Sabres Training Camp Thread

Brawndo

11 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

There are people on this site who get hurt reaching up into a cabinet for a salt shaker. 

There are people on this site who get hurt when someone disagrees with them. They didn't have to reach for the salt.

It's all chasms and mountains for some people. 

Anyway.. glad Ruff is preaching discipline and attention to detail. Imagine.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Looking at it another way.... If Dahlin is going to be injured, I'd rather see it early in camp.  It gives him more time to recover without the pressure to play, and it gives the team ample practice with the remaining players to adjust to different roles.

If anyone on this team can survive missing a few days of the on-ice portion of training camp it's Dahlin.

Had Dahlin played through it today and then two months from now he's out indefinitely "from an injury during camp", what would people here be saying?

For all we know he had a laparoscopic appendectomy a few weeks ago and one of the incisions opened up.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s Greener’s birthday. 

Whoops sorry it’s Greener’s world. Check that; world.

QUINNER’s birthday 

My mistake. still on an emotional high after seeing Dahlinerr is gonna be ok 

It's "Dahls". Geez, keep up.

Valley Girl Hair Flip GIF by Freedomists

• Haha (+1) 1

I found it interesting that Paul Hamilton was talking on the radio about the step up in practice intensity from Barf Kruger to Donny G to Ruff and each time it was a major improvement. He talked about how Ruff was calling plays dead that were offsides, calling penalties that would cut it in a game, and genuinely expecting the team to practice how it played. Specifically called out Granato for allowing plays to go offsides at practice and for lazy penalties to happen with no care at all. Just interesting to hear from someone who watches practices. Does it mean anything? Not unless they win. 

• Like (+1) 4

50 minutes ago, LTS said:

There are people on this site who get hurt when someone disagrees with them. They didn't have to reach for the salt.

It's all chasms and mountains for some people. 

Anyway.. glad Ruff is preaching discipline and attention to detail. Imagine.

Practicing your mounting and dismounting from a high horse? It's OK. It's camp for us, too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I haven’t played on a ton of hockey teams, nor have I played in the NHL, but I don’t know of any hockey player who looks at on-ice pushups as a punishment. It’s a corrective action only in that it looks like one. Skate ‘em hard, and none of this wall to wall stuff. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I found it interesting that Paul Hamilton was talking on the radio about the step up in practice intensity from Barf Kruger to Donny G to Ruff and each time it was a major improvement. He talked about how Ruff was calling plays dead that were offsides, calling penalties that would cut it in a game, and genuinely expecting the team to practice how it played. Specifically called out Granato for allowing plays to go offsides at practice and for lazy penalties to happen with no care at all. Just interesting to hear from someone who watches practices. Does it mean anything? Not unless they win. 

Part of why they got rid of Skinner. Discipline. 

22 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I haven’t played on a ton of hockey teams, nor have I played in the NHL, but I don’t know of any hockey player who looks at on-ice pushups as a punishment. It’s a corrective action only in that it looks like one. Skate ‘em hard, and none of this wall to wall stuff. 

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

I think it’s more the idea than the actual push-ups. The idea that you’re effectively being punished like a child has a strong connection their youth hockey days. It also scales with the length of the practice. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Begs to question what the team even did with Krueger at practice. Granato definitely had a more tempo and teaching style to his practices while Ruff is hammering them into a Sabre ready to wield in battle through a combo of physical activity, tempo and a nigh zero tolerance to dumb mistakes.

Were they just doing the hockey equivalent to NFL walkthroughs?