GDT: Sabres @ Penguins 7PM 9/24/24, wgr & sabres.com, preseason

LGR4GM

Can someone give an honest report on how Rosen and Östlund are doing?

Part of me is super hopeful that they're going to be bonafide contributors to us being perennial cup contenders... And another part of me... The much pettier part.. wants to hear how right I was that they sucked as picks.

Edited by JoeSchmoe
Added the petty comment
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Angry 1
  • dislike 1

15 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Can someone give an honest report on how Rosen and Östlund are doing?

Part of me is super hopeful that they're going to be bonafide contributors to us being perennial cup contenders... And another part of me... The much pettier part.. wants to hear how right I was that they sucked as picks.

Hate to break it to you but they don’t suck as picks. Both need to add some more muscle but they both have NHL games.

They might not both play for Buffalo though. They might be pieces to bring in other pieces the team needs. 

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Meh. Color me unimpressed. And I don't understand actively coaching Alamo mode when the idea is to get a good look at these kids. 

Seems like a pretty good result for the Amerks players.  Penguins didn't field their true NHL team, but there were plenty of NHL regulars/tweeners out there

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Meh. Color me unimpressed. And I don't understand actively coaching Alamo mode when the idea is to get a good look at these kids. 

What's there to be impressed about? It was a bunch of AHL players on both sides. The entire Sabres team is over in Germany.

They won, it's better than losing.

Would have been "more impressed" if they lost?

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

Lindy has a very limited time to install his system and with the Euro trip the Sabres have way less time to look at kids. 

they already know there are only about 3-4 bubble players so looking at kids is not a priority.  Learning how Lindy wants to play and getting ready for back to back games versus NJ is his priority. 

last year they ran a extended tryout and were not ready to play when the season started.  I complained about that a lot.  They were terrible right from the start.

I think Lindy is doing it right and given the circumstances he has no choice.  This team needs a good start to the season.  Time to win is right NOW. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/sabres/the-sabres-remain-undefeated-in-preseason

The Sabres power play goal produced the game winning goal from a very impressive 19-year-old power forward. Anton Walhberg was hard on a few battles along the wall and found himself behind the net. He quickly came out front and Tyler Tullio’s rebound came right to him for the goal. You might say it was a lucky goal and yes it was, but Wahlberg made his own luck by getting into position right around the net.

The Sabres first-round pick from this past June, Konsta Helenius played his first game and there were some things to like. He wasn’t even close to perfect, but his anticipation was good and he processes the game extremely well for an 18-year-old. I'm sure he had more than a few nerves.

Isak Rosen was not one of the 27 players that earned the right to go to Europe, but honestly he didn’t deserve it. He didn’t dominate the Prospects Challenge like Jiri Kulich did and he didn’t seem to have his head into this game. He had no shots and had a lazy turnover on the power play that led to some shorthanded opportunities. This has to change quickly or the 2021 first-round pick is going to plummet down the depth chart.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Our C team beat their B team. It’s nothing to write home about, but it’s not like this was a poor performance either.

Think the message is this year is all about winning. Period. Every game at every level.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Lindy has a very limited time to install his system and with the Euro trip the Sabres have way less time to look at kids. 

they already know there are only about 3-4 bubble players so looking at kids is not a priority.  Learning how Lindy wants to play and getting ready for back to back games versus NJ is his priority. 

last year they ran a extended tryout and were not ready to play when the season started.  I complained about that a lot.  They were terrible right from the start.

I think Lindy is doing it right and given the circumstances he has no choice.  This team needs a good start to the season.  Time to win is right NOW. 

My post had nothing to do with Lindy, but I agree entirely. 

I was fine with the first two periods, but going Alamo mode in a preseason game when you need to evaluate these kids made no sense to me.