Sabres on notice and everybody knows it

dudacek

The argument seems to be: “If we build this roster in a way this season where it actually has a good chance of making the playoffs it will be a little tricky to keep that playoff team together to a man going forward, so instead, DON’T put the team in a position to make the playoffs.”

Genius lol 

problem solved! 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Real teams find ways to manage the cap and don't waste seasons because maybe possibly hopefully idk perhaps every RFA they have hits so big that they have to make tough decisions. What a joke. 

No real teams proactively ensure they have the cap space to retain their whole roster by ensuring said roster doesn’t amount to anything. Sheesh 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

So, it's settled then. We want career years from Byram, Quinn, Peterka, and McLeod. (And Rousek). Then, we encourage them to accept RFA offer sheets elsewhere so we can restock with draft picks and get younger and cheaper next season. GMKA: you have your orders.

Live look at GMKA:

IMG_7834.thumb.jpeg.67d4d647574f2658ded511af5da49e3c.jpeg

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Everything they touch sucks, except their NG holdings, the Bills, the Bandits, the Amerks, the Kin-ig-hit Hawks, and their tennis playing daughter's career.

This  person was obviously referring to the Sabres as they mentioned the entire NHL knowing it. 

Since you brought up the other aspects of Pegula’s Empire let’s take a look at them. 

East Resources-the Pegula’s rode the fracking boom to becoming billionaires. You can’t buy NHL or NFL Franchises without being one. 
People need cheap NG to heat their homes so I guess weighing the pros and cons of fracking and the environmental impacts of it can be made at a later date. 

The Bills, making the the playoffs is fun every year, but the stated goal has been the Super Bowl.  Unlike the Sabres, the Brandon Beane has full authority to spend and utilize whatever resources necessary in an attempt to achieve this goal. 

They made the AFC Championship Game four years ago and haven’t been back since. 

The Amerks have had intermittent playoff success but they had their operating budget cut during EEE and unfortunately they are linked to Pegula’s biggest CF

They sold the Knighthawks this summer. 

Jessica Pegula is a very good tennis player with six career tournament wins.  Unfortunately for her the great tennis players are recognized more for how many grand slam titles they have.  Shayna Goldman who writes for the Athletic and who does appear on Sabres Live does commentary for tennis. She mentioned the distance between the top women players and Pegula is greater than the distance between her and the next tier of lower ranked players, 

From someone who works for the Bandits, Terry has minimal involvement with the team. Wasn’t on the field postgame when they won the NLL Championship last year and I do not believe he was even in the building. 

There seems to be an inverse relationship between the amount of involvement he has with his sports teams and that franchises success. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I'm still mad this morning. The idea this team can't field a better team because of some mythical problem that may, might, could, appear next summer is 100% the putting the cart before the horse analogy. Team hasn't made the playoffs in 13 years but we should save capspace this year just in case of ... something? 

Either improve the team Adams or gtfo.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm still mad this morning. The idea this team can't field a better team because of some mythical problem that may, might, could, appear next summer is 100% the putting the cart before the horse analogy. Team hasn't made the playoffs in 13 years but we should save capspace this year just in case of ... something? 

Either improve the team Adams or gtfo.

I don’t think there is evidence they are being cautious with the cap this year so they can stay under the cap next year. I think their caution is related to an internal cap that is not going away anytime soon. 

Next off-season, if they replace Zucker, Greenway and Joker with entry level contracts, and bridge Peterka and Quinn (assuming progression but not huge breakout years), and give modest raises to Byram, McLeod, Levi (none are currently positioned in roles where huge raises would be a certainty), then the Sabres can easily come in $7-8 million under the anticipated cap ceiling of $92 million. If someone has a huge breakout year, then we can move a player in trade to stay within our internal salary structure. 

Until we see actual spending that proves otherwise, I think the plan is to continue with an internal cap. The lack of spending this year isn’t about ensuring we can stay under the actual cap ceiling in future years, but to ensure we can stay within our own artificial internal cap 

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

This  person was obviously referring to the Sabres as they mentioned the entire NHL knowing it. 

Since you brought up the other aspects of Pegula’s Empire let’s take a look at them. 

East Resources-the Pegula’s rode the fracking boom to becoming billionaires. You can’t buy NHL or NFL Franchises without being one. 
People need cheap NG to heat their homes so I guess weighing the pros and cons of fracking and the environmental impacts of it can be made at a later date. 

The Bills, making the the playoffs is fun every year, but the stated goal has been the Super Bowl.  Unlike the Sabres, the Brandon Beane has full authority to spend and utilize whatever resources necessary in an attempt to achieve this goal. 

They made the AFC Championship Game four years ago and haven’t been back since. 

The Amerks have had intermittent playoff success but they had their operating budget cut during EEE and unfortunately they are linked to Pegula’s biggest CF

Jessica Pegula is a very good tennis player with six career tournament wins.  Unfortunately for her the great tennis players are recognized more for how many grand slam titles they have.  Shayna Goldman who writes for the Athletic and who does appear on Sabres Live does commentary for tennis. She mentioned the distance between the top women players and Pegula is greater than the distance between her and the next tier of lower ranked players, 

From someone who works for the Bandits, Terry has minimal involvement with the team. Wasn’t on the field postgame when they won the NLL Championship last year and I do not believe he was even in the building. 

