Game Discussion Thread: Prospects Challenge vs Blue Jackets, 9/13/2024

nfreeman

Helenius will never get a better chance than that.

Sweet play by Östlund — who can hockey very well. Always moving and has nice brain for the game.

They've been running him like crazy but it hasn't slowed him down.

And theres' why Baby Chevy is in the lineup

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

A little fisticuffs in there for your entertainment. Maybe we have some grit prospects after all. Kulich clearlory shows the most skill.

Is Whalberg as big as he looks or was it just relative to his linemates but he looks solid. 

He's a horse, with the neck of a rhino.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Didn't watch it, but based on the comments you really have to feel for the CBJ fans. Bottom of the standings, tragically losing their star winger, and a prospect group that got manhandled by the Sabres.

I don’t think the last one is even on the radar comparatively

it’s a prospects challenge game

Komarov looked like Komarov. They might have a couple gems in the two Russian twin towers.

Helenius I thought tried to do too much at times but he is a complete centre. He looks like he will be a  good one.

Rosen and Ryan Johnson were flying

Kulich looks like he is sending a message. Let’s see how the next 2 games go.

Columbus didn’t have too much firepower. 

9 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Might as well. Kulich on the team can’t be any worse than the rosters from the previous 13 years.

I’d play him at 4C, why not? Lindy does the 4 lines thing, right? I feel like he could work well with someone like Malenstyn. And could move up lineup if proving capable. 

I mean, it’s a prospects challenge game, we can draw almost nothing from it in the macro (already see people on twitter saying we’ve solved our top 6 addition problem lol) but we knew Kulich was already knocking on the door and dominating in a game he should dominate, as a pro, only reinforces the idea he’s ready for a real shot 

Peterka - Thompson - Tuch
Benson - Cozens - Quinn
Zucker - McLeod - Greenway
Malenstyn - Kulich - Lafferty

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Might as well. Kulich on the team can’t be any worse than the rosters from the previous 13 years.

One thing Kulich has that Krebs does not, is a legitimate NHL-caliber shot.

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And on the one goal against it seemed the F's got a little lost in coverage during the 4v4.

In addition to the forwards breakdown, the Columbus goal was a missed shot turned perfect pass off the back boards.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

What I meant was that the accounts of the game suggested they're weak on prospects. 

Columbus is where Buffalo was in about 2020. All their higher end prospects aka the 19-22 crowd are in the NHL mostly. There's about a 5 year lag between getting your drafting decent to see players and talent really starting to stack up in the system. 

Kulich was good, as expected. Helenius was good but imo looked just a touch behind at points but he'll be fine. 

Sabres defense was good throughout. 

If the actual Sabres play this fast and hard we might make the playoffs. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Peterka - Thompson - Tuch
Benson - Cozens - Quinn
Zucker - McLeod - Greenway
Malenstyn - Kulich - Lafferty

Don't think they're gonna put Kulich on the fourth line, he looked powerful today but besides that is not his game, i think Lindy would know it's better to play top line minutes and PP in the AHL then play a handful of minutes on the fourth line.

• Disagree 1
  • dislike 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Komarov looked like Komarov. They might have a couple gems in the two Russian twin towers.

Helenius I thought tried to do too much at times but he is a complete centre. He looks like he will be a  good one.

Rosen and Ryan Johnson were flying

Kulich looks like he is sending a message. Let’s see how the next 2 games go.

Columbus didn’t have too much firepower. 

I agree with everything you said. I also thought Johnson was skating really well. And seemed like he really looking to shoot more often. Helenius looked good off the puck, looked good keeping possession. What impressed me most about him was he was tossed easily twice, on his first shift and then late in the first, very easily, and he got up and adjusted really well rest of the game.

Komarov i was uncertain about. Surely he had moments but also felt like he was a bit of a turnover machine. One turnover led to a big chance for Columbus. When he wasn't turning the puck over he did look promising though.

Also wanted to give a stick tap to Tullio and Cheveldayoff. They were constantly annoying Columbus during the play, but also after every whistle it seemed like they were involved in something. Cheveldayoff fought and the 2nd fight of the night by #65 Bodin which came at the end of the shift when Tullio was involved in some rough play as well, which resulted in Bodin fighting. Not sure how much skill/impact they can bring to Rochester even on 4th line and penalty kill, but they certainly bring a edge and sandpaper to that lineup.

9 minutes ago, Two or less said:

Don't think they're gonna put Kulich on the fourth line, he looked powerful today but besides that is not his game, i think Lindy would know it's better to play top line minutes and PP in the AHL then play a handful of minutes on the fourth line.

My first thought was this too BUT if Krebs isn't signed or if Kulich looks to be the better player, let him get his feet wet on the 4th line.  he would get more minutes than a reg. 4th liner cause he would be on the PP2 as well 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

My first thought was this too BUT if Krebs isn't signed or if Kulich looks to be the better player, let him get his feet wet on the 4th line.  he would get more minutes than a reg. 4th liner cause he would be on the PP2 as well 

Even if Krebs is signed i am not sure he isn't the 13th forward to start the season. Aubé-Kubel, Lafferty and Malenstyn probably play ahead of him at the start.