the problem but I also thought they should have replaced all of the Assistant Coaches with players that were actually solid players in the league. Seth should have not been moved up. Don’t even know if he was the right guy in Rochester. Would have never signed an aging Zucker at 5 million. Every time you think Buffalo will get it right they seem to fall flat on their face!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Here’s my take on the Sabres, I think Ruff was hired back because of Pegula’s blessings. I think Terry is part of the problem but I also thought they should have replaced all of the Assistant Coaches with players that were actually solid players in the league. Seth should have not been moved up. Don’t even know if he was the right guy in Rochester. Would have never signed an aging Zucker at 5 million. Every time you think Buffalo will get it right they seem to fall flat on their face!

I wasn’t a fan of the Lindy move. Need fresh blood running the team not nostalgia. But we’ll see. Hopefully I’m wrong. 

Well if that's representative of Lindy Ruff hockey we might as well start talking about the draft. 

I don't know why I thought one man (Ruff) could come in and make these guys into something different but he didn't, they looked exactly the same. Virtually no physicality, no forecheck, turnovers, lost puck battles, limited net front and weak around their own net. Exactly the same. Even Clifton doesn't hit any more. 

The heralded new bottom six was not impressive and added no spark at all. If that's it, they are going nowhere. 

Coming off the ice their expressions looked like they'd all already lost their love for hockey. I'm happy for them that they had fun bonding in Germany, they certainly haven't gotten ready for regular season NHL hockey. 

Disappointing. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1