GDT: Columbus at Buffalo 9/23/24, 5:00 pm. Sabres.com for streaming and The Bet 1520 am

Brawndo

Zucker, McLeod Greenway in. Tuch, Rousek, Kulich out. Are they going to put Krebs on the top line? I'd assume the 3rd and 4th lines will be in tact. Maybe Krebs on the 2nd and Benson on the top line? I won't be able to see any of this one, especially with the Bills game basically at the same time. I'll be curious to see what the line combos end up being and how well Krebs does wherever they put him

Before I found out how they were using camp, I was wondering if Krebs would get a look on one of the scoring lines.

It’s a little surprising though under the condensed circumstances.

Maybe a peek at their intentions for him this year? He’s going to be a Swiss Army knife that gets plugged throughout the lineup as needed, as opposed to a 13th guy who gets plugged in at the bottom of the roster and everyone else moves up?

I’m particularly interested in seeing what McLeod brings.

Hope the Jackets dress more NHLers than PIttsburgh did.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Hope the Jackets dress more NHLers than PIttsburgh did.

I don't think they are. I want to say their lineup was posted yesterday, but since I'm in the office I can't go looking for it. I also don't know their roster that well, so maybe it was more NHLers than I realized

• nfreeman changed the title to GDT: Columbus at Buffalo 9/23/24. Sabres.com for streaming and The Bet 1520 am
  • nfreeman locked, unlocked and pinned this topic
45 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Zucker, McLeod Greenway in. Tuch, Rousek, Kulich out. Are they going to put Krebs on the top line? I'd assume the 3rd and 4th lines will be in tact. Maybe Krebs on the 2nd and Benson on the top line? I won't be able to see any of this one, especially with the Bills game basically at the same time. I'll be curious to see what the line combos end up being and how well Krebs does wherever they put him

FYI the game was moved to 5

• Thanks (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Very good question.  Wondering if keeping Tuch out is to make sure he doesn't get an injury like in camp last year or if it's to see what Benson can do on the top line (maybe both)?

If Krebs fits into that slot, it's simply a case of making sure Tuch stays healthy and seeing how Krebs does in a 'you slide into any slot that there's an opening' role.  If not, would expect they'll see how Benson does in the forecheck role on that top line.  It also could be their opportunity to see what Zucker can do on the 2nd line rather than putting him out there with McLeod and Greenway like most of us expected.

Either way, expecting we won't see Tuch until they face Joisey.  He'd made it sound like his line wouldn't be playing that game against Munich.  (Didn't say that exactly, but what he said gave that impression IMHO.)

(So much for the thought they'd keep the lines together all preseason.  Of course, with that top line getting 3 goals, and them having been together the last ~ 2 months of the season, expecting Ruff knows what he's getting from the Peterka - Thompson - Tuch line so that one doesn't need to be together all 3 games.)

49 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

FYI the game was moved to 5

That's good to know. Unfortunately since I'm out of state, I'm not sure I can watch it. The fine print says the stream on Sabres.com is for in market only. I'll have to check NHLN when I get home. They had the Pens game.

• nfreeman changed the title to GDT: Columbus at Buffalo 9/23/24, 5:00 pm. Sabres.com for streaming and The Bet 1520 am
1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Very good question.  Wondering if keeping Tuch out is to make sure he doesn't get an injury like in camp last year or if it's to see what Benson can do on the top line (maybe both)?

If Krebs fits into that slot, it's simply a case of making sure Tuch stays healthy and seeing how Krebs does in a 'you slide into any slot that there's an opening' role.  If not, would expect they'll see how Benson does in the forecheck role on that top line.  It also could be their opportunity to see what Zucker can do on the 2nd line rather than putting him out there with McLeod and Greenway like most of us expected.

Either way, expecting we won't see Tuch until they face Joisey.  He'd made it sound like his line wouldn't be playing that game against Munich.  (Didn't say that exactly, but what he said gave that impression IMHO.)

(So much for the thought they'd keep the lines together all preseason.  Of course, with that top line getting 3 goals, and them having been together the last ~ 2 months of the season, expecting Ruff knows what he's getting from the Peterka - Thompson - Tuch line so that one doesn't need to be together all 3 games.)

I would think that Tuch being out is more because he is a known commodity for the Sabres. He is the oldest returning forward, and one of the more consistent players that the Sabres have. He has generally started his seasons strong (when healthy), and is not very likely to have significantly improved or declined compared to the last couple seasons. When it comes to figuring out the roster and where to slot players and how they play with the team, he’s less of a question mark than pretty much anybody else, so it makes sense that he gets a break. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

I would think that Tuch being out is more because he is a known commodity for the Sabres. He is the oldest returning forward, and one of the more consistent players that the Sabres have. He has generally started his seasons strong (when healthy), and is not very likely to have significantly improved or declined compared to the last couple seasons. When it comes to figuring out the roster and where to slot players and how they play with the team, he’s less of a question mark than pretty much anybody else, so it makes sense that he gets a break. 

All those things sound like something you say about a team's captain.

Just sayin'.

Tuch should definitely not be captain.   He talks a big game and disappears for big stretches.   

He was the guy talking playoffs early last year and he largely mailed it in for the season.

Dahlin is likely the guy, but would prefer someone who more consistently shows up to compete.

Benson has all the traits, just too young.... I'd prefer they don't name a Captain until it becomes self-evident.

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Tuch should definitely not be captain.   He talks a big game and disappears for big stretches.   

He was the guy talking playoffs early last year and he largely mailed it in for the season.

Dahlin is likely the guy, but would prefer someone who more consistently shows up to compete.

Benson has all the traits, just too young.... I'd prefer they don't name a Captain until it becomes self-evident.

Suggesting Rasmus Dahlin of all people doesn't show up consistently and compete, is a choice. I disagree wholeheartedly with that notion. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

So there will be like 2300 people in attendance tonight right? It’s preseason, it’s Monday night, Columbus is the opponent, Bills are playing at 7:30, Sabres have let us down the last 15 years… perfect storm 

About 2,000 more people than would've been in the barn had they kept it a 7PM start.

(And, it should actually be a fun game to be at.  The Sabres will have essentially their NJ lineup minus the 2 captains & Levi starting over UPL and the BJ's will have an AHL heavy squad.)

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

About 2,000 more people than would've been in the barn had they kept it a 7PM start.

(And, it should actually be a fun game to be at.  The Sabres will have essentially their NJ lineup minus the 2 captains & Levi starting over UPL and the BJ's will have an AHL heavy squad.)

Is there a way to watch the game?