Rasmus Dahlin named Sabres Captain

Brawndo

LGR4GM's question earlier is a good one, 

"Also, the hand wringing over having home and away alternates is bizarre, why do any of you care about something so trivial. "

My only answer is the consistency in all situations of who the team and the other teams and officials recognize and allow to question or talk to them on a regular basis. Now thinking about it if all of them are speaking from the same script in agreement on the team things it shouldn't be worse and maybe better.   

30 minutes ago, R_Dudley said:

LGR4GM's question earlier is a good one, 

"Also, the hand wringing over having home and away alternates is bizarre, why do any of you care about something so trivial. "

My only answer is the consistency in all situations of who the team and the other teams and officials recognize and allow to question or talk to them on a regular basis. Now thinking about it if all of them are speaking from the same script in agreement on the team things it shouldn't be worse and maybe better.   

On the optimistic side, as an acknowledgement/affirmation of the leaders on the team, those leaders may feel even more empowered to step up what they bring on and off the ice.

A vote of confidence from a new coach can't be a bad thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

No it isn't. If you identify your captain and decide you have 4 others that are good leaders, creating a leadership team is just fine. I never hear this with football where sometimes you have like 4 or 5 captains on each side of the ball. I think the truth is simpler. You and others wanted 1 captain and 2 alternates. You got 4 alternates so now you have to explain why that is bad. But the truth is, we don't have any evidence it is bad or good yet. It just is. 

100%.  Moreover, A's or not on the sweaters, those players were clearly providing leadership on the team and would continue to do so. Getting a letter is a reflection of what they already do.

With regards to work ethic, there's no saying that these players didn't have a problem with how things were last year. But, they had a coach they had to work with and we already have heard how Ruff operates things more stringently than Granato did. I would imagine having a coach letting little things go would make it rather difficult for the leaders on the team. Of course it's speculation, but I have a similar situation where I work right now. My boss is all over the place and talks a big game but when it matters he forgets stuff and people get away with putting out a poor product.  I also manage people under him. I am routinely fighting his leadership to try and make sure people are not taking the easy way out.  I don't always win.

Let's just see what a coach with a more detail oriented attitude and a new leadership group can do with this team.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe that Dahlin was the obvious choice.   He has at times played with a hate to lose attitude and he leads by example, which night after night is more effective than fiery speeches IMO.  On top of that he is the best player on the team and one of the long tenured Sabres, despite his age.  

Tuch is another obvious pick and most agree he is A, or even C material.

After that everyone else getting an A is being stretched and challenged to reach another level.  

Thompson is a really hard worker, another by example guy.  Mature and stable, a married family man type.  I am happy for him and hope he takes the load and responds by demanding more of others.   I believe that the real Tage is a 40+ goal scorer, not a 29 goal scorer like last year. 

Samuelsson is an interesting choice, it seems like Lindy is trying to drive him into what he feels he could be.   I would not call him a natural leader just yet, but he may be the type that others on the team look for to be one.  It’s up to him to take it on.  

Cozens is the kid that I felt could evolve into a C someday, but not yet.  He is that scrappy Canadian kid that will embrace and understand the tradition of the role.    We saw last year that he still has some emotional growth in front of him, but he has fire and he wants it.  

I like rotating the A’s in this situation.   Lindy is pushing the buttons on some of the key guys. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Dahlin certainly doesn’t check everyone’s boxes but he’s probably the right choice.  I don’t know if it was documented on how they chose the captain.  Was it coaches choice or did the players vote?  

Also, being a captain doesn’t always mean you are the team’s best leader. It means you are the face of the team and represent the org in a professional manner.  Rasmus meets that criteria.  Sometimes a little too buttoned up.  I’d like our captain or at least team leaders to be a little unhinged so opposing teams are always a little uneasy.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

People always talk like it's weird that captains get traded, or like its something particular to the Sabres.

I'd think it's probably more unusual when a captain retires with his team.

To expand this ... the constant "our guy won a SC" drivel is really getting tiresome. When I looked, less than a quarter of the players on Florida were drafted by Florida. Tkachuk was way more important to their overall success than Sam AND Kyle combined.

The most pressing need for Sabres success is so the fanbase can stop this senseless self-flatulating and "whoa are we" moping about. (Is it "woe"? "Whoa" does not seem right)

2 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

To expand this ... the constant "our guy won a SC" drivel is really getting tiresome. When I looked, less than a quarter of the players on Florida were drafted by Florida. Tkachuk was way more important to their overall success than Sam AND Kyle combined.

The most pressing need for Sabres success is so the fanbase can stop this senseless self-flatulating and "whoa are we" moping about. (Is it "woe"? "Whoa" does not seem right)

I mean... Reinhart literally scored the game winning goal in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Not exactly what you're referring to, but I'll presume that I'm guilty as charged.

Link(s)?

Here is one.  Mitts was the ring leader of Bryson, Cozens and new Captain Dahlin.  

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/topic/sabres-embedded/sabres-embedded-full-house-338806648

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

On 9/26/2024 at 5:03 PM, dudacek said:

Tuch is the only letter-holder not on a long-term deal.

Power is the only one on a long-term deal not to get a letter.

I think Power will get an 'A' pretty soon.  He will likely slide in when Muel is out with an inevitable injury.  Lindy needs to keep the symetrical 'A' rotation in sycronicity.

23 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Who was the last Captain to retire a Sabre?

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I think Power will get an 'A' pretty soon.  He will likely slide in when Muel is out with an inevitable injury.  Lindy needs to keep the symetrical 'A' rotation in sycronicity.

Doubt it. Power hasn't been an A or C since he was in U17 AAA.

41 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Doubt it. Power hasn't been an A or C since he was in U17 AAA.

He doesn’t give off the captain’s vibe.

But the fact that he has consistently been one of the youngest players on his team over that period probably has a lot to do with that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He doesn’t give off the captain’s vibe.

But the fact that he has consistently been one of the youngest players on his team over that period probably has a lot to do with that.

And could see him grow into more of a leadership mindset as he matures as well.

• Like (+1) 1

I used to think Tuch should 100%be the captain but it was leaning towards Dahlin after the season ended. He was talking and saying things a captain would say. He’s been 1 of our best players for the past 3-4 seasons and plays the game correctly so it was a great choice and congrats to him.

Samuelsson is interesting to me because it tells me the organization sees him in a different light. I always said watching him “man if he’d just use his size” we could have a Chara on our hands or Chara-light at least. I think Ruff will try and bring that out in him, if he can stay healthy he can be a force imo.

4 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I used to think Tuch should 100%be the captain but it was leaning towards Dahlin after the season ended. He was talking and saying things a captain would say. He’s been 1 of our best players for the past 3-4 seasons and plays the game correctly so it was a great choice and congrats to him.

Samuelsson is interesting to me because it tells me the organization sees him in a different light. I always said watching him “man if he’d just use his size” we could have a Chara on our hands or Chara-light at least. I think Ruff will try and bring that out in him, if he can stay healthy he can be a force imo.

He’s Kjell’s son.  He’ll likely have more Kjell’s game.  Rangy, steady, calm.  Not an aggressive, physical game.

Coaches can’t paint new leopard spots.

• Like (+1) 1