There seems to be an inverse relationship between the amount of involvement he has with his sports teams and that franchises success. 

Everyone always forgets that his first brilliant idea for the Bills was Rex Ryan.

23 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Karmanos was offered the Canucks position by Rutherford before the the current GM took the job 

Ahh good to know. One wonders why he did not jump ship. I certainly don't know the answer or desire to speculate.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I've never made popcorn this early.

Popcorn can serve as a pretty solid addition for dietary fiber. So perhaps it's something to consider more often? 🙂

4 hours ago, LTS said:

Ahh good to know. One wonders why he did not jump ship. I certainly don't know the answer or desire to speculate.

Popcorn can serve as a pretty solid addition for dietary fiber. So perhaps it's something to consider more often? 🙂

He has just taken the Sabres AGM Job and hired Sam Ventura, he did not want to leave as he felt loyalty to stay. Plus Buffalo is a hell of a lot closer to Pittsburgh(where his family is) compared to Vancouver 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

Everyone always forgets that his first brilliant idea for the Bills was Rex Ryan.

The irony was he paid a firm for a HC Search and they presented their candidate. Russ Brandon overruled their recommendation and suggested Rex Ryan. After Brandon and Ryan were fired, the same firm was hired again for a coaching search they came back with Sean McDermott, the same candidate they had suggested a few years earlier 

• Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The irony was he paid a firm for a HC Search and they presented their candidate. Russ Brandon overruled their recommendation and suggested Rex Ryan. After Brandon and Ryan were fired, the same firm was hired again for a coaching search they came back with Sean McDermott, the same candidate they had suggested a few years earlier 

Seriously? I haven't heard this one before. I do recall the story about how Brandon coached Rex on the sorts of stuff to talk about with Terry in order to curry favour (I recall a bit about red wines, specifically (which, honestly, is the most basic b1tch billionaire sh1t ever)).

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/6/2024 at 8:17 PM, #freejame said:

Outside of Terry selling, there’s no change that matters. I don’t think “don’t make the playoffs or you’ll get traded out of Buffalo” has worked so far. 

How is it the Sabres have issues but the Bills and Bandits are champion caliber?

Also, no one is spending $750MM for the thrill of owning an NHL team in Buffalo. Anyone who'd want them at that price will move 'em elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

I'll tell you one person who is all-in with the Sabres this year is Conehead beer guy.  I ran into him in the parking lot at Innovative (Frontier) Field in Rochester Saturday. (Apparently he works games all over.) I asked him how he thought the Sabres would do and he was 100% sold on Lindy whipping the boys into shape. Let's hope he's right.

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How is it the Sabres have issues but the Bills and Bandits are champion caliber?

Also, no one is spending $750MM for the thrill of owning an NHL team in Buffalo. Anyone who'd want them at that price will move 'em elsewhere.

Terry doesn't touch the Bandits who play in like a 14 team league

The Bills have Josh Allen. 

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'll tell you one person who is all-in with the Sabres this year is Conehead beer guy.  I ran into him in the parking lot at Innovative (Frontier) Field in Rochester Saturday. (Apparently he works games all over.) I asked him how he thought the Sabres would do and he was 100% sold on Lindy whipping the boys into shape. Let's hope he's right.

And that could happen. But the margin for errors is thin. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It very well could. And rest assured the fact it took Adams far too long to field a playoff team will fall by the wayside of “I told you so! He’s a genius!” when that happy day comes 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

It very well could. And rest assured the fact it took Adams far too long to field a playoff team will fall by the wayside of “I told you so! He’s a genius!” when that happy day comes 

I’ve been begging for the Sabres to prove me wrong over a decade. I’d love to eat crow. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They got a lot more than him, but it all starts with him. Also, just for accuracy, the NLL has 16 teams now.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Sabres aren’t leaving Buffalo.

“Be happy with a bad team or else” is a boogeyman 

It’s sort of the Last Desperate Argument of the “it’s actually ok we’ve been historically bad under this putrid owner for a generation” side of things.

“At least we have a team at all, right? Don’t rock the boat, it could be worse. Stay in line, eyes to the ground.” 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Sabres aren’t leaving Buffalo.

“Be happy with a bad team or else” is a boogeyman 

It’s sort of the Last Argument of the “it’s actually ok we are historically bad” side of things.

“At least we have a team at all, right? Don’t rock the boat, it could be worse. Stay in line, eyes to the ground.” 

Jim Balsillie lurks behind every corner waiting to strike.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/8/2024 at 11:44 PM, Brawndo said:

I have friends in the building.  The Amerks facilities are fine and they max spend on veteran roster spots every year.  The fact that Terry couldn’t make money running the building does not mean anything for the organization.  

Are you sure about the Hawks? There were rumors of a sale or relocation (Terry doesn’t need two lacrosse teams), but those were just reports back in April and nothing since.