Around the NHL: 2024-2025 Season

That Aud Smell

8 hours ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Sabrespace: "Look! only one point out! and we're behind Team A and Team B, so when we remember how to hockey, it is playoff city!"

TeamA-space: "Panic! we are only 1 point ahead of the sabres! Oh, but they super suck, so we'll leave them in the dust once we figure it out"

Thirteen years of empirical evidence suggests TeamA-space is far more likely to be correct.

I was listening to 590 out of Toronto this morning sometime between 6-7am, and they brought up the Sabres.

I'm paraphrasing here, but the conversatation between hosts went something like this:

-Look at the top of the Atlantic standings, its Florida, Boston, Tampa, Toronto...so much for the changing of the guard

-The Sabres are just awful. Sabres fans laugh at Toronto for bringing in old Vets, but look at how the youth are doing there.

-its like Lord of the Flies with the Sabres, they left the team to the young guys and you have Dahlin fighting with teammates in practice.

Something very close to that. Needless to say, the media, and the fans in Toronto have close to zero respect for Buffalo and don't consider then any kind of threat at all.

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Needless to say, the media, and the fans in Toronto have close to zero respect for Buffalo and don't consider then any kind of threat at all.

I mean ... would you? lol

We tried to bring in vets ... E Johnson with his stanley cup pedigree ... all the way back to Gionta. Something just ain't right ...

17 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I was listening to 590 out of Toronto this morning sometime between 6-7am, and they brought up the Sabres.

I'm paraphrasing here, but the conversatation between hosts went something like this:

-Look at the top of the Atlantic standings, its Florida, Boston, Tampa, Toronto...so much for the changing of the guard

-The Sabres are just awful. Sabres fans laugh at Toronto for bringing in old Vets, but look at how the youth are doing there.

-its like Lord of the Flies with the Sabres, they left the team to the young guys and you have Dahlin fighting with teammates in practice.

Something very close to that. Needless to say, the media, and the fans in Toronto have close to zero respect for Buffalo and don't consider then any kind of threat at all.

The Sabres are the anti-Bills. Just as everyone should assume the Bills will win the division until they don’t, everyone should assume the Sabres won’t make the playoffs until they do. 

When the Bills were the anti-Sabres, this mindset took absolutely nothing away from making the playoffs against the Jags. 

I understand why they get made, but I think the constant Bills comparisons are pointless. Bills get so much praise but really, where would they be without one star QB? Middle of the pack at best and while they might still beat the Jets (because the Jets are the Sabres) the "team" is not all that special. 

There's no one guy in hockey that can make as much difference as a star QB. Maybe a Hasek level goalie but that's about it and that's rare. Even a McDavid doesn't get you a cup without a full team around him. 

Sabres aren't the anti-Bills, but they are a soft team with no culture of winning or hard work and competitiveness and as I've been saying for years here until they fix that culture it won't matter who is on the roster. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Funny how the Leafs have so much trouble beating the Sabres every year isn't it?

5 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

Funny how the Leafs have so much trouble beating the Sabres every year isn't it?

It is interesting to see if Berube will turn them into a 2 way team this year or not. Those big name Leafs love to play loose and wide open hockey and the Sabres teams have flourished in that so yes, we beat them at that type of game, several times. Trouble is most teams don't play that way.

On a side note Zemgus scrapping tonight with Domi. He seems to have a new energy as well. 

Lots of games tonight, lots of surprises so far:

Buffalo over Dallas....Bruins getting shut out by the Preds...Sens being outshot 23 to 10 but being up 4-0....Lightning with 8 more goals...Panthers blown out 5-1 to Minnesota....Columbus wiping the floor with Toronto 6-2 with almost 40 shots...

How about Washington winning 4 of their first 5 games. I have no idea how they do it with that roster.

At least you can't say the NHL is too predictable in the early season.

Edited by mjd1001