What's deal with Peyton Krebs?

dudacek

Peyton Krebs  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best fits your perception of Peyton Krebs?

• I think his offence can take a leap and he'll be a good complementary middle-six piece
    • He will have a solid career as a Dixon Ward-level 2-way NHL 3rd-liner
    • His future is as a 4th line role player, like a Curtis Lazar
    • He'll get another couple sniffs because of his draft pedigree, but is basically on his way out of the NHL
  2. 2. Do you think Peyton Krebs will still be a Buffalo Sabre on Oct. 1, 2025?

55 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well Peyton, idk how you expect to get more than this guy so should probably sign your offer. 

Krebs:  4 goals in 80 games last year

Robertson: 14 goals in 56 games last year (20.5 goal pace)

And its not like Krebs brings a TON of other stuff. Hes an average skater, not a big guy, for sure not a shut down center (he makes his share of mistakes in his own end).

With everyone the Sabres signed, he is not NEEDED here for anything more than a 1 or 2 year deal to TRY to make the team.  If he ends up getting paid more than the Robertson deal, that is a bad move by Adams (especially if it is more than a 1 year deal)

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

So none of the prospects are ready?

Levi is ready for backup duty, but is probably in ROC to get playing time. Johnson is ready to be a 6-7 on the Sabres.

Beyond that, I don't know that any of them are ready to compete for a spot that fits. Until injuries occur.

This season, I'd rather have Greenway on the PK than Kulich. I'd rather have Benson/Quinn/Zucker/Peterka battling for top-6 wing spots than Rosen. There will be openings next year.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Well Peyton, idk how you expect to get more than this guy so should probably sign your offer. 

Just another reason to suspect that there is indeed a multi-year on the table for Krebs for more and he has to decide whether its in his best interest to bet on himself and take the qualifier like Mittelstadt did, or go for security and take the term like Tage did.

On 9/9/2024 at 8:19 AM, dudacek said:

The thought that the Sabres have become so good there is no way Krebs can squeeze into the lineup seems wildly optimistic to me.

• 215 20/46/66
  • 105 8/16/24
  • 282 31/47/78
  • 289 36/47/83
  • 219 32/43/75

Never mind the inevitability of injury, check out the career stats. Statistically, he’s cut from similar cloth to our 4 new bottom-6 guys and he’s capable of playing in a similar role. Effort and coachability don’t seem to be issues. And he may have more utility further up the lineup.

Like most of you, I see him starting the season as #13, but it’s not like this team is stuffed full of far better, or more proven players and the coach isn’t the type to sit still.

He has as much chance of being an everyday player as most. He just has to earn it.

“Shiny new toy” syndrome even applies when comparing bottom 6 players 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Levi is ready for backup duty, but is probably in ROC to get playing time. Johnson is ready to be a 6-7 on the Sabres.

Beyond that, I don't know that any of them are ready to compete for a spot that fits. Until injuries occur.

This season, I'd rather have Greenway on the PK than Kulich. I'd rather have Benson/Quinn/Zucker/Peterka battling for top-6 wing spots than Rosen. There will be openings next year.

Well since we were talking Krebs only the forwards matter. I suspect Krebs is 13th forward, but he might not want to be. 

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

That doesn’t sound positive. Wouldn’t be surprised if he is moved

You can read just about anything at all into that statement.

He basically said “I’m not going to talk about it now because things are at a tipping point.”

A trade, a contract, a stalemate, your guess is as good as anyone’s.

Edited by dudacek

Would imagine Krebs is having a hard time seeing where he fits in with the additions KA brought in and the young talent in Rochester.   Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re working together to find him an opportunity elsewhere.   Seems KA really likes him and he’d do good by him. 

Edited by Mr Peabody
  • Like (+1) 1

I don’t really blame Krebs for asking for a bit more but in reality he’ll have to sign his QO, soundly defeat the likes of Aube-Kubel and Kulich for a roster spot, and have a good year on a balanced sabres team in earning a bigger deal next time. All of which are reasonable possibilities 

Not sure why there is angst about Krebs' contract.  It will get signed when it's signed and if for some reason it doesn't get signed who cares.  

Krebs is the 13th forward.  If he doesn't sign Rousek, a prospect or someone from outside or  the organization will take his place.  Maybe Kulich has a great camp and breaks with the Sabres forcing Greenway to the 4th line and Aube-Kubel to the 13th role.  

He has zero leverage in the "negotiations" and the Sabres have zero incentive to give a 13th forward more than the minimum contract, especially as he hasn't earned a bigger or longer deal.  The Sabres also have zero incentive to sign him beyond this season as Rosen, Kulich, Helenius etc... are knocking on the NHL door and I believe Krebs will still be an RFA after this coming season if signed to a 1 year deal.  Truthfully, adding McLeod and Lafferty sealed his fate.  He failed his 3rd line center audition and KA moved on.  

