GDT: Sabres @ Red Bull Munchen 8:30pm CET, 7:30pm UK, 2:30pm ET NHLN, MSG-B

steveoath

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sabres fans are going to love Lafferty this season.  He is noticeable every shift.  

Levi may already be better than UPL.  His reaction time is just so fast.

Levi may be better than UPL or UPL may be better than Levi. If we can get quality tandem goaltending for a full season, regardless how the workload is distributed, this team will be demonstrable better than last year's team. If you add in the fact that our fourth line is better constructed, and there is expectation that our scorers should be better compared to last year, then there is realistic expectation that this team will be a playoff team. And if you include the fact that the improved roster will be better coached, then the elevated expectations should be attainable. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Reconstructing the lower line has better balanced out the lineup. One beneficiary of that new line will be the top line because it will be less burdened by defending against the other team's top line, especially at home when they make the last line change.

We still have to see the new Lafferty line against real NHL players and when it counts.  If they are good then they force lines 3 and 2 to earn their ice.  We need that. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Levi may be better than UPL or UPL may be better than Levi. If we can get quality tandem goaltending for a full season, regardless how the workload is distributed, this team will be demonstrable better than last year's team. If you add in the fact that our fourth line is better constructed, and there is expectation that our scorers should be better compared to last year, then there is realistic expectation that this team will be a playoff team. And if you include the fact that the improved roster will be better coached, then the elevated expectations should be attainable. 

Oh man... remember Comrie? 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Watching this game and seeing this chant for JJP kinda pisses me off 

why can't the Sabres organization attempt to create the type of atmosphere in their arena?  Hire someone to lead a stand up and chant section.  Then sell tickets in one of the corners as A "stand and chant" section.   
let people bring in flags, and have someone with a drum.    
Would you buy tickets in the section knowing you were expected to stand and chant the entire game? 

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

why can't the Sabres organization attempt to create the type of atmosphere in their arena?  Hire someone to lead a stand up and chant section.  Then sell tickets in one of the corners as A "stand and chant" section.   
Would you buy tickets in the section knowing you were expected to stand and chant the entire game? 

I would suggest this is hard with a loser franchise. Start winning this year, play exciting and hard and then you have the time to introduce this. 

I saw part of a Utah preseason game and it looks like they will be trying to follow the Vegas lead and create a spectacle every night. Sabres could do that, but first they have to clean off 13 years of stank. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Hire someone to lead a stand up and chant section.  Then sell tickets in one of the corners as A "stand and chant" section.   

Think of the beer sales! 😂

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

How about the fans organically start something themselves? Why do fans need their hands held to cheer?

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

How about the fans organically start something themselves? Why do fans need their hands held to cheer?

From my outsiders pov, this seems to be the main difference between NA sports and over here in euroland. Due to football culture over here it’s almost programmed into fans. 

my local football team (stadium maybe had 1.5k supporters)

Glasgow clan: Arena holds 3.5k This is section N our noisy fans section. All fan led. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Chet and Muffy would not approve.

8 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

B.c they haven't been good enough to field a crowd for that.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

What if you already own seats in one of these corners that becomes a “stand and chant”?  

If they just put out a consistently good team that wins games this would not be a discussion.   The fans don’t need help on how to cheer from a FO that has been inept since Pegula took over, they just need a good hockey team.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Pimlach said:

We still have to see the new Lafferty line against real NHL players and when it counts.  If they are good then they force lines 3 and 2 to earn their ice.  We need that. 

You are right that we haven't seen this new line against NHL players and in real game situations. However, what is apparent (even as an early judgment) is that this line is fast and tenacious. I won't be surprised that this so-called lower line will have a positive cascading effect on the other three lines. In general, the GM did a good job in subtracting players and adding players to better balance out this roster. 

12 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I watched a Winnipeg preseason game the other night.

Spoiler Alert: Comrie still stinks 😃

It’s funny that we thought because he hadn’t managed to play in the nhl very much in a decade that meant he was an un-mined potential avenue for success 

Edited by Thorner

12 minutes ago, Thorner said:

It’s funny that we thought because he hadn’t managed to play in the nhl very much in a decade that meant he was an un-mined potential avenue for success 

It worked briefly with Hutton, until injuries doomed that attempt to find gold in a pyrite mine.  So, naturally, they HAD to take another crack at it.

Not that upset that they tried to find gold in the pyrite mine; more upset that when it obviously didn't happen they didn't move on from the pyrite they'd mined.

Just now, Taro T said:

It worked briefly with Hutton, until injuries doomed that attempt to find gold in a pyrite mine.  So, naturally, they HAD to take another crack at it.

Not that upset that they tried to find gold in the pyrite mine; more upset that when it obviously didn't happen they didn't move on from the pyrite they'd mined.

Ya, maybe I’m too biased because I said from day one it was a bad strategy ie confirmation bias, but I’ll probably stick with it considering there’s been no compelling argument made to the contrary since  

15 minutes ago, Thorner said:

Ya, maybe I’m too biased because I said from day one it was a bad strategy ie confirmation bias, but I’ll probably stick with it considering there’s been no compelling argument made to the contrary since  

The Leafs did this by signing Stolarz this season who had a great season as backup in Florida last year. Woll, Stolarz and Murray battling it out in net.

Florida may wish they had him back as Spencer Knight looked awful against Carolina last night.

11 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The Leafs did this by signing Stolarz this season who had a great season as backup in Florida last year. Woll, Stolarz and Murray battling it out in net.

Florida may wish they had him back as Spencer Knight looked awful against Carolina last night.

But the guy who looked great as FLA's backup the year before (Lyon) ended up in Detroit and had a rather up and down year IIRC.

FLA may be wishing that Stolarz was back this year; but so might the Loafs be.

58 minutes ago, Taro T said:

My recollection is that Hutton, who was JB's big swing, stunk from the get-go.

Comrie had a few flashes (and to be fair, Hutton probably did as well), but certainly was a complete washout.  Probably KA's biggest individual failure -- both betting on Comrie and, as you point out, not fixing it earlier.

Hutton was a bigger fail, as he got a 3-year deal from Botterill while KA only gave Comrie a 2-year deal, but of course he ranks pretty low on the laundry list of terrible Botterill moves.