Johnny Gaudreau and Brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

aristocrat

37 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

https://www.nj.com/sports/2024/08/nhl-star-johnny-gaudreau-brother-killed-after-being-struck-by-accused-drunk-driver-in-nj.html?outputType=amp

guy had 5-6 beers which probably means 9-10 and admitted it at the scene. Wtf is he doing trying to pass someone on the right? It’s a two lane road so guy is on the shoulder passing someone. Jesus 

Passing on the right like that is absolutely psychotic driving behavior.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I don't understand this. The SUV went into the passing lane, basically, and a vehicle he was trying to pass then cut in front of him to give the riders room? Then..Not sure how that led to an accident. 

The vehicle being passed moved to the left, so the SUV passed it on the right (where the riders were)?

I ride quite a bit, and I hate riding on rural two lane roads.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/AmFi5uPkijh61R8J8

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The vehicle being passed moved to the left, so the SUV passed it on the right (where the riders were)?

I just got back from wegman's and this guy was driving through the parking lot fast, skipping through the lanes of parked cars and hitting on a vape pipe. I'm shaking my head, turn to put the cart away and this women comes flying down the parking lot lane really fast by me, surprising me. Gees! Speed bumps are a good thing, IMO 

• Like (+1) 1

Higgins tried to pass the SUV on the right and struck the two bicyclists in the rear, the highway patrol said.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets/2024/08/30/columbus-blue-jackets-johnny-gaudreau-dead-bike-accident-crashnew-jersey-calgary-flamesnhl/75009208007/

Edited by Doohickie

5 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Sunset today in New Jersey is about 7:30. If JG and his brother did not have on lights and reflective vest, then this dude's attorney will no doubt argue they were partly at fault. 

Total speculation on my part, but just throwing it out there 

Two things:

1) not the time for this conversation.  

2) reckless driving led to this.  You should not be trying to pass a car via the median on the right. 

Rest in peace Johnny Hockey and Matthew.  The Gaudreau’s & Blue Jackets fans will need to feel the love from all of us. 

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Jesus 😑 I always worry when I'm cycling, even with lights on my bike and all, even sober people get too close to cyclists. 

Awful awful news. Don't drink and drive, it's not that hard (apparently it is) I wish the punishment for this would be even worse, it's just totally unexcuasabe. 

Sucks to hear it about anybody, even if it wasn't an NHL star. 

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

This is not a court of law. It’s a message board. It is murder. Automobile propaganda and lobbying might have convinced the courts otherwise, but to say this does not meet the laymen’s definition is clearly wrong, based on all the laymen in here saying it’s murder. If you want to have a separate conversation over the rights of auto drivers vs pedestrians and cyclists, we can have it out elsewhere. 

It’s obviously distracting to what really happened here and what we should be focusing on: 2 bicyclists are dead due to a drunk driver.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/41053342/blue-jackets-winger-johnny-gaudreau-brother-matthew-die

ESPN reports that the police referred to Johnny and Matthew as “pedalcyclists” which I suppose means they were actually riding a pedalcycle and not bicycling. This would make some sense considering they were there for their sister’s wedding and a pedacycle might be at the rehearsal dinner or other wedding event. 

A terrible tragedy nonetheless. 

Edited by Swedish Bikini Team

Absolutely tragic as it hits close to home a bit as my nephew was murdered at 25 by a negligent driver in NJ as well.

Something I carry with me every day now for 7 years.

I cant imagine that family right now, my heart breaks for the Gaudreau family.

And for the Columbus Blue Jackets as well, as they have endured tragedies lately. Very sad day for the hockey world.

RIP Johnny and Matt

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Swedish Bikini Team said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/41053342/blue-jackets-winger-johnny-gaudreau-brother-matthew-die

ESPN reports that the police referred to Johnny and Matthew as “pedalcyclists” which I suppose means they were actually riding a pedalcycle and not bicycling. This would make some sense considering they were there for their sister’s wedding and a pedacycle might be at the rehearsal dinner or other wedding event. 

I had to Google what that is. The only images coming up in my search, wouldn’t there be way more than 2 people involved?

Sad tragedy which just shows you that things can happen to anyone any time no matter how rich or famous or great your life is, things can change in a second. Very sad for his family.

Arguing about calling it "murder" is a little internet distastefulness for me though. The law is the law, if you want it changed call your representatives or go to a M.A.D.D. protest or something. It doesn't matter what it's called, the thread title is now inflammatory but whatever, it's the internet. It's a sad thing and if you are a Columbus fan you're gutted. Just horrible. 

But let's not get caught up on "murder" labels. Craig MacTavish has his name on the Stanley Cup after all. 

1 hour ago, Swedish Bikini Team said:

I can guess perhaps that this is a new distinction police make for traffic incidents to distinguish them from EBikes or other motorized cycles. It might change some of the legalities around where you are on the road etc. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I used ride a decent amount. Pretty much anywhere with cars is a nightmare. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been hit by someone not paying attention. Usually they’re just starting to move so not many injuries but people in cars are oblivious to people on bikes for most part. Can count on one finger how many people stopped after hitting me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, shrader said:

I had to Google what that is. The only images coming up in my search, wouldn’t there be way more than 2 people involved?

I don’t know. Maybe they took it out for a joyride after the rehearsal dinner?  They both were obviously fit so it’s possible the two of them could operate it together. I have never been in one so I have no idea how many riders are needed. 

IMG_5965.jpeg

https://pagesix.com/2024/08/30/celebrity-news/johnny-gaudreaus-sisters-wedding-canceled-after-nhl-stars-death/?_gl=1*mdnovl*_ga*ODc2Mjk0OTUyLjE3MjUwNDc3NDg.*_ga_0DZ7LHF5PZ*MTcyNTA0Nzc0OC4xLjEuMTcyNTA0Nzc2My40NS4wLjA.

Johnny Gaudreau’s sister Katie’s wedding canceled after NHL star and brother Matthew killed by drunk driver

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Well, "murder" has motive to kill. This guy was a d-bag and is totally guilty of killing, but he probably did not set out to kill anyone on purpose 

Well, at this point, everyone talking definitions and points of law are being overly pedantic.

• nfreeman changed the title to Johnny Gaudreau and Brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

Wow! That is crazy! Another reason why I will never ride a bike unless it's in the Netherlands where the bikes are the ones that the roads are made for and cars are the "guests".

In America you literally take your life in your hands any time you ride a bike...or motorcycle.

RIP