Sabres Training Camp Thread

Brawndo

I’m worried about it. Why wouldn’t I be? He’s our best player and it could be anything. Sure, it could be precautionary, but we could also be in a situation where we *weren’t* debating the injury status of our MVP on literal day 1 of camp. It could be better 

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Positive spin zone on Dahlin looking "pissed" as he watched from the tunnel: Maybe he feels/thinks he's well enough to return to training, but team doctors/trainers are keeping him out as a precaution.

Have to hope 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m worried about it. Why wouldn’t I be? He’s our best player and it could be anything. Sure, it could be precautionary, but we could also be in a situation where we *weren’t* debating the injury status of our MVP on literal day 1 of camp. It could be better 

Have to hope 

It's right to have concern. This team, heck, this franchise, needs a good start to the season. If nothing else, having Dahlin available to practice in Ruff's system and style, get up to game speed before the season, etc., is important.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:
  • Because so far he's missed no game action.
  • Worrying on your part doesn't affect the outcome.
  • There's no indication that it is a long term thing.

Worry is the wrong word, of course it doesn’t affect the outcome, nothing we do does. This isn’t really about being a philosophical discussion: my point moreso is that based on only the new data we’ve been presented with (Dahlin hurt, no update) the odds of us having a lineup as good as the one projected just 48 hours ago have objectively gone down from the point of view of our current perspective. It’s poor news, now, until confirmed as not so. 

On the other hand, if Dahlin misses a handful of games at the beginning of the season and the Sabres start strong, injecting him into the lineup will give them a further boost.

If the system is strong the team with withstand a key player injury.  Look at the Bills:  Next Man Up.  The Sabres need to be the same.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Worry is the wrong word, of course it doesn’t affect the outcome, nothing we do does. This isn’t really about being a philosophical discussion: my point moreso is that based on only the new data we’ve been presented with (Dahlin hurt, no update) the odds of us having a lineup as good as the one projected just 48 hours ago have objectively gone down from the point of view of our current perspective. It’s poor news, now, until confirmed as not so. 

I suspect they just decided that they want to shut him down for a bit to make sure he's good for the start of the season.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

On the other hand, if Dahlin misses a handful of games at the beginning of the season and the Sabres start strong, injecting him into the lineup will give them a further boost.

If the system is strong the team with withstand a key player injury.  Look at the Bills:  Next Man Up.  The Sabres need to be the same.

I agree with that, certainly no excuses 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Looking at it another way.... If Dahlin is going to be injured, I'd rather see it early in camp.  It gives him more time to recover without the pressure to play, and it gives the team ample practice with the remaining players to adjust to different roles.

Good news! 

Just now, Doohickie said:

Looking at it another way.... If Dahlin is going to be injured, I'd rather see it early in camp.  It gives him more time to recover without the pressure to play, and it gives the team ample practice with the remaining players to adjust to different roles.

Injuries don’t work that way, they aren’t a binary choice 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

My point is Lindy and staff have ample window to adjust the system to his absence and give the players a chance to get lots of reps at these positions (Top Pairing, PP, PK).  I have no concern that Dahlin needs all those reps to prepare.  He might just need a game or two to adjust once he's back but he knows all that stuff and knows it well.

Just now, Doohickie said:

My point is Lindy and staff have ample window to adjust the system to his absence and give the players a chance to get lots of reps at these positions (Top Pairing, PP, PK).  I have no concern that Dahlin needs all those reps to prepare.  He might just need a game or two to adjust once he's back but he knows all that stuff and knows it well.

Hopefully it’s just a moo point now 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Actually its not a choice at all. Why would he call it a "choice," I find that logic puzzling

😇

I meant “choice” as in the scenarios we consider to be available to us/them. Dahlin getting injured now of course in no way means he’s less likely to get one later 

“I’m glad it’s now”

-we *don’t* know it’s not later, too: this news is an independent event at best

- - - 

thankfully it seems minor..but we’ve seen these things change before over time.

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

It’s Greener’s birthday. 

Whoops sorry it’s Greener’s world. Check that; world.

QUINNER’s birthday 

My mistake. still on an emotional high after seeing Dahlinerr is gonna be ok 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1