Peyton Krebs signs 2 year 1.45 million AAV contract

Brawndo

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Peyton Krebs:  22 goals, 17 assists as 4C this season.

He will be top 3 among Sabres forwards in +/- this season.

A 40 point 4C would mean presidents trophy 

Maybe that’s your prediction, but just sayin’ 

12 minutes ago, ... said:

You'd be Thornyzies.

Or perhaps Thornzies.

Thorner

36 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Nah, it'd be Thorns or Thorner.

I love the system and logic associated with hockey nicknames.

I just don't generally** use them when referring to players on my favourite team.

**One exception that comes immediately to mind: Gates Orlando. "Gates" derives from "Gaetano." But everybody called him Gates.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Two or less said:

You’ll never get a player like Zucker to sign with Buffalo coming off 13 straight seasons without a playoff appearance without going over value on him. Sabres are not only paying for goals and assists, but veteran leadership and someone who can uphold a high standard at practice of playing the right way. 

I think UPL’s deal is fine, very tradeable deal if Devon Levi becomes the true #1 in the near future. 

This is very accurate.  For those of us on this board who are also Bills fans, it's not that hard to remember the Bills having to overpay for free agents during their long playoff drought.  And while more desirable for hockey players (most of whom come from colder climates and many come from Southern Ontario, near Buffalo) than for football players (many of whom come from warm climates in the South, not near Buffalo), Buffalo is still a bit of a sell.  There's a lot more to for a young, single millionaire athlete to do in a major market than there is in Buffalo, so not only do the Sabres have to pay a premium for being a bad, dysfunctional hockey club, they also have to lure guys to a smaller, cold-weather market.

If and when the team is a contender, it's a lot more attractive of a place to come and play.  Some free agents have taken less money to play for the Bills in recent years, given the success of the team and the reputation of the coach and front office for being fair and honest with the players and treating them with respect.

So in short, the Sabres overpay for guys because they have no choice.  Hopefully, they can get the franchise turned around and won't have to overpay as much in the future.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

No, it’s cringe. Its prevalence is largely a function of Stan twitter I think. I realized last year, went down a bit of a wormhole on twitter I didn’t realize existed. You know how you can find the platform flooded with like, kids who have Timothy Chalamet or Draco Malfoy or whoever as their profile pictures, and the account’s personality is centred in totality around following / promoting “staning” said celebrity..it exists with hockey players too haha. There are a world of sabres / nhl fans out there discussing how beautiful Krebs hair is and how heartwarming Jack Quinn’s smile is, etc

I suppose cringe is the wrong word, shouldn’t say that. It’s just a type of fandom I don’t feel at all akin to. I’m a “separation of art from artist” guy to a T and this is more “artist, art (results) is secondary” type stuff.

But to each their own: I’ve analyzed and talked about the Sabres social media presence a lot and it doesn’t seem that interesting to people i don’t think, maybe dudacek has picked up what I’ve thrown down a few times, but by and large…but ya: I’d wager the sabres official media does a *great* job tailoring content to these folks as that market seems to be thriving online 

All I’m saying is that none of my favorite players have ever been ugly

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think it's kinda weird to be complaining about "overpayments" when the team is $7M under the cap.

Lafferty, Aube-Kubel, Malenstyn are low-risk contracts. He paid a little more to make sure he got 3 guys he targeted. Each is a cheap, short-term commitment that doesn't handicap the team in any way under that cap. If they provide what they're supposed to, they were good signings, if they don't they weren't.

Zucker is pretty obviously a huge overpayment on AAV to avoid term. Maybe he should have been more willing to accept term and chased a better player. But this contract again, doesn't handicap the team under the cap in any way, shape or form. If Zucker does what he's supposed to the signing in and of itself is fine. If Peterka and Quinn take a jump, then it looks very smart.

UPL is your straight bet on the player deal: paying the player more than you have to before you have to pay more than you want to. Like the Thompson and Power deals, time will tell if it was a good bet.

And with Krebs, it's kinda similar, but which much lower stakes.

To me, UPL is the only deal that carries any real risk.

I think what Adams didn't spend is far more questionable than what he did.

It’s part and parcel of the same problem.  It’s safe to assume that KA is operating with an internal cap.  Overpaying depth players eats into the budget and could be a reason that a deal for a legit top 6 forward has not been completed.  You say we have 7 mill in cap space, but the truth maybe that KA is not allowed by Pegula to spend that extra cap.  

We maybe in a difficult catch 22.  Pegula won’t spend to the cap until we have a winning team, but teams that don’t spend to the cap don’t win.  

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5774710/2024/09/17/peyton-krebs-contract-sabres-training-camp/

“By making a two-year commitment to Krebs, Sabres general manager Kevyn Adams is signaling that the team still has faith in Krebs developing into a regular part of Buffalo’s lineup. Now 23 years old, Krebs has shown that he can handle playing a defensive role. “

13 hours ago, postseasonblues said:

His rookie deal averaged $1,337,500 a year. Not sure what people were expecting if he wasn't moved first.

His q offer was 874k.  He had 4 goals last year.  Just because he was paid more on a rookie deal because he earned a bonus or two doesn’t mean he gets the same money going forward. 

There are many factors that could hold up a contract agreement. Based on the final deal, it’s possible (likely?) that the Sabres wanted Krebs on a 3 year deal (like Thompson’s bridge), and Krebs is betting on himself on a shorter term. Nobody was trying to get Krebs to accept a one year QO. 

I still think that there is a solid chance that he ends up being at least a Curtis Brown level player for us.