GDT: Sabres at Ottawa 7pm 9/26/24. MSG-TSN Feed, Radio WGR 550

Brawndo

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

40 shots.  Impressive.  Ullmark and Tokarski in net for the Sens.  Fascinating! 

There were more Senators players with regular season Sabres games than Sabres players with regular season Sabres games on the ice tonight—and it wasn’t even close.

• Haha (+1) 2

I saw the latter part of the second and the first 10+ minutes of the third. I don't know what to make of that game - we're not supposed to get excited about pre-season games and it was, what, our C squad? They played well above expectations. 

If nothing else, we're elevating the trade value of our depth.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ... said:

we're elevating our depth.

fify

I really think that's what it is.  We've had a lot of quality draft picks over the past several years.  We had a top notch developmental coach who, well, developed a lot of those prospects, as well as the young NHLers that didn't have proper development under the old system.  If you consider that the HC sets the tone for the NHL and the AHL teams, Granato did a creditable job of bringing out the talent in the players and urging them to play to their talents without stressing too much about mistakes.

Now the new/returning HC is setting the tone in a different way, and that's how to use the talent you have to achieve your aims.  That with ability you also need hustle; with smooth skating you also need grit, that you play for the team, not just for yourself.  It's focusing that developed talent toward a brand of hockey that will, hopefully, get this team back into the playoffs.

The team seems to be reacting well to Ruff, but Ruff also seems to be reinvigorated now that he's back with the Sabres.  It couldn't have always been Ruff; he needed to go when he did.  But now the team is ready for him and he is ready for the team.

I was skeptical that Ruff would be the Ruff of old, but I'm starting to see indications that he's all that and more.  I'm starting to look forward to this season.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

How's the Östlund / Rosen watch going? 

After dumping on Rosen a last night, he was much better tonight; asserting his talent and making more plays, although he passed off on a few opportunities he should have wired. As the winner showed, the shot is top-tier.

Östlund was quieter after an outstanding game against the Pens, but still good.

Well, quieter until the OT at least 😁 That was one of the prettier goals we’ll see this year.

It should not go unremarked that each came up big at clutch time.

3 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Helenius with a very long, very good shift. Needs a couple more pounds to stay on his feet.

And then, Östlund... that was pretty.

Add Kulich, R Johnson, maybe Levi in net. Maybe Rousek if he clears waivers. The Amerks could be quite solid this season.

I found it very impressive that a team with no NHLers and about 10 players with 3 or less years pro so thoroughly outplayed the rosters they did over the past 2 games.

It’s basically been our 25-50 versus the opponents’ 15-40 - guys with basically no NHL shots this year against the guys fighting for the Sens and Pens 8-10 last spots.

They skated fast, they limited chances and they worked.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

So this was the first live action I've seen of the Sabres this preseason.  I thought it was pretty entertaining.  The Amerks in blue & gold definitely had something to prove, and I was impressed by their harried approach to defense:  They just attack the puck and don't give up until they get it back.  But just as impressive is that they covered for each other while doing it, so that if they did lose the battle they weren't totally exposed defensively.

In the offensive zone they were puck hogs, simply taking it away from the Ottawa players in board scrums, and having someone nearby to chip it to.  If the real Sabres play like this, it's gonna be a fun season.

• Like (+1) 3