GDT: Red Wings at Sabres 7pm Streaming Sabres.com, Radio WGR550 9/30/24 7pm

Brawndo

Just now, LGR4GM said:

What happens if the horse shoe falls out of UPLs and Levi is better?

Probably the same thing that happened when Miller grew up and Biron was relegated back to his rightful spot as the best backup in the NHL from the late 90's to the mid 00's.

7. Konsta Helenius (C/RW/LW), Buffalo Sabres, Draft: 2024-R1:14

I wish I was surprised that Helenius fell in the ‘24 Draft… but, I’m not. Of course, the average-sized, European center got overlooked for hefty defenders. But man, Helenius can play. He’s as quick as they come and turns on a dime, pairing with seriously elite IQ and awareness to make Helenius effective in any spot. He can drive offense, he can finish scoring chances, he can get in opponents’ face on defense, and he can play special teams. Better than all of that, Helenius passionately wants to be an NHL star… the best Finn ever, to be exact. That’s the motivation I want my prospects to have. We know Helenius will stick around North America this season, but I’ll go as far as predicting he works into an NHL role before the year ends, taking the first step towards becoming the desperately needed glue-guy in Buffalo’s top-six

• Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If I ran WGR I'd insist we have a separate radio crew calling games. What's the point of having games on radio when all you hear are Rob Ray's long stories?

Paul Hamilton and Brian Koziel would be a great duo. They did the prospect games.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If I ran WGR I'd insist we have a separate radio crew calling games. What's the point of having games on radio when all you hear are Rob Ray's long stories?

Doesn't Paul Hamilton periodically do Rochester games? 

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My guess is that the cost of the radio would not be offset by any minimal increase in ratings.

22 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Paul Hamilton and Brian Koziel would be a great duo. They did the prospect games.

14 minutes ago, tom webster said:

My guess is that the cost of the radio would not be offset by any minimal increase in ratings.

Hamilton is at all the games anyway, or just home games? Even if he did the just home games live, it would be an improvement. Ray just doesn't think about the radio audience.

Sandstom doing Sandstrom things.  84 for Detroit brought the puck into the zone and was surrounded by 4 Sabres.  Let a shot fly from near the BL that went through the wickets.  It MIGHT've been tipped; but if it was it was still about 12' inside the BL with plenty of time for him to react to it.  (And not positive it was deflected.)

Just now, pastajoe said:

If they had put Ratzleff in for the 3rd they’d still be winning.

Probably.  So it is 3-2 bad guys?  (Again, didn't see the 2nd and am not getting any sound (but am watching football now, so don't care that there isn't sound).)