Prospect Challenge Roster Announced

Brawndo

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

in HOCKEY. 

I don't think Rosen will be an NHL player. At least not a regular one. That's all that really matters. 

Not saying this is what you're doing here at all, but your post sparked this thought:

i read a lot of posts saying "Stop gifting NHL roles to prospects" "I'm tired of Buffalo rushing their kids, slow cook 'em" and "make these guys earn their spots"

And I read a lot of posts implying "if he's any good, he'd be here by now. He's probably a bust."

From where I sit Rosen was drafted as an undersized skill player who needed to get bigger and better defensively and learn how to play against men.

So when we see him spend his 19 and 20 year old seasons adding 20 pounds, improving his defensive play and outproducing all but 2 of his peers in the AHL, shouldn't we tend to think the kid is pretty much on track in terms of how we'd hope he'd develop?

(I say this even though I also tend to think he's probably not going to make it, at least as a guy who matters)

25 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

Krebs and Rosen for whatever positive upgrade you can make and move on.

This post is more what I was referring to.

Ideally, this season he takes another step in the AHL, sees some time in Buffalo, and moves into Zucker's role next year.

It's just as likely it takes one more year, or doesn't happen at all.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

Lysowski with some interesting insight into Ty Tullio, the other guy in the Savoie trade.

Says he developed a staph infection in his hand early last year, which really hampered his ability to handle the puck and shoot.

Apparently the kid has a bit of a chip on his shoulder that he was tossed aside by the Oilers and Lance expects him to play a little angry.

His game is apparently in-your-face and he is another one of these guys (like Zeimer, Poltapov and Wahlberg, albeit with a lower ceiling) that has some potential to develop into a bottom 6 role player.

I'm interested in seeing what he brings this weekend.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Anything Tullio brings going forward to me is icing on the cake (not that I really expect anything.) I’m still a big fan of the Savoie trade - I think McLeod will be pretty good - but regardless, every time I look at the prospect pool in wake of forgetting if dealing Savoie dented it or not, I’m struck by the amount of names we have there that have a reasonable shot of making the NHL. Doesn’t look like a ton of blue-chip stuff imo but a lot of depth. There are still too many guys, not saying this in a detrimental way: I think some are going to hit by the strength of how many bullets we have in the chamber, and not only that, we can and still should move a few as currency and the odds of the pool striking gold probably wouldn’t materially change.

I don’t know if it’s a Sabres thing or a league wide prospect trade thing but we often seem to go for the guys who have some sort of negative in their past we apparently feel represents potential gain going forward by way of fixing that negative. Negatives we’ve adjudged to be out of their control, like say this Tullio injury. I’m not sure if we are needing to “settle” for these guys where we are hoping for hidden value because we can’t get more of a sure thing, and we are just gassing them up. A lot of additions seem to be in that vein, ala Eric Comrie. With a prospect, though, I’d say while these hidden variables don’t usually pan out, they are more valuable when analyzing the asset than the variables that have established at the pro level (Comrie, lack of starts supposedly representing unlocked value).

• Like (+1) 1

I suppose it’s primarily a function of picking high up SO many times in a row (combined with some drafting acumen), where things just mathematically have to pan out for you at some point because you’ve collected so much high level prospect talent, but sometimes I look at the young players on the team now in combination with the prospect backing (but mostly the on-roster youth) and can’t help but get a suspicious feeling the team IS going to be good, soon, despite our best efforts to not be in the immediate term through spending to the cap. Despite our best efforts to seemingly never win.

Might it be that there’s just too much talent, too many players who don’t care very much about what the “priority” is, from on high? Is it bad form, am I setting myself up for disappointment in adjudging that with even *average* relative development among their likely supposed/projected ranges, among the youth on the roster, we’d be pretty good *this* year? Maybe if we peel back beyond the last 10 years, teams in the bottom 10 of payroll made the playoffs at a BIT higher of a clip? Maybe? Maybe someone can post some hopeful data on that.

