Sabres Training Camp Thread

Brawndo

11 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Also initially read this as saying that B0ner was out there wearing a Sabres #11.

Same here. No one got the memo that the depth chart goes from #10 and skips straight to 12. 

Edited by shrader
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

The standings around American Thanksgiving are overwhelmingly predictive of which NHL teams will make the playoffs.

This is both true and a bit misleading. It’s true in the sense that, by a wide margin, the majority of teams that are in a playoff position on American Thanksgiving will hold on and actually be in the playoffs. Last year it was 13 of 16 teams. What’s misleading about it, in my view, is that the vast majority of the teams in a playoff spot on American Thanksgiving who held on for an actual playoff spot, were predicted from the onset to be in the playoffs. In other words, there was no need to wait until American Thanksgiving to say these teams will be in the playoffs, you could reasonably make the prediction on July 1st. 

Barring an unexpected meteoric rise of a team like Buffalo or Ottawa or Detroit, or an unexpected collapse of a team like Boston, Toronto or Carolina, the reality is that there will be 3 to 6 teams competing for the last 1 or 2 spots. If you are one of those teams and you haven’t fallen way out of the race by Thanksgiving, then you still have a chance, because the teams you are chasing aren’t that great either. This is why the Islanders caught Detroit last year (with Philly and Pittsburgh holding the last spot at times) and why Edmonton and Nashville caught Seattle and St. Louis. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Happy to hear Lindy singling out Byram as the best player on the ice during today’s scrimmage.

Other interesting remarks to me:

Praise for both Benson and Zucker that reinforced the early trend of Zach on the 2nd line and Jason on line 3. Basically said Zucker understands his role isn’t going to be as big and is bringing it in the role he’s been given; and said Benson just gets it, calls him a special player and said he’s already figuring out how to score in the NHL.

Krebs’ role will ‘sort itself out’. Likes his work ethic but then started talking about puck decisions and Krebs being in a group that tries to do too much in areas where they shouldn’t.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/lindy-ruff-after-scrimmage-6362219642112

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4

On 9/19/2024 at 1:33 PM, PASabreFan said:

Practicing your mounting and dismounting from a high horse? It's OK. It's camp for us, too.

I had a lot of words I could use to respond to this, but all it deserves is :eyeroll:

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'll take what I can get.

Watching and listening to elder Lindy do the Q&A at a press conference makes me happy.

Yeah, I mean, I was smitten. Not that it brings on fits of nostalgia, rather, I just like the guy and he's like Mr. Hockey.

8 minutes ago, NAF said:

I'm worried that second line will get caved in defensively and pushed around physically. This is a big year for Cozens to show he can be a true 2C.

Most definitely. How Cozens is this year will be a big part of how well this team can do. If he is the same as last year we are in trouble. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NAF said:

I'm worried that second line will get caved in defensively and pushed around physically. This is a big year for Cozens to show he can be a true 2C.

Incredibly unscientific, small sample size, but I’m pretty sure this is the line that finished the season playing together.

Over the month of April (7 games), they went

• Quinn 4/3/7 +3 52.2% Corsi
  • Benson 2/5/7 +1 55.2% 
  • Cozens 3/2/5 +3 53.8%

They were 3 of the team’s top 6 scorers and 3 of its top 5 possession players.

In short, they were pretty good.

The team beat Washington twice, Philly and TAmpa, lost to Dallas, Detroit and Florida in OT

1 hour ago, NAF said:

I'm not. That might be the best line defensively and good luck pushing it around physically. Might not be the biggest but Quinn and Benson have a lot of IQ mixed with their grit. 

49 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm not. That might be the best line defensively and good luck pushing it around physically. Might not be the biggest but Quinn and Benson have a lot of IQ mixed with their grit. 

I suppose it depends on who they get line matched against. If they get line matched against a heavy 3rd/4th line I'd be a bit concerned.

1 hour ago, NAF said:

I suppose it depends on who they get line matched against. If they get line matched against a heavy 3rd/4th line I'd be a bit concerned.

Maybe. But we may also be daring the opposition to put out a heavy 3rd/4th line for them to feast upon.

Their average draft position is #9.3333, and you could argue that each and every one of them should have been drafted higher.

1 minute ago, RochesterExpat said:

I feel like Byram had culture shock leaving Colorado and coming to Buffalo. I know people have beat the dead horse about the coaching change in Buffalo, but I never really thought about his potential influence on Byram. This might be a good fit for him. 

Byram had been good in every stop except Buffalo.  And he was good here for about a week before he got a chance to get a few practices under his belt.  Expecting him to have a much better season than he had after that 1st week in town.

• Like (+1) 2