Around the NHL: 2024-2025 Season

That Aud Smell

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Brutal watching Olofsson score 2 and Mittlestadt got 1 also. It's mind blowing to me and a bit sad.

I'll see how good Olofsson looks in person tomorrow night as I'll be at the VGK vs. Blues game.  Sometimes work trips allow for some fun to be had.

• Like (+1) 4

13 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Well, the Leafs are better than the Sabres, but might be just as frustrating for some fans:

-Matthews, $13.25m per year, multiple time 60+ goal scorer

-Nylander, $11.5m per year, 2 points shy of 100 last season

-Tavares, $11.0 m per year

-Marner, $10.9m per year

What does that get you in terms of exciting, high powered hockey?

-haven't scored more than 2 goals in the last 6 games

-3 wins in the last 12 games (non preseason)

-Playoffs last year and first game this year,  12 total goals in last 8 games (1.5 goals per game)

-12 games in a row since they won a game in which they scored more than 3 goals.

Apparently, the ability to torpedo the results of 12 games rather than 12 years 

Just now, Thorner said:

Apparently, the ability to torpedo the results of 12 games rather than 12 years 

When you are paying that much for your top guys....and to me I watch this sport as much for entertainment in terms of pure winning....12 games like that is noticable.  Expecaily for Leaf fans who are paying multiple times what Sabres fans pay to go to a game.  Getting shutout, no big deal. A 2, 3, or even 4 game stretch where the offense goeas away, acceptable. But for the Leafs....with their expectations, that is a noticable LONG stretch of boring-ish hockey.

So the guy we had “no room for”, in Olofsson, owing to our air-tight forward ranks looks good on another team? Shocked, i say

On 7/3/2024 at 6:27 PM, Thorner said:

and yes, I wouldn’t play VO on line 4 but I’m the guy defending him on this site: he was good every season before last. His first 4 in the nhl he was good. He’s actually got a solid track record and definitely has a place on a competently built team 

He doesn’t make as good of a 4th liner (that’s why, if you see, I made a reference to “fit” in my post) but as a base asset yes I believe there’s more to be gotten out of Olofsson than Sam freaking Lafferty. His metrics were terrible. Honestly an “=“ there was generous. Yes, I get new guy = good guy buy shiny new toy syndrome ususlly wears off. They all have flaws

Edited by Thorner
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorner said:

So the guy we had “no room for”, in Olofsson, owing to our air-tight forward ranks looks good on another team? Shocked, i say

It seems like there is a Skinner or VO on just about every playoff team. The difference is that those teams seem to "magically" figure out how to maximize their good and minimize their bad. 

I think we'll see that VO's defense is not SO BAD that he should never see the ice in Vegas. It just means we did not have the talent and/or system to be able to put him in a position to succeed.

I understand the importance of team chemistry - but if/when Skinner is not deemed to be a "locker room cancer" or "bad example" in EDM, the Sabres should take a pause and try to figure out if that is just a fairy tale we tell ourselves to help cover up something else.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

I was at the game last night and the preseason games here in Vegas and Victor Olofsson has been playing hard. He looks different than when he was in Buffalo, but in all honesty we have 3 head coaches behind our bench. Plus we have an owner that wants a winning team every season. It seems like once players leave Buffalo they shine in whatever role they are in on their new teams. We all know that Victor can shoot but from what I seen he has been very good in the defensive end on the third line. Even Holtz from the Devils has been good. Sometimes a change of scenery and better coaching puts players in places to succeed. Bruce Cassidy is a great coach and even DeBoer and Gallant were really good. 

3 hours ago, LTS said:

I'll see how good Olofsson looks in person tomorrow night as I'll be at the VGK vs. Blues game.  Sometimes work trips allow for some fun to be had.

I liked his first game battled behind the net, sharp angel shot too , Georgiev looked bad on that but not many snipe that goal.

As much as I am frustrated that we are 0-3, I believe this team is better then this. Will they be a playoff team? Nope, do not think so. Could they be? Maybe,  but they all need to grow up.  They are starting the season with some bad breaks.  Dahlin is still not 100%, no JJ, Benson most likely still hurting,  and still missing a 3rd liner for another month.  Their PK looked amazing last night,  and if not for some serious bad Puck luck and a lucky minder, we would have won by 2 or 3. Was their bad play? Yep and everyone cost us.  I would hope Lindy gets them straight. Tomorrow will be a rough test, even without Barkov. End of the world is not near for the Sabres. In a month I will revisit.  Will always be go Sabres though!!! 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

As much as I am frustrated that we are 0-3, I believe this team is better then this. Will they be a playoff team? Nope, do not think so. Could they be? Maybe,  but they all need to grow up.  They are starting the season with some bad breaks.  Dahlin is still not 100%, no JJ, Benson most likely still hurting,  and still missing a 3rd liner for another month.  Their PK looked amazing last night,  and if not for some serious bad Puck luck and a lucky minder, we would have won by 2 or 3. Was their bad play? Yep and everyone cost us.  I would hope Lindy gets them straight. Tomorrow will be a rough test, even without Barkov. End of the world is not near for the Sabres. In a month I will revisit.  Will always be go Sabres though!!! 

They are what they are, which based on the first 3 games 9f this season, are in point of fact, not "better than this". If they were the results would show it.

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Edmonton starts the season with 3 straight losses. Maybe the "jeff Skinner will finally make the playoffs" thoughts were premature. 

IF they somehow don't manage to write that ship, he needs to be a Toronto ML next year, STAT!

(They obviously almost definitely will right the ship; but it is kind of fun to think they won't.)

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Doohicksie said:

...and yet....

And yet we faced a beat up team and didn’t face 3 of their top 4 players and got some cheesers on a rookie goalie. That wasn’t  real Panthers. 

Edited by Gatorman0519