GDT: Pittsburg Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres 7PM 9/21/24--Preseason

bob_sauve28

Can’t gleam too much off a game like tonight but the Sabres did what they needed to do.

I was so impressed with the new 4th line tonight. So much speed and physicality. And they can play they are not slugs. McLeod adds a lot of the same so it really will be a new look in the bottom 6 this season.

Quinn and Benson are going to be so much fun together this season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Well you're not going to learn much from a game like that with such different line up approaches but a couple takeaways:

Style of play under Lindy is clearly different. Much more net front presence, basic direct hockey. Tips and deflections. It's about time. 

Feistier and more unified team dynamic with team push back. Solid attitude. 

Bottom unit is a solid grind line. 

negatives, 

Some horrible defensive play and giveaways in their own end. The D needs work. 

UPL didn't look good but hard to judge, he may have been falling asleep with the lack of sustained work by this AHL Pens team. 

Horrible start and sloppy first. Was the change into the second the Lindy factor? idk, but they woke up. 

So McLeod Greenway and Zucker up front and Dahlin and Gilbert on the back end were the players that didn’t play that will be in the lineup this year.

I don’t see Kulich or Rousek cracking the lineup outside the Czech trip. Kulich and Rosen will get call up time during the season.

I see Krebs as the extra forward and Bryson and Gilbert as 7th and 8th dman.

Inthought Bryson picked up tonight where he left off last year looking smart and fast with the puck on his stick.

Edited by Flashsabre

10 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

So McLeod Greenway and Zucker up front and Dahlin and Gilbert on the back end were the players that didn’t play that will be in the lineup this year.

I don’t see Kulich or Rousek cracking the lineup outside the Czech trip. Kulich and Rosen will get call up time during the season.

I see Krebs as the extra forward and Bryson and Gilbert as 7th and 8th dman.

Inthought Bryson picked up tonight where he left off last year looking smart and fast with the puck on his stick.

Gilbert will not be in the lineup unless there are injuries.

Dahlin

Byram

Power

Muel

Joker

Clifton

Johnson

12 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I thought Bryson picked up tonight where he left off last year looking smart and fast with the puck on his stick.

I really think Bryson is a better Dman that this forum gives him credit for.  The Sabres do have a lot of high-end D and sure, that overshadows Bryson and his talents, but he is NHL level.

I also think RJohnson will work his way into the lineup this season as well.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Good game. Malenstyn, Kubel, and Lafferty are the Sabre version of the Jims from Shoresy. Absolutely love that line.

Line 1: Tuch seemed like a non factor. TT and Peterka played well. Peterka has a sniper’s shot and good offensive awareness. TT has creativity and vision and a rocket.

Line 2: Quinn was ok. Cozens scored but seems to not embrace a particular style of play. Maybe hasn’t figured out what type of player he is yet. Benson showed he has awareness and stick checking above his experience. He’s more composed and seems to process what is happening better.

Line 3: Krebs was unnoticeable. Rousek and Kulich are not NHL players yet.

Line 4: Physical, showed offensive capability. Malenstyn and Lafferty can play middle six if injuries require.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

So McLeod Greenway and Zucker up front and Dahlin and Gilbert

3rd line, Dahlin not Bryson, Gilbert has an outside shot to beat out Bryson for 7th D.

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Line 3: Krebs was unnoticeable. Rousek and Kulich are not NHL players yet.

Krebs will be 13th forward. Kulich and Rousek  first call ups. 

You take tonight's line up but swap the entire 3rd line as above and insert Dahlin and that's it. Defensive pairings still to be determined, otherwise I think it's set. 

• Like (+1) 1

Benson really impressed me tonight. I know it was an NHL team against an AHL team, but i really liked Benson’s non-stop approach.  We have been waiting to find our Marchand, and I think we have, but without the cheap shots.  

He put up 30 points last year, but his around the net game coupled with playing with better players may allow him to make as big, if not bigger jump in production than JJP and Quinn did last year.