Peyton Krebs signs 2 year 1.45 million AAV contract

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

I still think that there is a solid chance that he ends up being at least a Curtis Brown level player for us.

I'd be ecstatic if Krebs becomes anywhere near the defensive forward Curtis Brown was within the next two seasons.

(Fun fact: Curtis Brown received a 1st place Selke vote. Ahead of Lehtinen and Peca.)

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Thorny said:

No, it’s cringe. Its prevalence is largely a function of Stan twitter I think. I realized last year, went down a bit of a wormhole on twitter I didn’t realize existed. You know how you can find the platform flooded with like, kids who have Timothy Chalamet or Draco Malfoy or whoever as their profile pictures, and the account’s personality is centred in totality around following / promoting “staning” said celebrity..it exists with hockey players too haha. There are a world of sabres / nhl fans out there discussing how beautiful Krebs hair is and how heartwarming Jack Quinn’s smile is, etc

I suppose cringe is the wrong word, shouldn’t say that. It’s just a type of fandom I don’t feel at all akin to. I’m a “separation of art from artist” guy to a T and this is more “artist, art (results) is secondary” type stuff.

But to each their own: I’ve analyzed and talked about the Sabres social media presence a lot and it doesn’t seem that interesting to people i don’t think, maybe dudacek has picked up what I’ve thrown down a few times, but by and large…but ya: I’d wager the sabres official media does a *great* job tailoring content to these folks as that market seems to be thriving online 

No, I did not know this. Now I wish I did not know this.

Although I was aware of how people flood Discord and go well beyond what they are able to do on Twitter.  The thrill of social media is that it makes the "celebrities" approachable.. it's just like you are standing right next to them.  Ugh.

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

I prefer a roster full of Steve Buscemis

steve buscemi flirting GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Interesting comment from GMKA to ask Krebs' agent on why it took so long. Because it sure seems like the Sabres tendered the $874,125 QO, which is about 24,125 more than Krebs would've gotten from a playoff-caliber roster if he'd have been an UFA. Then, his agents waved their hands and said, "More term! More money!" And GMKA said, "Sure! How about another 600k and another year?" The only question is when did GMKA nearly double the offer.

Watch, Byram will earn about 4.2M on a QO based on numbers this season. Then, his agent will say, "More term! More money!" and it'll end up being 8x$6.8M.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Interesting comment from GMKA to ask Krebs' agent on why it took so long. Because it sure seems like the Sabres tendered the $874,125 QO, which is about 24,125 more than Krebs would've gotten from a playoff-caliber roster if he'd have been an UFA. Then, his agents waved their hands and said, "More term! More money!" And GMKA said, "Sure! How about another 600k and another year?" The only question is when did GMKA nearly double the offer.

Watch, Byram will earn about 4.2M on a QO based on numbers this season. Then, his agent will say, "More term! More money!" and it'll end up being 8x$6.8M.

I know you prefaced it otherwise, but I’m still of the mind that after this season, we’d be very happy to get Byram at that rate. 

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Adams made it sound like Krebs was the one who caved.

I know many won’t buy this because they believe Krebs sucks, but I’m sticking with my theory that Adams played the same hand he did with Thompson and Mittlestadt:

• You can take your qualifying offer and bet on yourself playing well enough to earn a big raise next summer, or
  • You can take term at a higher AAV for some security, but maybe cost yourself some money next year.

He uses his leverage to steer Krebs into term because it thinks he will be better than a $1.4M player over the term of the contract, just like Thompson was over his.

I think the fact Krebs started camp at 3C rather than as the 13th forward supports my theory, because it shows the Sabres think more highly of Krebs than you do.

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I know many won’t buy this because they believe Krebs sucks, but I’m sticking with my theory that Adams played the same hand he did with Thompson and Mittlestadt:

• You can take your qualifying offer and bet on yourself playing well enough to earn a big raise next summer, or
  • You can take term at a higher AAV for some security, but maybe cost yourself some money next year.

He uses his leverage to steer Krebs into term because it thinks he will be better than a $1.4M player over the term of the contract, just like Thompson was over his.

I think the fact Krebs started camp at 3C rather than as the 13th forward supports my theory, because it shows the Sabres think more highly of Krebs than you do.

The bolded remains to be seen. So far the results are not compelling.

A good theory otherwise.

1 hour ago, ... said:

The bolded remains to be seen. So far the results are not compelling.

A good theory otherwise.

I was talking about Thompson's 2nd contract.

Coming off a year where he got hurt and played 1 game, and with 10 career NHL goals, he signed a 3-year deal for $1.4 per.

He scored 93 goals over the 3 years of that contract. Still think it has to be the best 2nd contract in Sabres history.

Faced with a similar situation that same off-season, Mitts signed his 1-year qualifier.

