JJ Peterka, What Do We Have In This Player?

bob_sauve28

How good will JJP be?   

64 members have voted

1. 1. How would you categorize his potential?

• Total Superstar--like a top ten player in the league in scoring
    • Second tier star--top 50 scorer
    • Upper Middle level, Blah Ya sure, he will get his points, but this guy isn't a checker, defensive player or penalty killer, so just a really good player
    • Overrated soft and not that great, probably drives a Dodge
    • Flash in the pan, he won't be around long. I can already look into his eyes and see him laughing at the league, which he no longer takes seriously
  2. 2. How many goals will he score?

• Over 50
    • Just Over 40
    • Just Over 30
    • Just Over 20
    • Just Over 10
  3. 3. Who is going to have a better "Overall Career" Beson, Quinn or JJP? No I will not define "Overall Career" you do it.

• Benson
    • Quinn
    • JJP
    • Yo Mamma

Looks like I’m with the majority on 1 and 3. He may settle between options 2 and 3 within that first question, but he definitely has the potential of being a top 50 scorer at some point during his career, which last year was about 70 points.

I think most likely he’s ~ mid 20s in goals this year, so I picked “just above 20” even though no option fit great 

If I had to say, Quinn ends up the standout of our youts, but it’s honestly a massive toss up. No one knows 

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Do NOT give me a YO MAMA option and not expect me to hammer it.

I said second tier star, 30+ goals for Peterka. Excellent player.

As for the holy trinity of youts, I would have voted for Benson but for the YO MAMA option.

lol I swear I didn’t read yours first 

• Like (+1) 1

I can’t choose.

Benson has most battle and hockey IQ and JJ the most raw skill. Quinn is a close 2nd in both categories. I will be shocked if all 3 don’t have long careers as at least top 6 wingers.

Any of them can be more than that.

• Like (+1) 3

The best thing about it is, that Quinn, JJP and Benson are our players.  The type of guys you can root for, and watch nurture and continue to push it.  They play the game the right way.  I love Peterka, and he's currently my third favorite Sabre, just behind Dahlin and Benson. 

• Like (+1) 2

No one knows.

Ditto.

Ditto.

But what we do know - We have a lot of good vet leaders in: TNT, Dahlin, Tuch, Cozens, Zucker, McLeod, Greenie, Malenstyn, Lafferty, Kube, Clifton, UPL, Gilbert and Joker…. I really like that list! Isn’t it something that we have a vet team now? All of a sudden?

We also happen to have many arriving great, young players ready to make their mark: JJP, Quinn, Bennie, Sammy, Byram, Krebs, OP, Levi, 

Plus, we have several players ready to make the jump to the big leagues, these kids could provide exceptional depth this year: Kulich, Rosen, Östlund, RYJO and Novikov…..

Plus several who are one step behind those players: Helenius, Walberg, Neuchev, Poltapov, Komarov….. Am I missing someone?

I know the Sabres are in one enviable spot right now…..We WILL have to trade players for picks very soon. I don’t think we want the big trade. One, because we don’t need it. All our lines are where they’re supposed to be that is our first line is a first line, etc….

And two, we don’t want to put all our eggs in one basket by getting a star. We want to destroy teams with our relentless attack of four excellent lines…..

I really think we make the playoff this year plus actually win at least one round,,,,

KA did exactly what he said he would. Build a team through the draft and trades the long, sure way. We are loaded, men, enjoy the good times. They are here and are staying a long time as we are set up for years and years, imho…. Just gotta keep both KA and Forton. (And Ruff too, I think….I don’t know how much he was responsible for adding all the grit this offseason but they did such a great job. Every single one of their signings was gold! And almost everyone had grit. The one that didn’t is a shutdown center with blazing speed, so I’ll forgive them for that.) I think we look for more size and grit from here on out though…. Not like crazy, just more than we have been.

We’re ready.

3 hours ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

No one knows.

Ditto.

Ditto.

But what we do know - We have a lot of good vet leaders in: TNT, Dahlin, Tuch, Cozens, Zucker, McLeod, Greenie, Malenstyn, Lafferty, Kube, Clifton, UPL, Gilbert and Joker…. I really like that list! Isn’t it something that we have a vet team now? All of a sudden?

We also happen to have many arriving great, young players ready to make their mark: JJP, Quinn, Bennie, Sammy, Byram, Krebs, OP, Levi, 

Plus, we have several players ready to make the jump to the big leagues, these kids could provide exceptional depth this year: Kulich, Rosen, Östlund, RYJO and Novikov…..

Plus several who are one step behind those players: Helenius, Walberg, Neuchev, Poltapov, Komarov….. Am I missing someone?

I know the Sabres are in one enviable spot right now…..We WILL have to trade players for picks very soon. I don’t think we want the big trade. One, because we don’t need it. All our lines are where they’re supposed to be that is our first line is a first line, etc….

And two, we don’t want to put all our eggs in one basket by getting a star. We want to destroy teams with our relentless attack of four excellent lines…..

