GDT: Pittsburg Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres 7PM 9/21/24--Preseason

bob_sauve28

If defence has a hard time with a big, strong and fast player like Puljujärvi, it probably means more problems during the season. Something for the coaches to work on.

But talking about Puljujärvi, I really hope he stays healthy, it seems he has figured out what kind of player he is, might be a big season coming.

Blomqvist had a bad night, looked nervous. Not NHL ready unfortunately. But maybe his chance will come later, he did it great in AHL last season.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Benson really impressed me tonight. I know it was an NHL team against an AHL team, but i really liked Benson’s non-stop approach.  We have been waiting to find our Marchand, and I think we have, but without the cheap shots.  

He put up 30 points last year, but his around the net game coupled with playing with better players may allow him to make as big, if not bigger jump in production than JJP and Quinn did last year.  

Don't be so sure of that. Wait until that kid is a full grown man and I'm pretty sure you'll see a fair number of cheap shots. He might not lick anybody, but he's gonna crosscheck and slash and do a little this or that in tight quarters mark my words. How dirty idk, but he won't win a Lady Byng. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Don't be so sure of that. Wait until that kid is a full grown man and I'm pretty sure you'll see a fair number of cheap shots. He might not lick anybody, but he's gonna crosscheck and slash and do a little this or that in tight quarters mark my words. How dirty idk, but he won't win a Lady Byng. 

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised either way.

3 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

If defence has a hard time with a big, strong and fast player like Puljujärvi, it probably means more problems during the season. Something for the coaches to work on.

But talking about Puljujärvi, I really hope he stays healthy, it seems he has figured out what kind of player he is, might be a big season coming.

Blomqvist had a bad night, looked nervous. Not NHL ready unfortunately. But maybe his chance will come later, he did it great in AHL last season.

It was just Power still being lazy and getting beat like he has last couple of years. I hope Ruff can ignite a fire under him 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Benson’s brilliance is where he positions his stick. He knocked 4’pucks and passes down in one shift just by body and stick position.

That reminds me of when I was playing soccer.  I played defense (fullback) and, despite frequently being complemented for my play, a teammate says to me “ you’re not playing defense.  You just get in people’s way.”   Huh?

17 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

MSG and Sabres.com games only available in Buffalo. ESPN+ only gets 2 games 9/24 & 9/26. No word on TV for Red Bull Munich?

I saw the game on NHL Center Ice.

Great to be watching hockey again.

Sabres looked hungry. Different team. 

• Like (+1) 1

Solid game, that 4th line is going to be an asset for us if we can get into the playoffs. Like I've been saying for awhile, I never understand the love for Peyton Krebs, only 4 players had 0 points, 2 of them were defensemen and Krebs was amongst them, imo he didn't look like he belonged. 

6 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

Hopefully it’s just a learning curve thing or whatever as Puljijujarvi is one of the few if not the only NHL caliber on their roster last night.   Otherwise, we could be looking at a lot of football scores this season for the Sabres. 

• Agree 1

The Sabres played their roster players while the Penquins mostly played their AHL players. So it is difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions from this game. Taking that into consideration, I thought that there was more offensive net presence than usual. That's a major plus. I thought our newly formed fourth line played very well. This line is fast and tenacious. This is a big upgrade from last year. I also like the fact that our blueline players were more willing to shoot the puck. I thought Joki was most noticeable on this aspect of the game. And as others have noted, Benson's tenacious style of play stood out. He's going to be fan favorite. In general, you can see the Ruff influence of emphasizing getting the puck quickly out of the zone and pushing the play. This was a good start that hopefully indicates better things to come. TBD.

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Zach Benson hasn't met an opposing player he won't forecheck

He's got the IDGAF  mindset... perhaps at the same level as Mike Ramsey checking Wayne Gretzky in an All-Star game.  Love it.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The Sabres played their roster players while the Penquins mostly played their AHL players. So it is difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions from this game. Taking that into consideration, I thought that there was more offensive net presence than usual. That's a major plus. I thought our newly formed fourth line played very well. This line is fast and tenacious. This is a big upgrade from last year. I also like the fact that our blueline players were more willing to shoot the puck. I thought Joki was most noticeable on this aspect of the game. And as others have noted, Benson's tenacious style of play stood out. He's going to be fan favorite. In general, you can see the Ruff influence of emphasizing getting the puck quickly out of the zone and pushing the play. This was a good start that hopefully indicates better things to come. TBD.

And thank God for this. I’m glad we are playing our starters in preseason and not wonder which prospect will make it on to the club. Last year was a disaster in this regard. Let’s get the rust out now and start the season strong. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

3 hours ago, kas23 said:

And thank God for this. I’m glad we are playing our starters in preseason and not wonder which prospect will make it on to the club. Last year was a disaster in this regard. Let’s get the rust out now and start the season strong. 

So does Ruff continue to put mostly starters in preseason games?

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Apparently yes, at least for tomorrow's PS game.  Then they head over to Germany for the "real" team's final PS game against Munich.

And they'll be putting AHLers and ECHLers in the other 4 games.

(And it explains why they have 7 goalies in camp; 3 are going to Europe and the other 4 will allow them to have 2 fresh goalies for each of the 4 remaining PS games.)

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Another situation like this game tonight. Leafs are playing their NHL lineup while the Sens are bringing their AHL team. Frustrating part of preseason is the difference in quality of lineups.

Wonder why Berube would do that?  Ruff at least has the excuse of only having 2 PS games before leaving for Europe.

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Yes. The roster and line combos are most likely almost set. The first, second and fourth line will probably be the same as the first preseason game. The players on the blueline are set, while the combos still have to be determined. Ruff appears determined to establish player cohesion as soon as possible. And it is a priority that this team starts off well when the season starts. It's about the now.  He's wise in taking this approach. 

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Wonder why Berube would do that?  Ruff at least has the excuse of only having 2 PS games before leaving for Europe.

Are preseason games discounted in price or are the tickets priced at regular season rates? 

42 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Yes. The roster and line combos are most likely almost set. The first, second and fourth line will probably be the same as the first preseason game. The players on the blueline are set, while the combos still have to be determined. Ruff appears determined to establish player cohesion as soon as possible. And it is a priority that this team starts off well when the season starts. It's about the now.  He's wise in taking this approach. 

Are preseason games discounted in price or are the tickets priced at regular season rates? 

The prices are ~55-60% of RS prices.  (Still WAY too much.  Should be ~25% of RS prices.)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

It’s Toronto they charge even more for preseason games. 😜

And Leafs are losing 1-0 and being outshot 17-2

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

I am guessing Berube is installing a new system and wants much game time with it as possible.

• Thanks (+1) 1