Sabres Training Camp Thread

Brawndo

12 hours ago, Doohicksie said:

I'm leaning toward no, to be honest.  If he commands 8+ mil for 8 years... He's good, but is he *that* good?

Tough call. I don't think I would pay any goalie that amount.

From 2006-2019 the highest paid goalie that won the Stanley Cup was Braden Holtby, 2019 at $6.1M.  From 2020-2024 you had Vasilevsky win twice making $9.5M and Bobrovsky win in 2024 making $10M.  I don't know that I would attribute those teams winning to the goaltending superiority, but it does support a team winning the Cup with a goalie making a high percentage contract relative to the cap.

Those teams also had very skilled skating line-ups as well.  I don't think the Sabres are there and I think their money is best spent elsewhere.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Y'all want a goalie? Have I got a guy for you...

Saw Petersen in one Flyers game and he looked dreadful. He's done. Worse than Sandstrom. 

Haven't seen Martin play but surprisingly Bruins picked up Jiri Patera from the Canucks as a possible message to Swayman's agent .

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Saw Petersen in one Flyers game and he looked dreadful. He's done. Worse than Sandstrom. 

Haven't seen Martin play but surprisingly Bruins picked up Jiri Patera from the Canucks as a possible message to Swayman's agent .

Swayman must be losing sleep over that one.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yea, he's been bad. Never did much after leaving 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Swayman must be losing sleep over that one.

lol, well I'm sure he's not, but the question now is does he actually care if he's a Bruin or not? He will obviously be paid handsomely by someone at some point but he's said he wanted to stay in Boston, loved it there, etc etc. so this might signal a breaking point for the Bruins and he has to either talk directly to them and take the 8x8 Neely referenced or it's over. I will be shocked if the Bruins go up from that offer, they might go down. It looks ugly so there's one thing in the "good for the Sabres making the playoffs" category. 

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

lol, well I'm sure he's not, but the question now is does he actually care if he's a Bruin or not? He will obviously be paid handsomely by someone at some point but he's said he wanted to stay in Boston, loved it there, etc etc. so this might signal a breaking point for the Bruins and he has to either talk directly to them and take the 8x8 Neely referenced or it's over. I will be shocked if the Bruins go up from that offer, they might go down. It looks ugly so there's one thing in the "good for the Sabres making the playoffs" category. 

Arbitration can have consequences.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

True. Swayman wanted it last year though. Careful what you wish for. He has said repeatedly he's over it but it does seem quite possible he's not been entirely honest about that. 

Except he asked for arbitration because the Bruins reported offer was incredibly low and he had no leverage with being an RFA and the team having Ullmark. I fully believe he made the right call going to arbitration. I also think he is insane not taking the $8x8.

7 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Except he asked for arbitration because the Bruins reported offer was incredibly low and he had no leverage with being an RFA and the team having Ullmark. I fully believe he made the right call going to arbitration. I also think he is insane not taking the $8x8.

8x8 is pretty damn generous. He hasn't earned it (yet). 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, LTS said:

Tough call. I don't think I would pay any goalie that amount.

From 2006-2019 the highest paid goalie that won the Stanley Cup was Braden Holtby, 2019 at $6.1M.  From 2020-2024 you had Vasilevsky win twice making $9.5M and Bobrovsky win in 2024 making $10M.  I don't know that I would attribute those teams winning to the goaltending superiority, but it does support a team winning the Cup with a goalie making a high percentage contract relative to the cap.

Those teams also had very skilled skating line-ups as well.  I don't think the Sabres are there and I think their money is best spent elsewhere.

As good as Tampa was, I don't think they win cups without Vasilevsky, he was that good. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

28 hours away!! 🏒

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry if this was already discussed and I missed it, but the Athletic is reporting Dylan Cozens came in to camp 12 pounds heavier this year.

If he kept his speed, that’s got to help in the role he’s being asked to play.

With the additions of Lafferty and McLeod, is there a team with more size and speed up the middle than Sabres?

Not a rhetorical question: we know all 4 are over 6’2 and among the top 20 per cent of NHL skaters.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sorry if this was already discussed and I missed it, but the Athletic is reporting Dylan Cozens came in to camp 12 pounds heavier this year.

If he kept his speed, that’s got to help in the role he’s being asked to play.

With the additions of Lafferty and McLeod, is there a team with more size and speed up the middle than Sabres?

Not a rhetorical question: we know all 4 are over 6’2 and among the top 20 per cent of NHL skaters.

Yes, it depends if it's fat or muscle but let's assume it's muscle, so that's good. He needed that. Not that I want him to give up speed, but I'd be okay if he added muscle and lost a little speed (although there's no reason that has to be correlated).