I really think we make the playoff this year plus actually win at least one round,,,,

KA did exactly what he said he would. Build a team through the draft and trades the long, sure way. We are loaded, men, enjoy the good times. They are here and are staying a long time as we are set up for years and years, imho…. Just gotta keep both KA and Forton. (And Ruff too, I think….I don’t know how much he was responsible for adding all the grit this offseason but they did such a great job. Every single one of their signings was gold! And almost everyone had grit. The one that didn’t is a shutdown center with blazing speed, so I’ll forgive them for that.) I think we look for more size and grit from here on out though…. Not like crazy, just more than we have been.

We’re ready.

And even with all those great players mentioned, you left out the last cathegory, the ones with potential, with players like Ratzlaff, Ziemer, Strbak and Kleber. Players that are 3-4 years away.

8 hours ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

No one knows.

KA will have to manage this situation with both caution but also by making some tough decisions. If JJ, Jack and Benny are all as good as we think, they will demand serious coin and we can't keep everyone. We might have to trade a player or two we all like 

If the 2nd question was referring to this season, would adjust the answer down to 30's.  But expect he'll hit 40 once or twice through a (hopefully) long career.

Like @dudacek says, each of the 3 kids should be really good but each is a different sort of player.  Not sure which would be considered THE best of the 3 when all is said and done.  Would likely lean towards Quinn, but Benson might have more Marchand in him than it appears at just 19.

And Peterka might be the most fun of the 3 to watch as he'll likely have the most highlightish reel style goals.

JJP had 25 5 on 5 goals last season.  Give him some 1st line PP time and he'll score 30+ easily.

Quinn, while a little older than JJP, has always been just a little more productive.  You can easily argue that both have similar upside and being on the top line  could weight the scales to JJP, but I think Quinn has another gear we haven't quite seen yet.  

I see Quinn as a long term better version of Tuch.  JJP reminds me of a better playmaking Skinner.  This is not a shot a JJP.  I love this kid's offensive game, but do worry about how willing he is to play 200 feet.  If he does become a 200 foot player, than JJP's upside is 70+ points.

Benson is our Marchand.  Marchand's peek was 39 goals and points seasons of 85, 85, 100 & 87 points.  I'd love Benson to reach those heights.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Benson's my pick of those three. I see Peterka as 2nd tier and constant 20+ goals, 30+ if he and/or the team has a really good year. But I suspect he will be fairly consistent and reliable. 

I think Benson is difficult to project right now. In order for him to exceed the other two he needs to develop physically and fast.  Right now I don't think he has an elite trait

Peterka has elite speed and a nice shot.  That immediately translated to the NHL game.

Quinn has an elite shot and a high hockey IQ. He struggled at first but last year he came back faster and noticeably stronger.  Hes been able to find space on the ice and show his skills.

Benson has great competiveness, high hockey IQ, and nice hands but hes too easily taken out of the play due to his lack of speed, size, and strength.  All of that can be improved but he has a ways to go.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ISmelikZhitnik said:

I think Benson is difficult to project right now. In order for him to exceed the other two he needs to develop physically and fast.  Right now I don't think he has an elite trait

Peterka has elite speed and a nice shot.  That immediately translated to the NHL game.

Quinn has an elite shot and a high hockey IQ. He struggled at first but last year he came back faster and noticeably stronger.  Hes been able to find space on the ice and show his skills.

Benson has great competiveness, high hockey IQ, and nice hands but hes too easily taken out of the play due to his lack of speed, size, and strength.  All of that can be improved but he has a ways to go.   

I'm going to disagree. Benson will be the better player because (despite his size) he already drives through players and doesn't try to avoid contact. He's not one of our many perimeter shooters he gets right in there and thrives on the contact. Look at the first NJ game even. The one physical moment of the game we had, there was Benson shoving in front and smiling about it. Kid is a gamer. 

I'm tempted to say trade him to Boston where he can thrive and not lose his current love for hockey. He deserves better around him then his teammates are currently showing. 

• dislike 1

2 hours ago, Doohicksie said:

Why do you even post here, @PerreaultForever?  Every post you make boosts the Bruins and tears down the Sabres.

Well since you insist, things just got worse for the Sabres, Bruins have signed Swayman. 

Now to your point, you are fine with so called Sabres fans dumping on Tuch, the only guy to stand up (feeble attempt as it was) when his teammate got crunched but you take issue with me? Okay have at it. Maybe the team really is a reflection of the fanbase if that's the case. I'd hope not, but those comments about Tuch were sad to say the least. You should be directing your angered loyalty there.

I've said for years Bruins are my literal B team and I have been hoping for years to see a Sabres team that will give me a playoff conflict or even a flip in that scenario but it never happens. They keep rolling along and Sabres keep failing, so watching both teams I compare and contrast success and failure. What can you learn from that? What's the differences? Some of them are glaring. So I point them out and you don't like it. Maybe take your scorn out on your team and their ineptitude rather than me, but since you don't have Terry Pegula's email I guess it's easier to just attack me so have at it if it makes you feel better. It won't help you though. It won't make the Sabres a better team.

Sabres fans hate Tuch. Trade him to Boston then. He's exactly what they could use in their top 6. Since you don't value him that is. You can have one of those shiny Euro prospects take his place. How's that sound? Good. Glad we agree.