As to trading him, what value does he have?  A 3rd in 2026? Less?  No real incentive to trade him either as his position flexibility is a useful trait in a 13th forward.

I still hold our diminishing hope that KA makes a deal for a top 6 forward and Krebs is part of the package going the other way.  Scant hope I admit, but still some hope that he kept the cap space open for a reason other than Pegula being cheap.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhls-top-12-rfas-of-2024-latest-rumours-reports/ 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not sure why there is angst about Krebs' contract.  It will get signed when it's signed and if for some reason it doesn't get signed who cares.  

Krebs is the 13th forward.  If he doesn't sign Rousek, a prospect or someone from outside or  the organization will take his place.  Maybe Kulich has a great camp and breaks with the Sabres forcing Greenway to the 4th line and Aube-Kubel to the 13th role.  

He has zero leverage in the "negotiations" and the Sabres have zero incentive to give a 13th forward more than the minimum contract, especially as he hasn't earned a bigger or longer deal.  The Sabres also have zero incentive to sign him beyond this season as Rosen, Kulich, Helenius etc... are knocking on the NHL door and I believe Krebs will still be an RFA after this coming season if signed to a 1 year deal.  Truthfully, adding McLeod and Lafferty sealed his fate.  He failed his 3rd line center audition and KA moved on.  

As to trading him, what value does he have?  A 3rd in 2026? Less?  No real incentive to trade him either as his position flexibility is a useful trait in a 13th forward.

I still hold our diminishing hope that KA makes a deal for a top 6 forward and Krebs is part of the package going the other way.  Scant hope I admit, but still some hope that he kept the cap space open for a reason other than Pegula being cheap.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhls-top-12-rfas-of-2024-latest-rumours-reports/ 

I agree with most of this.

To me Krebs is now a '12th-14th' level forward on most teams, a AAAA player (to use a baseball term).  He is basically 'just another guy' that, POSSIBLY because of his pedigree/observed 'raw' talent as a 1st rounder, sill has a CHANCE of becoming better, but not a great chance at this point (10% or less).

To me he's at the same level/same place as Tyson Jost was a few years ago. Krebs was a 17th overall pick, Jost was the 10th overall pick. In Jost's 2nd and 3rd years he showed offensive promise (double digit goals both years) to never be shown again.  Krebs, in his 3rd and 4th years almost hit double digits, but fell down to 4 in 80 games last year.

Jost then got traded for an undrafted journeyman (Nico Sturm) who is a career 3rd/4th liner. Then after 2 years (and about 30 total games), Jost was waived.  I kind feel Krebs is someplace close to that in his career now.  If he signs, he signs. If not, oh well.

Edited by mjd1001

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You put a fair amount of thought and effort into posting your view on something that people shouldn’t care about. 

I care. Not in the “I’m losing sleep” sense. But I want this to workout for the team and the player. Krebs was a key part of the return for Eichel, he is a former first RD pick who was thought to have top 6 ability and a captain’s pedigree. Just two years ago Granato stated that Krebs’s play making ability was Marner-like. When there was no immediate spot in the top 6 for him, he accepted a 4th line role. He is one of the few guys on the team who showed a willingness to drop the gloves. He has (had?), by all accounts, embraced the culture of “wants to be here”.

There should be no roster spot gifted to anyone in the NHL. Nothing wrong, unusual, or angst-driven though, with fans caring about what’s up with the contract situation of a good young kid that some of us had and still have hopes for. 

9 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

To me he's at the same level/same place as Tyson Jost was a few years ago. Krebs was a 17th overall pick, Jost was the 10th overall pick. In Jost's 2nd and 3rd years he showed offensive promise (double digit goals both years) to never be shown again.  Krebs, in his 3rd and 4th years almost hit double digits, but fell down to 4 in 80 games last year.

This is absolutely true. It's also true that he is in a similar place to where Casey Mittelstadt was at the same age.

Personally I don't see him washing out like Jost or taking a jump like Casey; I think his career will settle out around the Cody Eakin level.

But it's an important year for him and it's in his best interest to get on the ice and carve out a role under his new coach. He and his agent must see that.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We care, in a message board sense 

On 9/15/2024 at 7:10 PM, Mr Peabody said:

Would imagine Krebs is having a hard time seeing where he fits in with the additions KA brought in and the young talent in Rochester.   Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re working together to find him an opportunity elsewhere.   Seems KA really likes him and he’d do good by him. 

Yeah for sure. Also, i bet Krebs is arguing that he was never used right under Granato and was only being a team player filling any role they needed.

But i don't believe the Sabres trying to move him. For one, they won't get much for him. And two, i think he's the type of player Lindy really loves. Someone he can move up and down the lineup, a player that is willing to play with some sandpaper, fight if he has to, has playmaking skills. I don't think its crazy to expect him to match Casey Mittelstadt type numbers if used right