Edited by dudacek

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I was talking about Thompson's 2nd contract.

Coming off a year where he got hurt and played 1 game, and with 10 career NHL goals, he signed a 3-year deal for $1.4 per.

He scored 93 goals over the 3 years of that contract. Still think it has to be the best 2nd contract in Sabres history.

Faced with a similar situation that same off-season, Mitts signed his 1-year qualifier.

The biggest difference between Mitts, Thompson and Krebs opportunity.  Because of the KA rebuild, the mess RK created and COVID, the Sabres were looking for anyone to step up and contribute and Mitts and Thompson stepped up.  Now the Sabres are pretty set in the top 6 and Krebs missed his opportunity after Mitts was traded.  Had Krebs shown any real offensive progress he'd be penciled in as the 3C and the McLeod trade wouldn't have happened. 

Instead Krebs' offense is on the decline.   In the last 3 years he's gone from .45 pts/gp to .35 pts/gp to .21 pts/gp.  

I also don't see where he fits long-term.  Kulich, Östlund and Helenius are coming.  Kulich as soon as this season.  I think all 3 will be better players than Krebs, all 3 can play center or wing, and Kulich may be better than Krebs now.  

So where does Krebs fit?  

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Definitely. Murphys law 

31 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The biggest difference between Mitts, Thompson and Krebs opportunity.  Because of the KA rebuild, the mess RK created and COVID, the Sabres were looking for anyone to step up and contribute and Mitts and Thompson stepped up.  Now the Sabres are pretty set in the top 6 and Krebs missed his opportunity after Mitts was traded.  Had Krebs shown any real offensive progress he'd be penciled in as the 3C and the McLeod trade wouldn't have happened. 

Instead Krebs' offense is on the decline.   In the last 3 years he's gone from .45 pts/gp to .35 pts/gp to .21 pts/gp.  

I also don't see where he fits long-term.  Kulich, Östlund and Helenius are coming.  Kulich as soon as this season.  I think all 3 will be better players than Krebs, all 3 can play center or wing, and Kulich may be better than Krebs now.  

So where does Krebs fit?  

First bolded: Yup. Those contracts were all about opportunity. Mittelstadt and Thompson both got 1C [Edit: Mitts was the opening day center until Gallagher hacked his wrist apart; then TNT went off all year, and Mitts got 1C time whenever TNT was out] and top 6 time to get their points on the cheaper "prove it" contracts. Barring catastrophic injuries, Krebs isn't going to get that opportunity to get stack points. And he lacks an NHL-level shot. Mitts doesn't use his often enough, but his wrist shot is very underrated. TNT has his cannon. Krebs is a pass-only threat until he proves otherwise.  (Yes, he can improve his shot, as Dahlin and others have.)

Second bolded: I think exactly where he practiced today. This year, he's battling for bottom 6 ice time; next season, there could be vacancies for Zucker, Greenway, and Aube-Kubel.

Because of the relationship to Eichel/Tuch.... My screenplay-adjacent suspicion remains that Krebs = Wedge, the unsung hero of the Rebellion. Or he's Biggs.... but  then, where's the mustache?

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So where does Krebs fit?  

3C in Lindy’s first practice.

😜

Snark aside, all your points are good ones.

I don’t know that playing 12 minutes a night for a month stapled to a pouting Jeff Skinner should be proof that he has blown his shot at 3C, but it certainly was a missed opportunity.

But I also don’t know that Ryan McLeod - who has very similar career numbers - is some sort of insurmountable obstacle to Peyton’s life in the Sabrehood.

Don Granato asked Krebs to be a 4C. 20 points, 100 hits and a 52% Corsi for are respectable numbers for an NHL 4C, especially one as young as Krebs. He did what he was asked to do. He worked hard, kept his mouth shut and he didn’t pout. For me that counts for something.

Whatever offence he had to offer - and we know something was there, looking at what he did in Rochester and Buffalo during his U21 season - was nowhere to be found last year? Why?

I see Kulich as different enough to Krebs as to almost be irrelevant, but Östlund and Helenius are different stories.

So as we wait 2 years for the latter 2 to become NHLers, where Krebs fits is as a guy who - at minimum - gets an opportunity to cement himself into the 4C role he had last year.

Or, better yet, carve himself a new, more important role under Ruff among an unproven forward group where no one should feel comfortable.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

But I also don’t know that Ryan McLeod - who has very similar career numbers - is some sort of insurmountable obstacle to Peyton’s life in the Sabrehood.

Krebs has zero chance of unseating McLeod from the 3C.  McLeod is faster, is better in the faceoff circle, unlike Krebs his offense has improved over the last 3 years and he is a proven PKer.  

Krebs does have a chance to possibly push Aube-Kubel to the bench, but I doubt that as well.  If (when?) Kulich has a good camp, Krebs could end up as the 14th forward.