Prospect Challenge Roster Announced

Brawndo

Plus Johnson, who I guess makes sense but I could have seen excused, and Chevaldayoff who I'd completely forgotten about.

Wonder if he'll do something to get noticed. Feels like we haven't had that type of prospect in a long time.

3 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

Would have liked to see Brodie Ziemer – RW on this roster. Maybe U of Minnesota Gophers said no? Not sure how that works. I've got high hopes for this kid.

I am fully prepared to be corrected , but I’m not sure college guys are eligible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

Would have liked to see Brodie Ziemer – RW on this roster. Maybe U of Minnesota Gophers said no? Not sure how that works. I've got high hopes for this kid.

5 minutes ago, steveoath said:

I am fully prepared to be corrected , but I’m not sure college guys are eligible. 

This.

College guys are never in camp.

Euros under contract to a European team rarely are.

What's really interesting about this team is how many of them will be playing for the Amerks this year.

Meidema, Ponocha, Brunet and the goalies will be headed back to junior.

The rest will be Amerks or their ECHL affiliate.

It's kinda unheard of.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I'm excited to see the two goalies.  Both are part of the broader Team Canada.  Ratzlaff played for them at the Hlinka (22/23) and sat on the bench for the U20s and Leenders played on U17 and U18 teams before ridding the pine in last season's Hlinka.   Both have good potential and it will be nice them in action.

@dudacek  This is preview almost of the Amerks with 8 of their probably top 9 forwards and 3 key defensemen.  

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm excited to see the two goalies.  Both are part of the broader Team Canada.  Ratzlaff played for them at the Hlinka (22/23) and sat on the bench for the U20s and Leenders played on U17 and U18 teams before ridding the pine in last season's Hlinka.   Both have good potential and it will be nice them in action.

@dudacek  This is preview almost of the Amerks with 8 of their probably top 9 forwards and 3 key defensemen.  

Agreed. I think Murray, Jobst and Dunne are probably top 9, but Wahlberg, Rosen, Kulich, Östlund, Helenius should join them and Tullio, Kozak and the Russians could be in the mix. Am I missing anybody?

Kisakov and Kozak really need to step up or risk becoming irrelevant.

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Plus Johnson, who I guess makes sense but I could have seen excused, and Chevaldayoff who I'd completely forgotten about.

Wonder if he'll do something to get noticed. Feels like we haven't had that type of prospect in a long time.

The rare active GM / prospective NHLer dual threat? It’s been a while 

Sabres Prospects involved in Prospects Challenge

2022: Forwards 17, Defense 8, Goalies 2

2023: Forwards 15, Defense 8, Goalies 2

2024: Forwards 13, Defense 7, Goalies 2

The winsome Sabres fan will say, "There's no need for extra prospects, because there aren't any folks to play 1 game and sit the rest because they'll be trying to make the NHL roster."

The cynical Sabres fan will say, "EEE means you can't bring in too many prospects to the tourney because that extra travel and food budget costs $$$."

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Sabres Prospects involved in Prospects Challenge

2022: Forwards 17, Defense 8, Goalies 2

2023: Forwards 15, Defense 8, Goalies 2

2024: Forwards 13, Defense 7, Goalies 2

The winsome Sabres fan will say, "There's no need for extra prospects, because there aren't any folks to play 1 game and sit the rest because they'll be trying to make the NHL roster."

The cynical Sabres fan will say, "EEE means you can't bring in too many prospects to the tourney because that extra travel and food budget costs $$$."

I have many negative opinions of KA and his management of the Sabres, but if you look at the roster, the list is a real "team" comprised of our prospects.  No outside filler.  These are all guys management wants to see and wants to see excel.   I'm all for maximizing their reps and getting them an early start toward building a cohesive Amerks group from day one.  It will also help management determine which of these guys are close to NHL ready.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

It seems odd to me for Ryan Johnson to be on this roster.  He played 41 NHL games last season, and at that, played pretty well.  What do they need to evaluate of him in this tournament?  Rosen and Kulich should excel too, as they've now had a couple seasons of professional hockey in Rochester.  The rest all make sense to me and I'm most interested to see how the young goalies play.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

It seems odd to me for Ryan Johnson to be on this roster.  He played 41 NHL games last season, and at that, played pretty well.  What do they need to evaluate of him in this tournament?  Rosen and Kulich should excel too, as they've now had a couple seasons of professional hockey in Rochester.  The rest all make sense to me and I'm most interested to see how the young goalies play.

What's odd about it?  The roster is the young Amerks and a handful of others to round out a tournament roster.  This is essentially getting the Amerks 3 extra games together.

Johnson, unless he has a crazy good camp, is Ra-cha-cha bound to start the year.

11 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Maybe Ruff wants to get a look at them?? 

• Like (+1) 1