Johnny Gaudreau and Brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

aristocrat

I hope all the proceeds from his jersey sales are going to his family.  I’m sure they have plenty of coin, givin the contracts he’s received, but profiting off someone’s passing is death merchant nastiness.  

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, inkman said:

I hope all the proceeds from his jersey sales are going to his family.  I’m sure they have plenty of coin, givin the contracts he’s received, but profiting off someone’s passing is death merchant nastiness.  

I’m sure they’ll do something, but can you really blame the team store for something that has been on their shelves for a while now?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I agree, but I’m also not worried. The Blue Jackets are one of the organizations in the league I expect to do right by his family. The ownership group seems vested in the organization.

Not sure what they’ll do. It might be jersey proceeds going to the family or one of the charities Johnny Hockey supported. I also expect them to retire his number.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

It’s collectively bargained so they can’t just give his family the money. His contract still gets paid out. The contracts are insured so I’m not sure if the family gets the lump sum pay out or if it just gets paid out yearly. 

Thoughts and prayers to the Guadreau family.  I  can’t help but contemplate my youth when poor decisions like the one last night to get behind the wheel were made by me.  What is the reason there wasn’t a pedestrian to a bicyclist there at the time?  Why was I never in an accident even though I risked it dozens of times.  I have not had a drink in 25 years but I feel the guilt of a senseless loss of life.  

• Thanks (+1) 3

On 8/30/2024 at 8:59 PM, aristocrat said:

His contract still gets paid out. The contracts are insured so I’m not sure if the family gets the lump sum pay out or if it just gets paid out yearly. 

I don’t think this is true.  I did some research and found that his family will get his salary this year (9.75MM) and additionally a 1M death benefit.  As an aside, Johnny’s earnings  have been around 70MM in his career.  

I have no proof, but I’m sure Johnny had purchased some kind of personal life insurance to protect these future earnings.  When you’re in his stratosphere of earnings, it is common practice of wealth management.  

From the team standpoint, it appears the contract is no longer cap eligible, and is now “new” money to be spent this season.  

A gofundme was established to assist his brother’s family as he was a father to be this December.  Currently, the donations have eclipsed 400k. 
https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-madeline-and-baby-tripp-after-tragedy

Many NHL players have contributed, including old friends Eric Robinson & Mark Jankowski.  

14 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I don’t think this is true.  I did some research and found that his family will get his salary this year (9.75MM) and additionally a 1M death benefit.  As an aside, Johnny’s earnings  have been around 70MM in his career.  

I have no proof, but I’m sure Johnny had purchased some kind of personal life insurance to protect these future earnings.  When you’re in his stratosphere of earnings, it is common practice of wealth management.  

From the team standpoint, it appears the contract is no longer cap eligible, and is now “new” money to be spent this season.  

A gofundme was established to assist his brother’s family as he was a father to be this December.  Currently, the donations have eclipsed 400k. 
https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-madeline-and-baby-tripp-after-tragedy

Many NHL players have contributed, including old friends Eric Robinson & Mark Jankowski.  

The contract is fully guaranteed so I’d think his family would have a good case for the team to pay it out. The teams get all their contracts insured if a player gets permanently injured and has to pay it out. I’d think this would apply

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

The contract is fully guaranteed so I’d think his family would have a good case for the team to pay it out. The teams get all their contracts insured if a player gets permanently injured and has to pay it out. I’d think this would apply

The family has no case for that. As cold as it may sound, he is not able to honor the terms of his contract, so it doesn’t pay out. The injury stuff you’re mentioning only matters when it is hockey related. This one is not. 

That said, it probably doesn’t matter much to the family. You’d have to imagine he was a very sizable life insurance policy, beyond the minimum level stuff provided by the league. They’re hurting for a very long time, but it won’t be due to money. 

6 hours ago, aristocrat said:

I read the CBA. You’re guessing.  

13 hours ago, SwampD said:

Since we’re being pedantic, it’s he and his brother.

It generally hasn't been pedantics or pedantry, too lazy to look up the right word.

A lonely few still care about the presumption of innocence, that's all.

On 9/1/2024 at 7:53 PM, Porous Five Hole said:

I read the CBA. You’re guessing.  

you read a 540 page document? I’m not going through that but can you share the death section. 
So he sustained a non hockey related injury resulting in death. The injury coming from a criminal act that he was at no fault for. Had he died on the ice he’d be paid out. Team would be reimbursed by the insurance company .

This is a situation to where I’d think the cba would be in favor of the players family being paid out. He wasn’t flying a plane, skydiving or any of the usual parts of contracts that if you’re injured or die you void the deal. If he isn’t paid out I’d say the union will change this in future cba even though this is so rare 

• Eyeroll 1

On 8/30/2024 at 3:13 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I can guess perhaps that this is a new distinction police make for traffic incidents to distinguish them from EBikes or other motorized cycles. It might change some of the legalities around where you are on the road etc. 

Not really, bicycles, ebikes, and motorcycles are normal road users and can use the entire lane if they need to.

31 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Not really, bicycles, ebikes, and motorcycles are normal road users and can use the entire lane if they need to.*

*In most localities.  I believe there are certain localities such as NYC that if a bike lane is available, a bicycle is required to use it by law (many don't).

In Texas the law is basically as far to the right as practical, but a cyclist may take the full lane if required for safety reasons (lane not wide enough to pass).

With all the avowed drinkers on this board, heavy even, I'd be careful with the rhetoric and judgment. A lot of you are one little nudge from doing exactly what this driver is alleged to have done. The problem isn't drunk driving.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2