Sabres Training Camp Thread

Brawndo

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Who even are Bostons top 6? 

McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Zadorov, Peeke, Lohrei

... man, looking over Bostons roster, it's not great. 

and somehow they'll still notch 100 points.

i'd written them off as dead or declining years ago. it never seems to happen.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

They lost Ullmark though which should be a concern. Also, Swayman is still not signed which is a bit surprising. I think they look solid but outside of Pastrnak and McAvoy, not overly special anywhere. 

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They lost Ullmark though which should be a concern. Also, Swayman is still not signed which is a bit surprising. I think they look solid but outside of Pastrnak and McAvoy, not overly special anywhere. 

Yeah but Boston play a team game that works for them. E Lindholm and Zadorov will fit in and they will be a good team once again. The key to beating them is scoring and getting them to come from behind as they don’t have much offensive firepower.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Yep. The key for us is not to wait for Boston and Tampa to become 85-90 point teams. We need to become a 100 point team. 

• Like (+1) 5

The thing with Boston (and Tampa and Toronto) is that they are good teams but they have an aura about being some sort of insurmountable obstacle, which simply isn’t true.

53 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It’s the inverse of the Sabres. It isn’t necessarily true, but believing it helps make it true.

The truth of sports and life is everybody dies some day.

8 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Yep. The key for us is not to wait for Boston and Tampa to become 85-90 point teams. We need to become a 100 point team. 

This, so much.

• Like (+1) 7

4 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

I doubt they even get that low. The Bruins have notched more than 100 points (and in some years considerably more) for 7 straight seasons. Their come down seems to be low to mid 90s. All the more reason to aim for 100 - we might need it either way 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I like the team spirit and hoping this road trip helps start to form winning team chemistry, and they need to be ready for NJD and get a good start. 

I have my tickets for the Kings game, the home opener.   I am coming in for Lindy and I hope the place is packed and VERY LOUD

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I like the team spirit and hoping this road trip helps start to form winning team chemistry, and they need to be ready for NJD and get a good start. 

I have my tickets for the Kings game, the home opener.   I am coming in for Lindy and I hope the place is packed and VERY LOUD

I'll be there doing my part!  Let's Go Buffalo!!

• Like (+1) 3

I took a quick peek at the league and man it seems like there are A LOT of injuries going around for the measly preseason. 

Laine, Doughty, Lindgren, Panarin, Reinbacher. Raymond and Tavares have missed games due to knee on knee incidents in the preseason and Dahlin had a scare. 

Thank goodness the Sabres are done with exhibitions/pre-season (I think). 

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I took a quick peek at the league and man it seems like there are A LOT of injuries going around for the measly preseason. 

Laine, Doughty, Lindgren, Panarin, Reinbacher. Raymond and Tavares have missed games due to knee on knee incidents in the preseason and Dahlin had a scare. 

Thank goodness the Sabres are done with exhibitions/pre-season (I think). 

The main roster is. Jr Sabres play Detroit 

19 hours ago, Doohicksie said:

star park GIF

Do you realize that Spielberg and co made this affect 44 years ago.  (Movie made in June 1980 and released June 1981).  Crazy.

@Taro T I loved how the guys looked in Germany.  Maybe its the Bills rubbing off on me or my Hoosiers at 5-0 (sad my Dawgs couldn't finish the comeback), but I'm getting exciting for the Sabres season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

In terms of forwards I agree with the assessment, but that D is pretty darn good and (although you will disagree) better than the Sabres. 

PP and PK might be a huge difference maker in a tight Atlantic, and unfortunately that might be what puts Bruins ahead of us, Detroit and Ottawa. Bruins players are excellent in those situations imo. (Haven't checked the stats)

10 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

PP and PK might be a huge difference maker in a tight Atlantic, and unfortunately that might be what puts Bruins ahead of us, Detroit and Ottawa. Bruins players are excellent in those situations imo. (Haven't checked the stats)

PK yes, PP unknown. Marchand and Lindholm are key ingredients and both are either injured or coming off surgery so if and when they both play maybe. PP really hasn't been good since Bergeron and Krejci retired. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

It's certainly what put the Lightning ahead of us.

If I remember correctly, they were top 5 in both special teams and a minus team at even strength.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 9/25/2024 at 2:40 PM, dudacek said:

Mersch was not re-signed. Prow and Murray (and Jobst?) were wearing As yesterday.

On 9/25/2024 at 1:33 PM, pastajoe said:

What happened to Amerks captain Michael Mersch? They just didn’t resign him? If so, who will be the new captain? Prow, Murray, Kulich?

"If it was just me, I’d be in Rochester in training camp right now. But my kids trumped everything that I was deciding between.”

After 244 games with the Rochester Americans Michael Mersch is calling it a career. 

https://pickinsplinters.com/2024/09/29/its-official-amerks-captain-mersch-to-announce-retirement/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3o1rPQ72Z9lvMjFTE3Ue06gsm9NMQBzTi2GtDh5yBjG_C9OQrCYfLiFRA_aem_aeNWxkDdycOXphDq0QOK_Q

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

"If it was just me, I’d be in Rochester in training camp right now. But my kids trumped everything that I was deciding between.”

After 244 games with the Rochester Americans Michael Mersch is calling it a career. 

https://pickinsplinters.com/2024/09/29/its-official-amerks-captain-mersch-to-announce-retirement/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3o1rPQ72Z9lvMjFTE3Ue06gsm9NMQBzTi2GtDh5yBjG_C9OQrCYfLiFRA_aem_aeNWxkDdycOXphDq0QOK_Q

Too bad he couldn’t get a spot with the Chicago Wolves.