Around the NHL: 2024-2025 Season

That Aud Smell

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

Doesn’t look good for sure.  Then again, I recall a Sabres game a while back where Jeff Skinner looked like he hurt his knee and I feared he would be out for a while….but to my surprise he came back that same game.  I’ve learned not to trust my ability to judge injuries.

Pretty sure the game you're referring to was one of our 1st (maybe THE 1st) Sabrespace meet ups.  It looked like he'd be out a long time but wasn't.  Though his play definitely slipped for a few weeks after that injury.

Sabres just dodged a bullet.  Puck was loose in front of the Sabres crease with Ratzlaff down but the BJ couldn't find the handle.  Puck ended up going wide as Ratzlaff dove back desperately.

The Lehner saga takes another turn. 

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/goldenknights/robin-lehner-assets-frozen-amid-allegations-of-frivolous-spending-3178446/

“A filing in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Las Vegas by attorneys representing creditor Aliya Growth Fund claims the company is worried it won’t receive the nearly $4.8 million Lehner and his wife, Donya Lehner, owe it because they have been transferring money from their bank accounts to non-creditors, including shell companies with apparent Dubai ties.

The filing also claims the Lehners spent $1.5 million on gambling, vacations and luxury purchases following the couple’s bankruptcy filing in December 2022.”

4 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/goldenknights/robin-lehner-assets-frozen-amid-allegations-of-frivolous-spending-3178446/

“A filing in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Las Vegas by attorneys representing creditor Aliya Growth Fund claims the company is worried it won’t receive the nearly $4.8 million Lehner and his wife, Donya Lehner, owe it because they have been transferring money from their bank accounts to non-creditors, including shell companies with apparent Dubai ties.

The filing also claims the Lehners spent $1.5 million on gambling, vacations and luxury purchases following the couple’s bankruptcy filing in December 2022.”

Frankly it went from annoying to sad to inspiring to confusing and now just sad again.

• Like (+1) 3

On 9/27/2024 at 8:07 AM, LGR4GM said:

Who even are Bostons top 6? 

McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Zadorov, Peeke, Lohrei

... man, looking over Bostons roster, it's not great. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Good and bad news on your can Sabres pass the Bruins this year news. Good news, Bruins as a team were not very good again. Bad news, Korpisalo was the best Bruin tonight. He was actually impressive. 

Michkov is just, WOW. He might be better than Bedard. 

Dahlin and McAvoy are a wash but I think Dahlin is better. 

Lindholm and Power... probably Lindholm until power proves otherwise

Carlo and Byram, they are different but Carlo is better def and Byram better offense. Carlo though is better. 

Zadorov and Samuelsson, I'll go Samuelsson because he's better defensively 

Peeke and Jokiharju... uhhh idk Peeke unless joki plays at his peak

Clifton and Lohrei, edge Clifton but I've not seen enough lohrei

Talent wise, Buffalo has more offensive talent in their defense but Boston, has better defense. Boston 100% gets the benefit of the doubt until Buffalo proves otherwise. I think Buffalo has more depth. Boston has a far better system to this point so we shall see. 

Buffalo's issue last year wasn't defense per say but forwards being trash at their assignments. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

No surprise that a story of financial woo includes something about gambling.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Carlo and Byram, they are different but Carlo is better def and Byram better offense. Carlo though is better. 

Talent wise, Buffalo has more offensive talent in their defense but Boston, has better defense. Boston 100% gets the benefit of the doubt until Buffalo proves otherwise. I think Buffalo has more depth. Boston has a far better system to this point so we shall see. 

Buffalo's issue last year wasn't defense per say but forwards being trash at their assignments. 

I want to see our new bottom six and how they play against Boston, or anyone really. NAK and his line mates might give some teams absolute nightmares. We are going to be way more physical of a team than in years past. That is going to make us such a better team.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I want to see our new bottom six and how they play against Boston, or anyone really. NAK and his line mates might give some teams absolute nightmares. We are going to be way more physical of a team than in years past. That is going to make us such a better team.

That's gonna be interesting. Wish buffalo's margin of error was higher but nothing to do now. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

In no world is Peeke better than Joker.

Talent wise Buffalo’s D corps is better but Boston play within a structured system that makes their D corps very effective.

If Lindy can implement a similar type system I think Sabres surprise a ton of people this season.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Being physical yes. I agree and I'd like to see how they match up against most teams.

The thing with Boston is, they should be able to handle the speed. A lot of people seem to think Boston is slow. They aren't. They don't have any burners (Maybe Beecher is), but up front, Lindholm, Jones, and Frederic are pretty fast, Pastrnak is above average, and they don't really have anyone 'slow'. (maybe Poitras and Brazeau are slow, but they aren't going to be getting bit minutes.)

Overall in terms of skating speed they are above average, and I think you can say based on their forcheck, they put the effort in.

Toronto, that is the team that will be interesting to see play against this Sabres team.  The Leafs to me do well whey  they can 'out talent' you and you don't make them skate. But put them against younger team with Raw talent that just push and push and push and Toronto doesn't like that, and almost shuts down in games like that. That is the matchup that will be fun to watch.

Edited by mjd1001

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Being physical yes. I agree and I'd like to see how they match up against most teams.

The thing with Boston is, they should be able to handle the speed. A lot of people seem to think Boston is slow. They aren't. They don't have any burners (Maybe Beecher is), but up front, Lindholm, Jones, and Frederic are pretty fast, Pastrnak is above average, and they don't really have anyone 'slow'. (maybe Poitras and Brazeau are slow, but they aren't going to be getting bit minutes.)

Overall in terms of skating speed they are above average, and I think you can say based on their forcheck, they put the effort in.

