Rasmus Dahlin named Sabres Captain

Brawndo

6 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

He 'only' a 24 year old D-man

He's the oldest 24-year-old I know.

6 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Hate the “rotational” approach….leave it to the Sabres to take something simple and make it complex.

What’s next to come, the return of the 3 goalie rotation?

Then move on and pick another team to root for.

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 2

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Based on this video and the jerseys distributed you are correct

I trust Lindy's judgment, and Dahlin is probably their best player, and he plays hard, but I gotta say I was hoping for a different reaction from Rasmus than what we saw in this video.  He was humble and appreciative, but also kinda soft-spoken and unassuming -- "Let's do something good."  I kinda wanted something like "You guys aren't going to like me all the time.  We haven't been good enough.  We need to start coming out determined to win every GD night." 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I trust Lindy's judgment, and Dahlin is probably their best player, and he plays hard, but I gotta say I was hoping for a different reaction from Rasmus than what we saw in this video.  He was humble and appreciative, but also kinda soft-spoken and unassuming -- "Let's do something good."  I kinda wanted something like "You guys aren't going to like me all the time.  We haven't been good enough.  We need to start coming out determined to win every GD night." 

He might wear the "C" but he's definitely not the alpha dog in that locker room.   

Who might that be?  Probably not on the roster yet... hence 4 alternate captains... with Lindy filling the Alpha role for now.

Edited by pi2000
  • Eyeroll 1

33 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

He might wear the "C" but he's definitely not the alpha dog in that locker room.   

Mitts, but he is now in Colorado.

Like the Dahlin choice. He at least has earned the “C.” He is probably more of an Alpha Dog than you think.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Who might that be?  Probably not on the roster yet... hence 4 alternate captains... with Lindy filling the Alpha role for now.

It’s definitely Dahlin. He just wasn’t getting respect from his colleagues because the country club atmosphere reigned supreme. Lindy will change that 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Mitts, but he is now in Colorado.

Like the Dahlin choice. He at least has earned the “C.” He is probably more of an Alpha Dog than you think.  

Lol calling Mittelstadt an alpha is peak homer vibes. Dude was perhaps the most laid back Sabres of the post Eichel era. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Rotating As is silly. Especially on a team that hasn’t had any success in over a decade. If this team is so teeming with leadership they can’t narrow their letters down to 3, they should be able to walk into the playoffs. 

Warning Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Outside of high school, has Miitelstadt ever worn a letter?

Nope. I have also never read or seen anything coming out of the Sabres or that locker room pre or post trade that Casey Mittelstadt was some kind of leader. We know he was the best golfer on the team... so that's something. But back to the OP, Mitts is certainly not an Alpha. 

17 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Rotating As is silly. Especially on a team that hasn’t had any success in over a decade. If this team is so teeming with leadership they can’t narrow their letters down to 3, they should be able to walk into the playoffs. 

Leadership isn't the only ingredient to getting into the playoffs. Also, the hand wringing over having home and away alternates is bizarre, why do any of you care about something so trivial.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

What did you want him to say in that setting? Dahlin is more of an understated and mellow person. That doesn't mean that he isn't an intense competitor. What you want from your leaders is authenticity, not phony showmanship. As Lindy stated in that same clip what is most important in exhibiting leadership is leading by example. If Dahlin or any of the other assistant captains act out of character, their teammates will instantly recognize that. It's not about talking---it's about setting the example and exhibiting leadership through one's play. At least for me, Dahlin's short and simple comment after the designation was the right response at that particular moment. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Nope. I have also never read or seen anything coming out of the Sabres or that locker room pre or post trade that Casey Mittelstadt was some kind of leader. We know he was the best golfer on the team... so that's something. But back to the OP, Mitts is certainly not an Alpha. 

I took the discussion of "alpha dogs" to be substantially the same as a discussion of who's a leader, who'd be a natural captain. Anyway, Mittelstadt is a terrific player, imo. A leader, an alpha, a captain -- he ain't.

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What you want from your leaders is authenticity, not phony showmanship.

Excellent point. There's a lotta different ways to get that job done.

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What did you want him to say in that setting? Dahlin is more of an understated and mellow person. That doesn't mean that he isn't an intense competitor. What you want from your leaders is authenticity, not phony showmanship. As Lindy stated in that same clip what is most important in exhibiting leadership is leading by example. If Dahlin or any of the other assistant captains act out of character, their teammates will instantly recognize that. It's not about talking---it's about setting the example and exhibiting leadership through one's play. At least for me, Dahlin's short and simple comment after the designation was the right response at that particular moment. 

lol, right? "You guys aren't going to like me?" What kind of neanderthal shiznit is that? 🤣 He's been with these guys for years, and they have already been around each other for over a week straight, but he gets some extra fabric on his sweater and NOW he changes? Fastest way to alienate people, in my opinion. 

To me, he earned it when he was blocking empty net shot attempts in meaningless games because he is so sick and tired of losing. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Leadership isn't the only ingredient to getting into the playoffs. Also, the hand wringing over having home and away alternates is bizarre, why do any of you care about something so trivial.  

Obviously it’s not the only thing. But this team and organization will tell you they have the talent to make the playoffs. The running line is work ethic was the issue last year. That’s a reflection of leadership. With five great leaders all deserving of letters, this clearly won’t be an issue anymore. So when the company line is work ethic was lacking, leadership is the only missing ingredient that matters. 

It’s a reflection of either a lack of seriousness from the organization, a worry about hurting feelings, or marketing that the issue is fixed. 

6 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Obviously it’s not the only thing. But this team and organization will tell you they have the talent to make the playoffs. The running line is work ethic was the issue last year. That’s a reflection of leadership. With five great leaders all deserving of letters, this clearly won’t be an issue anymore. So when the company line is work ethic was lacking, leadership is the only missing ingredient that matters. 

It’s a reflection of either a lack of seriousness from the organization, a worry about hurting feelings, or marketing that the issue is fixed. 

No it isn't. If you identify your captain and decide you have 4 others that are good leaders, creating a leadership team is just fine. I never hear this with football where sometimes you have like 4 or 5 captains on each side of the ball. I think the truth is simpler. You and others wanted 1 captain and 2 alternates. You got 4 alternates so now you have to explain why that is bad. But the truth is, we don't have any evidence it is bad or good yet. It just is. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Actually, Granato said it several times that Mittelstadt was a leader, especially for the young guys.  Pretty sure there were a few lockerroom  interviews that players themselves mentioned that too.