James Earl Jones has passed away at 93

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

Fantastic actor who played a number of moving roles. As a baseball fan, he’ll always be Mean Mr. Mertel and Terrance Mann to me. May his pain now be eased. 

Guess he really is going to learn what's out there beyond the corn in the outfield now...

• Thanks (+1) 1

James Earl Jones was born in Arkabutla, Mississippi, on January 17, 1931,[13][14] to Ruth (née Connolly); (1911–1986), a teacher and maid, and Robert Earl Jones (1910–2006), a boxer, butler, and chauffeur. His father left the family shortly after James Earl's birth and later became a stage and screen actor in New York and Hollywood.[15] Jones and his father did not get to know each other until the 1950s, when they reconciled. He said in interviews that his parents were both of mixed African-American, Irish, and Native American ancestry.[16][17]

From the age of five, Jones was raised by his maternal grandparents, John Henry and Maggie Connolly,[13] on their farm in Dublin, Michigan; they had moved from Mississippi in the Great Migration.[18] Jones found the transition to living with his grandparents in Michigan traumatic and developed a stutter so severe that he refused to speak. He said, "I was a stutterer. I couldn't talk. So my first year of school was my first mute year, and then those mute years continued until I got to high school."[18] He credited his English teacher, Donald Crouch, who discovered he had a gift for writing poetry, with helping him end his silence.[15] Crouch urged him to challenge his reluctance to speak through reading poetry aloud to the class.[19][20]

In 1949, Jones graduated from Dickson Rural Agricultural School[21] (now Brethren High School) in Brethren, Michigan, where he served as vice president of his class.[22]

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

James Earl Jones was born in Arkabutla, Mississippi, on January 17, 1931,[13][14] to Ruth (née Connolly); (1911–1986), a teacher and maid, and Robert Earl Jones (1910–2006), a boxer, butler, and chauffeur. His father left the family shortly after James Earl's birth and later became a stage and screen actor in New York and Hollywood.[15] Jones and his father did not get to know each other until the 1950s, when they reconciled. He said in interviews that his parents were both of mixed African-American, Irish, and Native American ancestry.[16][17]

From the age of five, Jones was raised by his maternal grandparents, John Henry and Maggie Connolly,[13] on their farm in Dublin, Michigan; they had moved from Mississippi in the Great Migration.[18] Jones found the transition to living with his grandparents in Michigan traumatic and developed a stutter so severe that he refused to speak. He said, "I was a stutterer. I couldn't talk. So my first year of school was my first mute year, and then those mute years continued until I got to high school."[18] He credited his English teacher, Donald Crouch, who discovered he had a gift for writing poetry, with helping him end his silence.[15] Crouch urged him to challenge his reluctance to speak through reading poetry aloud to the class.[19][20]

In 1949, Jones graduated from Dickson Rural Agricultural School[21] (now Brethren High School) in Brethren, Michigan, where he served as vice president of his class.[22]

Stick taps to Mr. Crouch. 

James Earl Jones is definitely one of the iconic voices in entertainment. As evidenced above, his roles have mostly been those that stick with people. While he's a fine actor and certainly his presence in films were engaging, without his voice, without his delivery, he would never stand out. It's easy to look to his voice in roles like Mufasa, Darth Vader, and the CNN guy :).  But consider his monologue in Field of Dreams, clearly the most well known and endearing work he's done in cinema. Without that moment, he's just an actor in the movie. Hell, without that moment, the movie might never be considered as good as it is.

There are a lot of "voices" in entertainment, but not many reach his level.

I'm thankful James Earl Jones overcame his speech issues and was able to gift us with so many memories.  I don't even have to physically hear his voice to know exactly what it sounds like.

RIP James Earl Jones, your voice will live on forever.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1