Sabres on notice and everybody knows it

dudacek

The zegras trade is interesting rumor. Did the GM go make a framework of a trade just for shakeup purposes and the owner veto it because it didn’t have the right feel?  Is that really Adam’s just following his owners orders?  Or does KA actually have a spine and thinks the trade is needed and the owner is undermining him?  I could see it both ways, but I’m not seeing how a Zegras acquisition is some sort of must have. Or the send back becomes a player like Quinn who the owner is especially fond of. Interesting to say the least, Zegras has a pile of baggage with him and next year is the time to bring that in, not sure if this upcoming training camp is the time for that. 

Nothjng matters until we have a coaching staff who is respected by their team. Need to see that shift first

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

The zegras trade is interesting rumor. Did the GM go make a framework of a trade just for shakeup purposes and the owner veto it because it didn’t have the right feel?  Is that really Adam’s just following his owners orders?  Or does KA actually have a spine and thinks the trade is needed and the owner is undermining him?  I could see it both ways, but I’m not seeing how a Zegras acquisition is some sort of must have. Or the send back becomes a player like Quinn who the owner is especially fond of. Interesting to say the least, Zegras has a pile of baggage with him and next year is the time to bring that in, not sure if this upcoming training camp is the time for that. 

Nothjng matters until we have a coaching staff who is respected by their team. Need to see that shift first

I don't really want Zegras unless you are just sending 'slightly better than garbage' back, which I don't think they will do. (Krebs, 2nd round pick, mid level prospect).  To me there is no guarantee that Zegras will be that much better than Quinn, or Peterka, or even Benson. Maybe, maybe not.

But if I don't know for sure (The Sabres DO know alot about them, not so much about Zegras), then I'm not moving one of them (or 2 of them, or a package including them) for Zegras.  I mean he LOOKS talented and he may have as much or more raw talent as any of the Sabres youngsters....He has scored 21-22 goals per 82 games (pretty good for only going into his 5th year, but not great).  But on the other hand, there are some people who say he skates hard all the time, yet I have seen clips where he just floats around, seemingly randomly, in is own end waiting near the blue-line for a breakout pass.

I'm thinking again about it as I type this and am going back and forth. If the Sabres traded for him would I be excited? Sure. But if they gave up Quinn or Peterka, much less so.

Edited by mjd1001

How did this thread get to 9 pages? 

I listened to the podcast last night while I was mowing the lawn and the whole show was Friedman giving a preview of all 32 teams as a welcome back to the pod (new season and after the Marek departure).

It was clear to me that he had nothing on the Sabres and this was the best narrative he could manufacture. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Offseason but quickly approaching training camp. NOTHING going on.  A wide ranging, vague topic which invites people to voice any kind of opinion on the team we want.

We need some on-ice action really soon.

Edited by mjd1001

10 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I listened to the podcast last night while I was mowing the lawn and the whole show was Friedman giving a preview of all 32 teams as a welcome back to the pod (new season and after the Marek departure).

It was clear to me that he had nothing on the Sabres and this was the best narrative he could manufacture. 

Better question, how did it get back to a Zegras (and his mullet) discussion???

On 9/7/2024 at 8:50 AM, That Aud Smell said:

Agree. The current Sabres situation is a Rorschach test. I blink and rub my eyes, but I just see a roster being cost controlled (and being kept young) and a franchise that spends like a traditional poverty franchise.

I know Friedman has crazy juice. But he’s got 32 teams to cover. It sounds to me like he and his league sources are talking out of their ***** regarding the Sabres.

Tell me more about this “crazy juice” 

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

This is how we winIMG_7957.png.be41f4413ad9884d9ca4a0e52d86edfd.png

Just watched it. Total ***** fluff piece.   They definitely know fans are questioning Terry’s loyalty to the team. They made it a point to say that these upgrades are coming from the owners pocket and the family is as committed to this market as anyone is committed to a market. Oh and “Terry loves hockey”.
Elaine said it best…blah blah blah

Elaine Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/10/2024 at 7:38 PM, dudacek said:

In a perfect world we hire the next Bill Zito, who quickly flips Adams mistakes for better players, convinces Pegula to spend wisely and turns things around quickly, the way @Thorny wishes Adams would have.

In the real world, Pegula probably either botches the hire, or gets in his way and we get to repeat these conversations for another 4 years as the new guy muddles his way through, and more and more fantastic fans like @Weave and @Wyldnwoody44 just get too tired or angry to invest themselves any more.

Submitted without comment 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1292093

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Submitted without comment 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1292093

I remember that.

In the aftermath of the Botterill firing, it became pretty clear that Jason was hired on the strong recommendation of the NHL and Pegula regretted listening.

Always wondered who he thought he should have hired.

43 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Oh boy. 

I mean I almost certainly think he’s just carrying water for the owners, that’s sort of his MO..but yikes, it does bring home the fact there are no good answers 

KA falling on the sword for his boss.  That will get him loyalty points……

right up until the next fanbase revolt

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Oh boy. 

I mean I almost certainly think he’s just carrying water for the owners, that’s sort of his MO..but yikes, it does bring home the fact there are no good answers 

Just strikes me as odd, not like Terry doesn't have the money to make them good. Everyone knows a good team will pack houses. 

Makes me want to hate the way Adams has handled this team even more if it's not just PR to protect Terry.

• Agree 1

After missing the playoffs by 1 point... with a coach who had no faith in VO and missing Quinn for half the season -- there was no move for a Quinn replacement (a Zucker, a Tarasenko, etc.). There was no move to improve the 4th line. There was no move to improve on Comrie. All things that occurred this past offseason, a year late. No deals that could've made them better then? No deals that could've strengthened the team and its depth?

GM Sheevyn rose to power and is going to protect the secrets of the EEE.

• Like (+1) 1