Anyways, I feel like I do this every September and end up regretting it, not only for getting my hopes up only to come crashing down, but also because worry I allow too much bias to sway me too much from the factors I’d usually point to, the ones I point to all the time. The factors that will lead all the outside experts to predict the Sabres finish 12th in the East. The same stuff that had me saying last week we had about a 35% chance of making the playoffs.

But screw it. Today we spell redemption R-O-N: 51% likely, imo 

Edited by Thorny
Could be the wrong thread. Sorry. But it’s the prospects giving me hope! Youngest team in da leeeeeeeeeeaaaaa

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I suppose it’s primarily a function of picking high up SO many times in a row (combined with some drafting acumen), where things just mathematically have to pan out for you at some point because you’ve collected so much high level prospect talent, but sometimes I look at the young players on the team now in combination with the prospect backing (but mostly the on-roster youth) and can’t help but get a suspicious feeling the team IS going to be good, soon, despite our best efforts to not be in the immediate term through spending to the cap. Despite our best efforts to seemingly never win.

Might it be that there’s just too much talent, too many players who don’t care very much about what the “priority” is, from on high? Is it bad form, am I setting myself up for disappointment in adjudging that with even *average* relative development among their likely supposed/projected ranges, among the youth on the roster, we’d be pretty good *this* year? Maybe if we peel back beyond the last 10 years, teams in the bottom 10 of payroll made the playoffs at a BIT higher of a clip? Maybe? Maybe someone can post some hopeful data on that.

Anyways, I feel like I do this every September and end up regretting it, not only for getting my hopes up only to come crashing down, but also because worry I allow too much bias to sway me too much from the factors I’d usually point to, the ones I point to all the time. The factors that will lead all the outside experts to predict the Sabres finish 12th in the East. The same stuff that had me saying last week we had about a 35% chance of making the playoffs.

But screw it. Today we spell redemption R-O-N: 51% likely, imo 

How did Kevyn Adams hijack Thorny's account? 😉 

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not saying this is what you're doing here at all, but your post sparked this thought:

i read a lot of posts saying "Stop gifting NHL roles to prospects" "I'm tired of Buffalo rushing their kids, slow cook 'em" and "make these guys earn their spots"

And I read a lot of posts implying "if he's any good, he'd be here by now. He's probably a bust."

From where I sit Rosen was drafted as an undersized skill player who needed to get bigger and better defensively and learn how to play against men.

So when we see him spend his 19 and 20 year old seasons adding 20 pounds, improving his defensive play and outproducing all but 2 of his peers in the AHL, shouldn't we tend to think the kid is pretty much on track in terms of how we'd hope he'd develop?

(I say this even though I also tend to think he's probably not going to make it, at least as a guy who matters)

This post is more what I was referring to.

Ideally, this season he takes another step in the AHL, sees some time in Buffalo, and moves into Zucker's role next year.

It's just as likely it takes one more year, or doesn't happen at all.

Sure. No argument. Fully cooking your prospects is the way to go and we have rushed too many already and gifting roster spots is really dumb. Maybe we are there now, maybe not. Depends what we actually have on the NHL roster. 

I just don't think Rosen has what it takes. I could be wrong. Sometimes prospects come back from the summer and are completely different with different attitudes and they grow and things change. There are late bloomers. So you don't give up on him yet by any means, but my expectations for him are low to none. Kulich is a maybe. Helenius I still have to see. 

Game 1 streaming at 7.  Will be watching.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 9/12/2024 at 7:47 AM, Thorny said:

We don’t seem to have any rookies actually pencilled into the lineup at this time unless I am much mistaken. Because we don’t seem to be strictly counting on any outright, or at least don’t appear to be, im starting to gradually warm to the idea we might get some unexpectedly beneficial results from one of them aka the pool. When available spots decrease, the likelihood we can fill them internally from youth obviously goes up: can one surprising youngster emerge from the several we have champing at the bit? I think yes.

Have to think Kulich is the leading candidate for this