Toronto, that is the team that will be interesting to see play against this Sabres team.  The Leafs to me do well whey  they can 'out talent' you and you don't make them skate. But put them against younger team with Raw talent that just push and push and push and Toronto doesn't like that, and almost shuts down in games like that. That is the matchup that will be fun to watch.

I'm really interested in seeing how the Sabres newfound speed manifests itself on the ice

NHL edge stats (top speed/bursts over 20 mph) as a league percentile

• Peterka 59/92 Thompson 82/74 Tuch 85/77 vs Knies >50/69 Matthews 60/76 Marner >50/>50
  • Benson >50/>50 Cozens 85/78 Quinn >50/>50 vs McMann 95/84 Nylander 54/84 Domi 64/74
  • Zucker >50/>50 McLeod 97/99 Greenway >50/>50 vs Paccioretty >50/>50 Tavares 56/73 Holmberg 63/69
  • Malenstyn 97/97 Lafferty 93/96 Aube-Kubel 94/93 vs Lorentz 60/>50 Kampf 70/67 Reaves 52/>50
  • Dahlin >50/>50  Jokiharju >50/>50 vs Reilly 70/69 Tanev >50/>50
  • Byram 86/>50 Power >50/>50 vs McCabe >50/>50 Ekman-Larsson 83/>50
  • Samuelsson 59/>50 Clifton >50/>50 vs Benoit 66/>50 Liljegren >50/>50

Last year's Leafs had average team speed, the Sabres below average.

One thing to consider is how fast the players are and how fast a team plays are not necessarily the same thing.

Edited by dudacek

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'm really interested in seeing how the Sabres newfound speed manifests itself on the ice

NHL edge stats (top speed/bursts over 20 mph) as a league percentile

• Peterka 59/92 Thompson 82/74 Tuch 85/77 vs Knies >50/69 Matthews 60/76 Marner >50/>50
  • Benson >50/>50 Cozens 85/78 Quinn >50/>50 vs McMann 95/84 Nylander 54/84 Domi 64/74
  • Zucker >50/>50 McLeod 97/99 Greenway >50/>50 vs Paccioretty >50/>50 Tavares 56/73 Holmberg 63/69
  • Malenstyn 97/97 Lafferty 67/69 Aube-Kubel 80/>50 vs Lorentz 60/>50 Kampf 70/67 Reaves 52/>50
  • Dahlin >50/>50  Jokiharju >50/>50 vs Reilly 70/69 Tanev >50/>50
  • Byram 86/>50 Power >50/>50 vs McCabe >50/>50 Ekman-Larsson 83/>50
  • Samuelsson 59/>50 Clifton >50/>50 vs Benoit 66/>50 Liljegren >50/>50

Last year's Leafs had average team speed, the Sabres below average.

One thing to consider is how fast the players are and how fast a team plays are not necessarily the same thing.

Lafferty I remember as being very fast, and when I looked up his numbers he is show as 93/96, not 67/69?

Also Aube-Kubel I see as 94/93, not 80/50

sl.jpg

nak.jpg

Edited by mjd1001

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Lafferty I remember as being very fast, and when I looked up his numbers he is show as 93/96, not 67/69?

Also Aube-Kubel I see as 94/93, not 80/50

sl.jpg

nak.jpg

Ok that's weird, because when grabbed those numbers, I was surprised, because I remembered them as better as well.

Not sure what I did wrong,

Edit: Figured it out. The numbers I posted were from the playoffs, not the regular season. Will adjust my earlier post.

Edited by dudacek

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd basically agree with that but I'd be comparing Lohrei to Jokiharju and Clifton to Peeke. 

Lohrei has a huge upside and is getting better every game. Right now he's actually as good or maybe even better than Power. Power should be better eventually but Lohrei is good. Definitely better than Jokiharju in time (if not already).

Clifton is a better skater than Peeke but Peeke is a better shot blocker. Peeke makes less mistakes but also little offense. Call it even.

Zadorov Samuelsson would be the biggest disagreement but time will tell. How Zadorov does in the Bruins system remains to be seen but he can be the bigger impact player. 

Definitely agree that forwards being trash defensively was Sabres biggest problem however. We agree on that fully. 

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'd basically agree with that but I'd be comparing Lohrei to Jokiharju and Clifton to Peeke. 

Lohrei has a huge upside and is getting better every game. Right now he's actually as good or maybe even better than Power. Power should be better eventually but Lohrei is good. Definitely better than Jokiharju in time (if not already).

Clifton is a better skater than Peeke but Peeke is a better shot blocker. Peeke makes less mistakes but also little offense. Call it even.

Zadorov Samuelsson would be the biggest disagreement but time will tell. How Zadorov does in the Bruins system remains to be seen but he can be the bigger impact player. 

Definitely agree that forwards being trash defensively was Sabres biggest problem however. We agree on that fully. 

Following this through another step, I think the Bruins have the best defence corps in the division and one of the best in the league.

The thought that the Sabres are some growth from a pair of 160-game defencemen picked in the top 5 of the NHL draft away from being comparable in your mind is something to think about.

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Highly doubt you can say that about a guy with 41 games to his NHL resume. Power is better than Lohrei until Lohrei proves otherwise over a full season. 

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Lohrei is better than Power at what exactly? Sounds like a lot of bias seeping in

Statistically, there is literally not a single thing, counting stats, eye test or analytically, but you're not accounting for the Buffalo tariff and the Boston tax

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Following this through another step, I think the Bruins have the best defence corps in the division and one of the best in the league.

The thought that the Sabres are some growth from a pair of 160-game defencemen picked in the top 5 of the NHL draft away from being comparable in your mind is something to think about.

I'm not sure what you mean in the second sentence but Power still has a lot of possible upside. Otherwise, Sabres D has great offensive potential but defensive ability is questionable.