Rasmus Dahlin named Sabres Captain

Brawndo

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not surprised but I disagree with the choice. It's not a big disagreement, but we shall see if it's a mistake down the road. Absolutely hate the rotational alternates. That's complete indecisive dumbassery imo. 

Thank you for not disappointing. 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Tuch. 

I'd have given Rasmus an A and the second A honestly not sure. Maybe Thompson. I used to say Cozens but he hasn't earned it. 

Possibly. Or they just couldn't decide and gave the C to the highest paid and longest term signed player and then rotated in the older higher ranked players so as not to offend any of them by being left out. 

even the coaches are buying in to the Samuelsson is 40 narrative 

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

No, it's not "new" but I don't like it. Never have. Personally I think it diminishes their authority/gravitas if and when they speak. So I disagree with Lindy's philosophy on that. He wants more leaders, I'd want real leaders. 

I agree with you on that.

If we hear quite a bit from both the Bills and Sabres, and even in past years, some players "don't need a letter to be a leader" then why rotate letters?

I would have gone with Dahline as Captain (Tuch my 2nd choice but ultimately I think Dahlin is the choice), with Tuch and Thompson as the A's.

Samuelsson and Cozens?  They haven't earned it with overall play yet. If Tuch isn't here in 2-3 years, one of those 2 can step into the "A", but I'd rather just go with the 3. 

Then again, I don't think it means much for the success or failure of the team.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Tuch is the only letter-holder not on a long-term deal.

Power is the only one on a long-term deal not to get a letter.

The letters were in the fine print of those contracts 

- - - 

They’ll probably switch the As based on home/away, that adds a bit more authority/rigidity to it imo

Edited by Thorner
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Hate the “rotational” approach….leave it to the Sabres to take something simple and make it complex.

What’s next to come, the return of the 3 goalie rotation?

You realize it's only rotational in name only right? For the purposes of the games and nothing else? There's 4 alternates, only thing that changes is the jersey patch. 

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Samuelsson is interesting. Most of us on here think he can be a good-to-very good Defenseman when he is healthy, yet last year he seemed to take a slight step back.

Wonder what he is like in the room? what he is like with Lindy or KA.  He 'only' a 24 year old D-man with about 150 career games played (less than 2 full seasons), so to be named an alternate is a bit surprising.

I have to imagine Samuelsson is as wacky as hell in the room. My son is probably the foremost expert on Sabres Players' Instagram and he loves Samuelsson's account. He's witty as hell.  He's probably pretty good at de-escalating tensions while still maintaining a standard of play.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

He comes across as the goofy glue guy but he has had leadership roles at USA hockey and the NCAA levels.

Yep.  Goofy glue is important.

I'm happy with the choice.  I think he'll mature even more into the role as he is still quite young. But there's no denying his passion. He also has that awkward humor about him that just... works.

It's a smart marketing move to use Buffalo's most favorite athlete to introduce him. Allen is the embodiment of all fans championship hopes right now. Using him certainly elevates the message. It doesn't change their ability to succeed on the ice, but if Dahlin can become the Sabres' Allen... I think we'll all be happy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorner said:

- - - 

They’ll probably switch the As based on home/away, that adds a bit more authority/rigidity to it imo

Did I miss a memo? Is Thorny transitioning to Thorner or are these two seperate posters? 😃

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not surprised but I disagree with the choice. It's not a big disagreement, but we shall see if it's a mistake down the road. Absolutely hate the rotational alternates. That's complete indecisive dumbassery imo. 

That you would disagree with the choice, no matter who it was, is hardly a revelation.  You argument on alternate captains is the real dumbassery.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Thorner said:

- - - 

Based on this video and the jerseys distributed you are correct

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Based on this video and the jerseys distributed you are correct

Lindy is the right coach at the right time. Granato specialized is developing young players while Lindy is more capable of coaching a team to compete in the NHL.