Around the NHL: 2024-2025 Season

That Aud Smell

14 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Pretty interesting article on the Swayman saga in Boston. The Don Sweeney clip they added is good, too. Sure hope this doesn't go well for the B's 

https://insidetherink.com/is-jeremy-swaymans-reputation-in-jeopardy/

There's a feeling of betrayal there. Swayman told them he loved it there and wanted to be a lifer and their #1 so they committed to him with the Ullmark trade. Then Swayman (or his agent) used that as leverage. Upper management seems angry and they might have even pulled an earlier offer as a result. They're digging in and unless something changes ultimately Swayman will be traded. 

So yes, they've downgraded in goal and there might be an opportunity for them to fall and for teams to pass them. Maybe. The D is pretty darn good though so maybe mediocre goaltending is still enough. Hard to say. 

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

There's a feeling of betrayal there. Swayman told them he loved it there and wanted to be a lifer and their #1 so they committed to him with the Ullmark trade. Then Swayman (or his agent) used that as leverage. Upper management seems angry and they might have even pulled an earlier offer as a result. They're digging in and unless something changes ultimately Swayman will be traded. 

So yes, they've downgraded in goal and there might be an opportunity for them to fall and for teams to pass them. Maybe. The D is pretty darn good though so maybe mediocre goaltending is still enough. Hard to say. 

Since it is the Bruins, I anticipate at least 100 points in the standings, with Korpisalo, and whoever the other guy is, having an award-level season. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

Swayman is risking a lifetime of being beloved by the Bruins fanbase over his greed. Would it be worth it to not be invited to Bruins alumni events for the rest of your days?

lol. i remember a time when this line of thought was essentially a consensus among fans.

not anymore. not for me.

get yo bag, swayman. and f*ck the jacobs family.

• Like (+1) 1

The Swayman thing is interesting. 

I follow the Bruins more than any team other than the Sabres and Leafs (used to live near Boston for a few years, have friends there, my company is still located there, etc.) and no one knows for sure what is going on.  Some say the Bruins gave him an offer and pulled it after Swayman and his agent demanded a lot more. Others say the offer the Bruins gave him was 'comically low' for him (about $6m per year).Some say this is just posturing and Swayman will sign a day or two before the regular season starts for the best offer he has.

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

The Swayman thing is interesting. 

I follow the Bruins more than any team other than the Sabres and Leafs (used to live near Boston for a few years, have friends there, my company is still located there, etc.) and no one knows for sure what is going on.  Some say the Bruins gave him an offer and pulled it after Swayman and his agent demanded a lot more. Others say the offer the Bruins gave him was 'comically low' for him (about $6m per year).Some say this is just posturing and Swayman will sign a day or two before the regular season starts for the best offer he has.

I feel like all of those things can be true at the same time. 

Not sure where else to put this but listened to Donnie G on NHL Radio XM this morning.  He's going to have a regular show on Tuesday mornings - not sure if he's hosting or will be a contributor to the existing morning show in a fixed time slot.  Most interesting part of the interview is when he described a typical day in Buffalo as HC.  A lot less on ice coaching than I could have imagined.  Sounded too much administration to me but he described that as typical of today's NHL.  No surprise but he's very much into the soft skills / human relations side of hockey - the Ying to a guy like Tort's Yang. 

Was preceded on the show by Bill Zito and they're good friends and highly respectful of each other.  Lives in Buffalo and won't move until he finds an opportunity   elsewhere.  

Not related to any league news right now but I thought this was interesting:

From 1988-1998 (11 seasons), the Stanley cup was won in a 4-0 sweep 6 of the 11 years.  Yeah, the cap wasn't there, but it wasn't always the same team, Only Detroit won it 2 times that way, the other 4 times were 4 different teams. (Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, and Edmonton)

Since 1998, we have gone 25 seasons in a row with no sweep in the final.  Tampa won it back to back. Chicago was good enough to win it 3 times in 6 seasons...but not one single sweep.

Edited by mjd1001

15 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Not related to any league news right now but I thought this was interesting:

From 1988-1998 (11 seasons), the Stanley cup was won in a 4-0l sweep 6 of the 11 years.  Yeah, the cap wasn't there, but it wasn't always the same team, Only Detroit won it 2 times that way, the other 4 times were 4 different teams. (Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, and Edmonton)

Since 1998, we have gone 25 seasons in a row with no sweep in the final.  Tampa won it back to back. Chicago was good enough to win it 3 times in 6 seasons...but not one single sweep.

Somewhere, Bettman is yelling "Parity!" at a TV screen projecting the Phoenix skyline.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yikes.  That could've blown all 3 of the ligaments in that left knee.  Hopefully it was just worse than it looks, because it looks REAL bad.

Doesn’t look good for sure.  Then again, I recall a Sabres game a while back where Jeff Skinner looked like he hurt his knee and I feared he would be out for a while….but to my surprise he came back that same game.  I’ve learned not to trust my ability to judge injuries.

• Agree 1